Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sicily and Aeolian Island TRAVELLING SOLO (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sicily-and-aeolian-island-travelling-solo-1039955/)

Hippocampus Mar 11th, 2015 08:55 PM

Sicily and Aeolian Island TRAVELLING SOLO

Hello!I just signed up cause I'm searching for advices on a trip in Sicily. In particolar I would looove to visit the Aeolian Islands. Has anyone experienced the Islands in just 1 trip, I mean what's the best way to visit them? Or its better to focus just on 1 or 2? I would travel alone so I don't really want to do too much adventurestyle but I like to organize pretty much everything befor go... It would not be my first time travelling solo but I've never been in Italy before. All types of suggestion are welcomed. Looking forward to your comments!!

kja Mar 11th, 2015 09:55 PM

Welcome, Hippocampus!

Quite a few of us have travelled to Sicily, and many of us have done so solo. I recommend that you search the board a bit, both by looking for trip reports on Sicily, and I recommend that you do so in two different ways:
1. Select Italy under "View by country" and then scroll down to the bottom, where you will see the section on trip reports. Read/skim any/all that sound relevant (and use the "search" feature at the upper right to scan them for sections on the Aeolians).
2. Use the "advanced search" feature (above and to the right), search for "Aeolian Islands" in "full topic and replies" and set first date to 3 years ago (it defaults to 1 year and won't allow a search for more than 3 years). That way, you can find a LOT of useful information that people provide on planning threads, info that doesn't necessarily end up in a trip report.

In the meantime, of the half-dozen or so guidebooks I used when planning my time in Sicily, the Rough Guide was BY FAR the one I found most useful.

neckervd Mar 12th, 2015 02:35 AM

What are you interested in?
There are boats and catmarans from Naples through all Islands up to Milazzo in Sicily. Leave the boat if you want to visit a Island and continue to the next one a day later.
If you are interested in 1 or 2 Islands only, you can visit them in a day trip from Milazzo.

jenmorg Mar 12th, 2015 12:21 PM

Last year in June we spent a week on Lipari and we loved it. We stayed at B&B Diana Brown and higy recommend it as Diana is spoessly clean , very well organised and well located.
We arrived there by ferry from Milazzo and we used the ferries and catamarans on most days to visit some of the other islands - Panarea and Vulcano. From Lipari you can catch a boat to all the other islands if you want. There are also daily tours which operate to the other islands.
I highly recommend a trip to the Aeolian islands.

Dayle Mar 12th, 2015 04:52 PM

Hippocampus,
I visited in 2013 and my trip included 5 days in the Aeolians. Highly recommend an un rushed and relaxing visit. Click on my name to read the TR. I planned my trip with the help of others here and their reports. I also traveled solo. No problems.

Sassafrass Mar 12th, 2015 06:27 PM

Bookmarking

kja Mar 29th, 2015 04:27 PM

@ laurapanico -- perhaps you failed to notice, when signing up for Fodor's, that advertising is not allowed?