Sicily itinerary

Mar 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Sicily itinerary

Having read the many wonderful postings, I'm feeling a bit more confident in getting our Sicily itinerary together. We have about 10 days - would it make sense to split those between hotels in two areas (I'm thinking Palermo and Taormina), and then do day trips to the outlying towns and sights? It's hard to narrow an itinerary down, but we don't want to be running the entire time and packing and unpacking every other night. Do you think this would be practical? Thanks so much in advance for any advice!

Phyllis
Mar 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Each part of Sicily is different, and if you want to see most of the island, you just need to split the nights more. It won't make sense to be on the road 3-4 hours a day just because you don't want to unpack.

So, just depends on what you want to do. More leisurely and see just two regions of Sicily, or move more to see whole island.

With 10 days you can easily do Palermo 3 nights, Agrigento 1, Noto or Siracusa 2, then Taormina 2 or 3.
Mar 16th, 2007, 06:09 AM

I wouldn't recommend spending more than a couple of nights in Taormina. It's a lovely town, but you can see the sights within a day, and getting in and out of town for side trips is a pain because it's up on a mountain. Also, parking is challenging to put it mildly. I was there recently, and the only place I could park was in a public lot nearly 1 km away from my hotel. If you want to stay on that end of Sicily, the beach town of Giardini Naxos might be easier to use as a base.
Mar 16th, 2007, 06:22 AM

I agree about Taormina. See the town, walk the Corso in the evening, spend the night, and move on to a place with better access...
And make sure to get detailed driving directions in order to find your hotel on arrival...

Search this Thread