Sicily in February

Dec 18th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Sicily in February

We're off to Sicily for a week in February flying in and out of Palermo. Want to spend half the time in Palermo but where else would people recommend? Also,any cheapish accommodation recommendations in Palermo and elsewhere? Pam
Dec 18th, 2003, 07:24 AM
GAC

In a mere week, I'd concentrate on Palermo, Agrigento and perhaps the east coast cities of Siracusa and Taormina. You could actually do Agrigento as a day trip from Palermo by train or bus (and spend a good 8 hours there). Taormina would be good as rest and relaxation, but it would be easier to fly out of Catania on the return. If you must return out of Palermo, you could take the train from Taormina back to Palermo via Messina, and thereby get good views of the Mediterranean sea, as well as a short stopover in Cefalu to visit the Norman Cathedral. With four days in Palermo and one day in Agrigento, you might not even want to stray all the way to the east coast of the island. Instead, you might want to take a day trip to Piazza Armerina/Roman Villa of Casale, which can be done out of Palermo by either rental car or public bus. Don't expect to find any organized sightseeing bus tours (day trips) from Palermo during February: you'll have to rely on public transportation or rent a car. For "cheapish accommodation" in Palermo, look at the Hotel Joli, the Hotel Gardenia, the Hotel Petit, the Hotel Principe di Belmonte, the Hotel Posta, and the numerous hotels along Via Roma in the direction of the train station. In Palermo, don't try to drive, just walk and use the city buses (for Monreale and Mondello).
Dec 18th, 2003, 08:48 AM

With only a week, I would recommend against trying to see both the west and east coasts of Sicily. Driving or training from Palermo to Taormina and back will take the better part of two full days. There is so much to see both inside Palermo and within a two hour drive of Palermo (Monreale, Segesta, Selinunte, Erice and even Trapani and Marsala)that it would be a shame to spend so much time traveling across the island and back. Agrigento is a little more that two hours from Palermo, but certainly could be done as a day trip. I suggest saving Taormina and the eastern cities for another trip.
Dec 18th, 2003, 09:50 AM
GAC

I agree. You could do a morning day trip to Segesta by bus (Tarantola Lines, from Piazza Marina) and a full day trip by bus to Trapani/Erice (but beware that Erice could be fogged in during the winter, making the trip much less satisfying). Selinunte is tough to reach without a rental car, but both Agrigento and Piazza Armerina can be visited by public transportation. You could also do Cefalu by train as a day trip out of Palermo (although the Cathedral of Monreale is much more impressive). Finally, the Roman ruins at Solunto (near Santa Flavia/Bagheria) are beautifully sited, and very close to Palermo itself (hourly buses).
Dec 31st, 2003, 03:29 AM

You might like to look at this thread from the forum about a bed-and-breakfast in Palermo:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

The Web site looks appealing.
Dec 31st, 2003, 11:39 AM

I just realized that the thread I posted earlier today is simply the "Europe" forum.

Here is the Web site of the Ai Cartari bed-and-breakfast in Palermo:

http://www.aicartari.com

You can find the original post if yu do a search for "Ai Cartari".