Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Shuttle CdG to Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/shuttle-cdg-to-paris-837179/)

trotsky Apr 24th, 2010 06:29 PM

Shuttle CdG to Paris

We will arrive in Paris 19 May, after a long flight Happy to use an airport shuttle to our hotel in 5e & have seen several where they require an online booking prior to arrival Is it possible to organise a walk-up shuttle when we arrive rather than having to prebook. I've looked at the usual suspects, including ParisBlue, Paris shuttle & World Airport Transfer Do Fodorites have any other favourites? We are not really interested in taking the bus/metro option at the start of the trip Thanks for your help Trotsky

adrienne Apr 24th, 2010 07:00 PM

You could take the Air France bus but then you'd need a cab to your hotel.

Any reason why you don't want to pre-book a shuttle?

ParisAmsterdam Apr 24th, 2010 07:03 PM

A 'walk up shuttle' would be a taxi I should
think?

TPAYT Apr 24th, 2010 07:28 PM

We've taken everything from the RER, private driver, cab, and shuttle.

IMO, pre-book a shuttle---the easiest if you are uncertain.

trotsky Apr 24th, 2010 09:18 PM

The reason we are reluctant to prebook a shuttle is that we may be meeting up with others & will not know till quite close to when we fly By walk up shuttle I meant whether it was possible to go to (say) the info desk & book on a shuttle into Paris there, rather than prebooking However it looks like we will prebook- I have no problem with this as I have done it before As I said, it is only the possibility that we may be travelling with others from CdG Thanks for your replies

Christina Apr 25th, 2010 07:38 AM

You cannot book walk-up shuttles in Paris, I think the Taxi union won't allow it. I know you can in some cities, but you can't in Paris.

AlessandraZoe Apr 25th, 2010 09:28 AM

If you have never taken a taxi before, you might want to try it.

Honestly, we have no bad stories after years/dozens of travel to Paris, and it's so nice not to have to pre-plan or have to find a meeting point, especially when your flight is delayed--OR EARLY!

The only time we ever used a shuttle from/to CDG was to return to the airport when we were only a party of two because I thought "Well, this might be more cost effective". I hated it that we had to make three stops at other hotels before we were "on our way."

CJT0427 Apr 25th, 2010 02:29 PM

I have a question related to this. I will be arriving in CDG in mid-September with my mother who uses a walker - one of those 4-wheel-with-a-seat deals. We will also have 3 full-size suitcases as we will be in France for 5 weeks and take 1 suitcase full of extra stuff for her comfort. We will need transportation into Paris (Left Bank), then from Paris to Orly where we will pick up our car for the remainder of our trip. I'm trying to figure out the best way for us to get from CDG into Paris, then to Orly: hired car (kind of pricey), taxi (are they large enough to handle all of our stuff?), or shuttle. Can anyone provide some input on this for us. Much appreciated. Thanks.

AlessandraZoe Apr 25th, 2010 04:00 PM

CHT0427--I would hate to have you interpret my response as any kind of criticism because I am only interested in a) your getting solid responses to your needs and b) having your question serve as information for those in similar circumstances in the future. Therefore, I encourage you to make your question a separate post.

My gut instinct is that a taxi may be able to accomodate you. The person in charge of the taxi rank typically assesses party needs. I think he/she would be able to assess your mother's condition and point to a taxi cab best able to suit your needs. There are a lot of taxi "vans" on the road now.

However, I just do not think I am an expert. I will do my best to research this for you and reply later. In the meantime, I do heartily encourage you to make this a separate post in hopes that you can draw responses from people who have been in your shoes.

Good luck!

Alessandra

CJT0427 Apr 25th, 2010 06:14 PM

Thank,s Alessandra -- After I posted my question, I thought "oh, I should have done this on a separate post," so will do that now. I'm sort of new at this posting business, so appreciate your input.

It's been 10 years since we've been to Paris, so I'm sure there have been a lot of changes in transportation between CDG & Paris since then.

Thanks!
Carolyn

trotsky Apr 26th, 2010 03:42 PM

Thanks to all who have replied- we will prebook. And thanks to Christina I now know that you must preorder, as I was unaware that the taxi drivers' union has Paris sewn up