I'm looking advice for locations in Sicily. It's important to note that I've visited Italy 5 times in my life, and lived in the North for a year. So I'm totally comfortable navigating small towns and speaking enough Italian. That said, I've never travelled south of Rome (I know, I know I'm missing out) and am returning in October.
My trip will consist of visiting Puglia and Amalfi coast (before finishing in Rome), but I want to START with 3-4 days in Sicily (and then fly over to Bari when I'm done).
Where do I base myself in Sicily? Right now, I'm leaning on Taormina, but feel that it may be a bit too touristy. I'm looking for the equivelant of what Montepulciano or Montalcino is to Tuscany - the smaller area that is "off the beaten path" but still beautiful and populus enough. I've considered basing myself in Palermo or Catania, and just doing day-trips from there? I'd also like to be somewhere that I can easily day-trip from, and/or somewhere where I can hike. Is there a cinque-terre of the south??
People have mentioned the Aeolian islands but I feel like that may be tough to do only in 2-3 days, especially as a base? Or is island hopping easy once on one island?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best Gift For Valentines To a Boyfriend
- 2 Travel chat and reflections
- 3 Hiking - Suggest a location
- 4 The World's Greatest Churches
- 5 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 6 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 7 Advise Needed
- 8 naturalfitnesspoint.com/hair-bloom/
- 9 South of France
- 10 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 11 6 days in Slovenia and Croatia in January
- 12 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 13 Copenhagen, Stockholm & Bergen April 2018
- 14 Amsterdam at End of Year - Tickets for Museums
- 15 10 days in europe
- 16 Black Friday in Britain? Why?
- 17 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 18 Slovenia and Croatia in January (Solo)
- 19 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 20 land vs river cruise
- 21 Festival du Citron (Lemon Festival), Menton
- 22 Help with suggestions for Portugal 2 week trip
- 23 19 days Ireland by car - please advise
- 24 Scotland ideas
- 25 Tips for first trip to UK