Sibillini in June w/o Car

Apr 12th, 2019, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Sibillini in June w/o Car

Hello. I am planning on traveling to Umbria in June and wish to spend a week or so hiking around Sibillini National Park. I am an experienced hiker, but I will not be carrying a tent or other camping equipment and will need to stay in rifugios or B&Bs. I would prefer to rely on buses or other public transportation, rather than renting a car, if possible. This is my first trip to Italy, and I am excited by the prospect of visiting its less touristed regions, basing myself in local accommodation, and exploring by foot. I'm much more interested in observing the daily flow of life and seeing beautiful landscapes than in going to tourist attractions. The park's landscapes look spectacular, and I hope I get a chance to visit soon.

I am wondering if anyone has information on whether public transportation and the main refuges (i.e., Fargno) in Sibillini have been restored to normal service, after having been disrupted by the earthquake a few years ago. More generally, am I going to be able to access much of the park relying on buses and my feet rather than private transport? If Sibillini won't work out, due to earthquake damage or limited transport, what are some alternative locations in Italy with similar landscapes, abundant hiking, and good weather in early June (when the Alps will still have snow), as well as good access via public transportation? I'm already visiting Sicily in May, because I think it will fit the bill.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Todd

Last edited by toddking; Apr 12th, 2019 at 06:32 PM.