Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Shuttle from CDG to Republique (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/shuttle-from-cdg-to-republique-499791/)

macauchick Jan 30th, 2005 05:10 PM

Shuttle from CDG to Republique

Greetings!

I know there is a chance I will be flamed for asking a VERY common question, but I am stumped. Which shuttle is reliable? Has anyone used Blue Shuttle lately? They have a good rate for a family of 4. Any others that you would recommend? We just want an easy trip into the city without a huge cost!

Thanks in advance!

Suzanne2 Jan 30th, 2005 05:51 PM

Check Paris shuttle.

Flyboy Jan 30th, 2005 06:01 PM

The cab fare to Republique isn't too bad; 35 Euros or less. Considering the potential hassle factor that a shuttle entails, that would be my choice.

macauchick Jan 30th, 2005 06:15 PM

Flyboy,

Don't Paris taxis accept a maximum of 3 people only? We are 2 adults and 2 kids. What kind of shuttle hassles are you referring to?

Thanks

Flyboy Jan 30th, 2005 06:42 PM

You can get taxis that will take two adults and two children from CDG without too much difficulty. The hassle factor of a shuttle is that you're looking for a particular driver and vehicle. You may meet up seamlessly. You may have to call upon arrival. You may have to wait. With a taxi, it's there and you're on your way without any coordinating, etc.

macauchick Jan 30th, 2005 07:01 PM

Flyboy,

Thanks for the info on the taxis and the shuttle hassle. Made me do a little more research and it seems that most people recommend the taxi route! It also drew my attention to the hotel website, which gave me an estimate of 40 euros for the taxi ride...far cheaper than the shuttle we were considering. We're going for this, as long as the taxis will carry 4 people.

Thanks again for your help!

Flyboy Jan 30th, 2005 07:40 PM

No problem. I think that at 40 Euros, you may even have your tip covered, depending on the time of day. I've stayed in the Republique area several times and it's a great place to base from. There are great metro connections with 5-6 lines coming into Republique and it's a very active neighborhood.

StCirq Jan 30th, 2005 07:47 PM

That old 3-maximum people in a taxi rule is about a decade old at this point. We've been traveling as a family of four for more than 15 years now and I can vouch for the fact that a zillion Parisian taxis are prepared to take 4 or more passengers.

macauchick Jan 31st, 2005 06:33 AM

Flyboy and StCirq,

Thanks again for the information. We have been stressing about this...I really did not want to attempt the Metro/RER with luggage AND kids! After seeing your post lastnight, my husband and I felt more certain than ever that a taxi is the way to go!

I'm glad to hear that the 3-person rule is old news!

Republique seems like a perfect location for us. We are really looking forward to seeing this part of Paris. My husband and I have been once before, but this is a first trip for our children. They are very excited and look forward to seeing everything Paris has to offer.

Fodors comes thru again! Thanks to you all!

Christina Jan 31st, 2005 11:25 AM

There is a very nice carrousel in the center area of place Republique and a lot of families with little kids will be around there. I don't know when you're going, but I know it's there in nice weather.

jlillberto Jan 31st, 2005 02:18 PM

Funny when we were in Paris five years ago and needed taxis for four, it was only possible to get one if specifically ordered. I've read they've since amended the practice.

macauchick Jan 31st, 2005 02:25 PM

We are leaving Saturday for one week. We are going to be COLD, but happy!!! I doubt the carousel will be there, but we will be having fun just the same!

Thanks again, for all replies!

Kelbert Jan 31st, 2005 02:37 PM

Macauchick--Can't wait to hear about your trip. I am staying near Place de Republique the beginning of April. Still trying to decdie on what shuttle company to use.

macauchick Jan 31st, 2005 02:53 PM

I'll post for sure about our taxi experience. What hotel are you thinking of?

Kelbert Jan 31st, 2005 03:40 PM

Macauchick--I have actually rented an apartment on rue Beranger. It is a one bedroom, bathroom w/ a tub AND shower, laptop w/ DSL.....I'm very excited!! Where are you staying?

macauchick Feb 17th, 2005 07:33 AM

Just wanted to post an update. Taxi is definitely the way to go. Cost much less than a shuttle and gave us a chance to try out our (poor!) French! We had great drivers both ways and really made our trip so much more fun! We stayed at the Holiday Inn Republique...not the truely unique Paris experience, but a great location. The square was busy every night...there was even a parade our first evening! Not sure for what, but it was fun to watch from the hotel room. Republique is so accessible, 5 metro lines just right outside our hotel. We had a wonderful trip and are looking forward to visiting France again.

Flyboy Feb 17th, 2005 09:02 AM

Thanks for the update. I've used the Holiday Inn-Paris Republique several times and I'm not surprised to hear that you found it a good choice. It is a very nice property and when you can get a decent rate, it's an especially good value for the money. (Once inside the rooms, it's hard to remember that the building dates back to 1865, isn't it?)

Kelbert Feb 17th, 2005 09:07 AM

Thanks for the tip about the taxi Macauchick. I arrive the first week of April and am staying in that area....near the Republique. Did you stumble across anything in that area that you feel is a must do/see/eat?

Robespierre Feb 17th, 2005 09:26 AM

I never understood why people find it possible to get their luggage and kids from their house to the car, from the car to the airplane, and from baggage claim to the taxi or shuttle...

but not from baggage claim to the RER.

It's no less convenient to access than the shuttles and taxis, it gets you downtown in a few minutes, and it's cheaper than anything else, especially if you've got kids. (If they're under 11, €26.80 for the lot.)

It's a 5-minute ride to Republique, and you can stop and regroup after arriving at Gare du Nord and <u>still</u> get to the hotel sooner.

Travelnut Feb 17th, 2005 09:43 AM

<i>&quot;...people find it possible to get their luggage and kids from their house to the car, from the car to the airplane, and from baggage claim to the taxi or shuttle...&quot;</i>

maybe they are too <i>tired</i> by this time :)