Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sicily it is" (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sicily-it-is-201127/)

Missy Apr 16th, 2002 04:53 PM

Sicily it is"

We have narrowed down our trip to Sicily during mid to late July, although we could change it to mid August. We live in florida, so like the warm weather, but would prefer warm not hot. Fly into Naples? Suggestions for a hotel overnight in Naples? Ferry info?<BR>Where is the best area to stay? Any and all suggestions welcome.I planned my Sorrento trip last year from this site and all the info was super!!!

Barry Apr 17th, 2002 06:03 AM

Hi Missy -<BR><BR>Word of warning ...<BR><BR>No comparison between Florida and Sicily in July/August. My son and his wife were stationed there (Catania) with the Navy for 3 years and their summers were miserable!!! The winds shift in July and starts coming in from the south... from North Africa... and they had many, many days in a row of 120+ degree heat (actual reading).. they even had to modify dutys in July and August and my son (SeaBees) had to have covers built over gate entrances so the guards could still stand outside... My daughter-in-law was born in Ft. Lauderdale and was stationed 3 years in New Orleans .... she said the summers in Sicily were "10 times worse"... (and I've been pretty miserable in New Orleans in the summer!!!)<BR><BR>There are better places in July!<BR><BR>Barry

GAC Apr 17th, 2002 07:56 AM

If you are planning to visit only Sicily, I suggest that you fly directly to Palermo or Catania, connecting in either Rome Fiumicino or Milano Malpensa. If you actually want to stop in Naples, you have three options to reach Sicily: 1) train; 2) overnight ferry to Palermo (Tirrenia Lines); and 3) fast ferry/hydrofoil to Palermo (SNAV Lines). I have posted information on this site on the overnight ferry and the fast ferry (which is a daylight journey taking half the time as the overnight ferry). You can obtain schedules and fares as follows:<BR>Trains: www.trenitalia.com<BR>Ferry: www.tirrenia.it<BR>Fast Ferry: www.snavali.com

Karen Apr 17th, 2002 06:54 PM

We were in Sicily in mid June and it was very hot (high 90's). I'm from Florida also, but the heat in Sicily really got to me. Maybe because we were actively sightseeing and outside most of the day while in Florida, everything is air conditioned and I don't have to be outdoors alot. I really enjoyed Sicily but next time I think I'll go off season.<BR>I strongly recommend either flying into Palermo or taking the fast ferry. Do not take the overnight one. We did and it was awful. Our cabin was tiny, the bunk beds were very hard and small and the room had a strange, musty smell. It was very hard to sleep, even my husband who can sleep anywhere and anytime, was uncomfortable. Also, we arrived about 7 a.m.and we were pretty exhausted but it was too early to check into our rooms. All I wanted was a short nap. I'd never do that again.

ttt Apr 18th, 2002 01:11 PM

topping