Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Shuttle vs. taxi for four from CDG to Le Regent on Dauphine

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Susan

I know this has been discussed but I am wondering if you can get a taxi that will hold four. Do they have van taxis that will hold four people and luggage. I think the shuttle service wants about 90.00 US to pick us up and we have to call and possible wait on them. If there is not much difference in price it seems the taxi would be easier.

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Mari

Hello Susan, <BR><BR>I'm not exactly sure about the taxi size, however it has been my husband's experience that most are on the small side - maybe three people with luggage would fit. But, some are Mercedes and those may be larger. There are van taxis, too.<BR><BR>It sounds as if you are going to Le Regent soon. We are staying there in July. Could you post your thoughts on this hotel when you return?<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Susan

Yes, I am looking forward to our first trip. We are leaving on May 25th. I actually have email Mark at Paris shuttle and have not gotten a response. For almost 100.00 dollars I would think you should not have to wait for a shuttle or taxi or whatever. I just don't know if a taxi would hold us.

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Mari

It is probably a good idea to try to find out about the taxis now. Maybe someone at the Le Regent can help you with that info. That way, if they say it is impossible, you can reserve the shuttle. <BR><BR>We had an awful experience once in Frankfurt, Germany. The taxis were small so we had to split up into two taxis - me with the two mothers and liggage and the other with my husband and son and luggage. We couldn't speak a word of German and the taxi driver claimed not to understand us. I just kept hoping that I would see my husband when we got to the train station. It is easier to stay together if possible.<BR><BR>Enjoy your first visit - very exciting! Let me know about the Le Regent, please.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Francine

For less than $100.00 you can take two taxis and do not think about calling a shuttle first, then wait for them, and if there are other poeple on that shuttle you will be driven arond Paris to watch other people getting off first. What we observed in CDG there are small taxi-vans that can easily accommodate four people. Forget about a shuttle.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Susan

Thanks for the input. It seems like such a simple task, a ride from airport to a hotel. I do not want to get split up however, like Mari mentions. How do you keep taxi drivers from driving you all over before going to the hotel, to up the rate? Is this a problem in Paris?

Old May 19th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Sherry

It is funny Susan, but the last time we were in Paris we stayed at Le Regent. When we were checking out, there was an older couple there waiting for a taxi. I have never seen so much luggage in my life for two people. They had been skiing in somewhere or other and they had sky equipment and tons of huge luggage. <BR>Anyway. The hotel had made arrangements for a large taxi, more like a station wagon type, to transfer them to the airport.<BR>They said they had to request a large taxi.<BR>So if I were you I would email Le Regent and ask. <BR>

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Jim

No problem getting a cab for four at CDG. Go to the Taxi stand and pick a larger taxi(There are plenty) Make sure its marked PARISIAN cab.<BR>There will be a minimal charge for the fourth passenger along with charges per pieces of luggage.

Old May 19th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Susan

Does anyone know what a taxi for four with four 26" suitcases should cost from CDG to Le Regent on Rue Dauphine?<BR>Even an educated guess.

Old May 19th, 2002, 11:25 AM
amy

Susan: The four of us have stayed at Le Regent about three times; our other hotels have been rather close to it.<BR><BR>Fares depend on traffic congestion a lot, so we've ranged from a low of $30 to a bad day of around $60. <BR><BR>We have not ever had a problem getting a taxi for four from CDG--haven't even had to get another taxi in the line--but we also have only one 22" roll-on per person.<BR><BR>As far as the question about preventing a taxi driver from driving you all over town, running up the fare...that's a bit hard. All I can say is that I've never felt cheated. There are two basic variations(perhaps I'd count one other, too) to get to the Left Bank from CDG (we go to Paris a lot)in a timely manner, but the last time we were there, the taxi driver was taking a true long route as far as I was concerned. I was in the front seat and looked at him, puzzled...he pointed to the radio, turned it up, and a Paris radio show was talking about two accidents on two routes. "Vous comprennez, madame?" he asked, and I nodded. He was very grateful for the tip at the end--I'm sure he still thought I felt he was cheating us.<BR>

Old May 19th, 2002, 11:44 AM
alison

Susan,<BR><BR>I also had a little difficult time getting a reply from Mark Hariss at Parishuttle. I had to send a "second request" before he answered. I believe that one time he said it was his day off. Otherwise, I'm not sure if he is just plain busy as he's the manager. But you can try again. He ususally answers in the end.

Old May 19th, 2002, 02:56 PM
xxx

Sooner or later people are going to realize that taking a shuttle in Paris is a total waste of time and money unless you are a single traveler. Two people can take a taxi for the same price -- and not have to call and wait for it, or stop at various other destinations enroute to your hotel. If there are three or four of you, the taxi becomes even a bigger bargain. What is the possible attraction of that stupid shuttle?

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:33 PM
xxx

Everyone has a their own preference. Stop trying to be so pushy. And what's your attraction to those stupid taxis?

Old May 19th, 2002, 05:14 PM
xxx

Duh, let's make a choice"<BR><BR>OPTION #1) I can pre-arrange a shuttle. When I arrive at CDG I need to get a phone and call the shuttle service saying I'm there. Then I wait an average of half-hour, possibly more for them to pick me up. On the way to my hotel, we may go out of the way and drop other people at their hotels. The total cost for two people is probably about $60 US.<BR><BR>OPTION #2) I don't make any advance plans. As soon as I clear customs I go to the taxi line and get into a taxi. It takes me directly to my hotel, no waiting and no stopping. The total cost for two people is about $40 US.<BR><BR>Duh, guess I'm being pushy, but which do you think is a better option?????

Old May 19th, 2002, 05:35 PM
StCirq

Susan: Take only a taxi or van or stationwagon marked Taxi Parisien. In all likelihood, there will be a guy directing you toward a suitable taxi. The sedan-type taxis in Paris are only allowed to carry three passengers, but the vans and stationwagons can carry more, so that's what you should be directed to. Yes, it will be cheaper than taking the shuttle for 4 people. It should run $30-$40, depending on day, time of day, and traffic.

Old May 19th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Patrick

I agree with the infamous xxx above. Why in the world would anyone take a shuttle (assuming there are two or more of you) when a taxi is cheaper, easier, and quicker?<BR>I learned a long time ago, the same thing is true in New York. In London, I've found that a private car service is the best for me -- far cheaper than a taxi, and just as quick and just as inexpensive as two tickets on one of the express lines plus a taxi to my hotel. <BR>Different cities call for different measures, but I sure can't figure out what anyone sees in the Paris shuttles, unless they are only one person traveling alone.

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:40 PM
elvira

If I travel alone, with just my 22" rollaboard, I take the RER into Paris. If I have extra luggage, then I take a taxi. For four people, definitely take the taxi.<BR><BR>I've only taken a shuttle here in the U.S. a couple of times, and I didn't like being driven all over the city to drop off others - just a weird personality quirk, I guess.<BR><BR>As Patrick points out, a hired car/driver isn't a bad choice, either. The driver meets you outside customs/immigration, helps you get your baggage to the car, is usually parked at the curb, and takes you right to the hotel - or you can arrange for a tour of the city before he drops you off. You can also ask for an English-speaker, so s/he can answer the "what's that?".

Old May 19th, 2002, 08:24 PM
XXX

To xxx (aka "Duh"):<BR><BR>You assume a shuttle for 2 is $60.00. For your information, you can get a shuttle for as low as $13/pp.<BR><BR>And if a hired car is cheaper than that, I'd take it too. <BR>

Old May 19th, 2002, 10:01 PM
mark

Dear Susan<BR><BR>Sorry for the delay in replying tp your e mail but I ve just got back from

Old May 19th, 2002, 10:05 PM
mark

( ill start again )just got back from a week end in London.<BR>If you check your e mail you will find your confirmation.<BR>The price of 107 euros was for a private eight seater van.<BR>If you had reserved a regular shuttle service the cost of your transfer would have been approx. half the above fare.<BR><BR>best regards ,<BR><BR>Mark <BR>Parishuttle<BR><BR><BR>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -