COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Sicily in May - Coronavirus?

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Sicily in May - Coronavirus?

Hi all-

We are looking forward to an 18 day trip to Sicily beginning on May 8th. Flu season is normally over by then, but I guess the Coronavirus is not the normal flu. How long would you wait to see if things get better before deciding if we need to cancel? Just curious what people think.

Thanks.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:06 PM

I have a trip to Greece planned for late May and I don't plan on making any decisions until early May at the earliest. I have travel insurance with a cancel for any reason rider, so I can always get back 75% of airfare if nothing else, and that is just if I am not comfortable and cancel myself. Who knows what the case will be if air travel is interrupted. The virus is in the US so I am mostly concerned with travel interruptions like getting stuck somewhere.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:11 PM

There has been one confirmed case of coronavirus in Sicily so far, compared with 53 confirmed cases in the USA. At the moment Sicily seems a safe destination, but who knows what will happen between now and May? Were it me I would continue my plans, and hope I don’t catch something while travelling there and back.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:42 PM

Who knows what will happen between now and then? Do you have travel insurance which will pay out for any reason, or if your government issues a negative travel advisory?
I would continue with your plans, within reason - no prepaid stuff if you can avoid it, and keep checking what is going on, both on news sites and your governments site. Try reading the BBC website or the Guardian for coverage of events. Maybe clearer than some sites.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 01:37 PM

Hi PSGMARTINO:

My trip to Sicily starts on 3rd April, for 18 days, from the UK.

I am monitoring the situation very closely and will update you with what I learn.

Your rights: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51615412...

Regards .. Ger
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the support and information. Unfortunately, our flights are non-refundable however I haven't checked with the airline to see if they can possibly be moved to a later date, which some airlines are doing. For now, we are going to wait it out and see what happens. We have several accommodations reserved, and full refunds are available. The earliest date where I can't cancel without a penalty is March 20th so we have a few weeks to see how things work out.