Sicily/Aeolian Islands in March???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to be in Courmayeur skiing from 3/11 - 3/20/05. Since we're there, our thinking is to spend 10 days (3/20 - 3/30) more exploring Sicily and Panarea or Lipari. Is this a good time (weather-wise) to be in Sicily & the Aeolian Islands...or should we go elsewhere? Also...are many/most/all hotels/restaurants open for the season at that point? Another possibility would be Greece, but, then again, the weather would still be an issue. Help!!!!!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 10:42 AM

I asked the same question about a month ago. "Sicily March vs April." If you pull up that thread, you will see that April won by a landslide. Thanks.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 11:15 AM
GAC

The Aeolian Islands are so beautiful that I hesitate not to recommend them at any time of the year. You must be aware, however, that there are the following downsides to going to these small islands any time in March:

1. Lousy weather (rain, strong winds, cold, overcast, gloomy)
2. Many hotels and restaurants closed, particularly on Panarea (Lipari is a better choice off-season)
3. Weather too cold to swim
4. Hydrofoil service subject to cancellation due to strong gales. Even car ferry service can be interrupted at times.

On the other hand, the Sicilian mainland would be WONDERFUL to visit in late March, and 10 days only scratches the surface. You might consider taking a day trip (or an overnighter) from Milazzo to either Lipari or Vulcano, just to savor a "taste" of the Aeolian Islands.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 01:20 PM

Interesting, I am just beginning to plan a trip to Sicily for those exact dates. I, too, am considering staying on one of the Aeolian Islands (possibly Salina) for a few days. Because of the recent posts I was thinking about going in April instead, but the timing will be dictated by a decent airfare (I am waiting to see what the Fall fare sales will bring.).

I'll be interested to know how your itinerary develops.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 01:28 PM
GAC

Salina could be extremely beautiful on a clear, sunny day in March or April; I've been there in May, so I know. That is a good time to hike up to the top of Monte Fossa delle Felci (962 metres), from where you'll see all the islands as well as the Sicilian mainland. The public bus from Santa Marina, Malfa and Rinella will drop you near the trailhead. You could also rent a motorscooter on the island.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:37 PM

I was in Sicily(not Aeolian Islands) last March, it was warm and sunny(except two days rainy), everything was open but few torisits. The best part was millions of wild floweres blooming everywhere in the countryside.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

All: Well...I'm somewhat answering my own question, rhetorical though that it was. Apparently few/none of the hotels are open on the Aeolian Islands....well...more specifically, Panarea, before April 1. So that kind of eliminates them/it. Secondly, since the ski trip calendar is fixed, we'll BE in Italy with nothing to do on March 20. My thinking (still) is Sicily. And maybe a side trip to Malta. So the real question (should have been)....what's there to do in Sicily...and does it take 10 days to do it??? Of course Deb is always throwing things out like....Venice...or Greece. Tunisia??? I counter with Seville or Majorca. She sees my Majorca with a Corfu and raises me a Crete. This could go on.... Fortunately, March 2005 is seven months away.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 03:18 PM

Ramblero:

We just exchanged messages on the Greece v. Italy thread, so I know that you have looked into Sicily in considerable detail.

My brief answer to your question: Yes, you can spend 10 rewarding days in Sicily. The island is an incredible palimpsest of cultures, and Palermo is as different from Siracusa -- to use a well-worn cliche -- as cheese from chalk.