Italy in September

Search

Italy in September

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in September

We are celebrating our 25th anniversary with a 2 week trip to Italy in September 2011

We will fly into Venice, travel by train to Florence and are renting an apartment for 10 days in Florence. We plan to use Florence as our base and take day trips to different places like Lucca, Siena, San G, Cortona etc. We will end our trip with 2 nights in Venice and fly home from there.

My questions:

1. Does it make sense to take a 1 day trip to Rome? If so, what are the must sees?

2. How about Umbria? Can we take a day trip there from Florence? Can we get there by train? Should we stay?

What else do you recommend?

Thank you!
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM

It certainly makes sense to take a day trip to Rome and I would suggest you travel by train to avoid the horrendous Rome traffic. If you plan your day you should be able to see the Colosseum, St. Peters and the Vatican, the Pantheon, the Trevi fountain and the Spanish Steps area. We have done those places in a day from Florence by train. Use the Metro at the Spanish Steps to get you back to Termini, the main Rome Railway station.
Hire a car to tour Tuscany and Umbria from Florence. The places you mention are must sees as well as Montepulciano and Pisa.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 12:33 AM

Rome is most definitely worth a visit and - if you've not yet booked that apartment - you might even go straight there from Venice, and stay for a night or two?

Otherwise it's only 90 minutes by train down from Florence, but there's quite a lot to see!

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/lazio

Peter
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 03:58 AM

I would not just take a day-trip to Rome (but I'm a little biased living there 3+ years). You should go - and do spend the night - not just a day trip.

Why? Well, look at the pictures in the link below and what you'll miss at night. Click on a couple of the videos at the end of the article. After seeing this, perhaps you'll reschedule! Have fun!

http://tinyurl.com/rome-night
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 04:44 AM

rineurope. Thank you for the wonderful link to the Rome at night photos. I'm trying to explain to my dh my need to spend time in Rome.....maybe these photos will do it.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 07:24 PM

Linda, hubs and I spent one week in Rome running hard, and we didn't come close to seeing everything we wanted. I think that's why they call it the Eternal City - you want to keep coming back again and again! That, and the 3000 years of history. Try to spend as much time as you can there. It's beautiful!
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I appreciate your recommendations and feedback.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 04:57 PM

Linda,

My advice regarding your planned apt rental in Florence is:

Take a good look at how much time you want to spend IN Florence (to see sights of your choice) vs. towns in the "countryside" you want to visit. Florence is not a good base for countryside day trips - unless you only want to see the larger Tuscan towns/cities that are easy to reach by train/bus.

Remember most of the smaller hilltowns do not have train stations very nearby. Buses are better, but not very convenient. Plus - driving and parking in Florence is a very bad idea.

When you decide upon your time alotment - stay in Florence and concentrate on the city for x number of days. Then pick up a car and spend time in the countryside. IMO to experience the Tuscan/Umbrian countryside, you need to STAY in the countryside. Plus you will do much less backtracking to Florence every day.

Renting an apt or staying at the countryside is just as easy as finding one in Florence.

Buon viaggio!