Sicily in May - Coronavirus?

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 11:55 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 328
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sicily in May - Coronavirus?

Hi all-

We are looking forward to an 18 day trip to Sicily beginning on May 8th. Flu season is normally over by then, but I guess the Coronavirus is not the normal flu. How long would you wait to see if things get better before deciding if we need to cancel? Just curious what people think.

PSGMARTINO is offline  
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:06 PM
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,181
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a trip to Greece planned for late May and I don't plan on making any decisions until early May at the earliest. I have travel insurance with a cancel for any reason rider, so I can always get back 75% of airfare if nothing else, and that is just if I am not comfortable and cancel myself. Who knows what the case will be if air travel is interrupted. The virus is in the US so I am mostly concerned with travel interruptions like getting stuck somewhere.
yorkshire is offline  
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:11 PM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,277
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There has been one confirmed case of coronavirus in Sicily so far, compared with 53 confirmed cases in the USA. At the moment Sicily seems a safe destination, but who knows what will happen between now and May? Were it me I would continue my plans, and hope I don’t catch something while travelling there and back.
Heimdall is offline  
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:42 PM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15,528
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who knows what will happen between now and then? Do you have travel insurance which will pay out for any reason, or if your government issues a negative travel advisory?
I would continue with your plans, within reason - no prepaid stuff if you can avoid it, and keep checking what is going on, both on news sites and your governments site. Try reading the BBC website or the Guardian for coverage of events. Maybe clearer than some sites.
hetismij2 is offline  
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 01:37 PM
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 481
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My trip to Sicily starts on 3rd April, for 18 days, from the UK.

I am monitoring the situation very closely and will update you with what I learn.

Your rights:

Regards .. Ger
OReilly64 is offline  
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 05:13 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 328
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the support and information. Unfortunately, our flights are non-refundable however I haven't checked with the airline to see if they can possibly be moved to a later date, which some airlines are doing. For now, we are going to wait it out and see what happens. We have several accommodations reserved, and full refunds are available. The earliest date where I can't cancel without a penalty is March 20th so we have a few weeks to see how things work out.
PSGMARTINO is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Jul 29th, 2020 11:03 AM
Jun 9th, 2020 11:20 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:51 PM.