Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should we stay near Spanish Steps in February?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start by saying that I have been pouring over this site the past several days and have learned so much! Thanks to all who give of their time and knowledge.

My husband and I just found out that we're going to be in Rome for four days starting February 9. I usually like to have a lot more time to plan, so I'm doing "speed planning". So, sorry if I ask stupid questions.

First things first - hotel. I currently have a room reserved at the Aberdeen (90 Euros) and another at the San Carlo (100 Euros). I am being unusually indecisive.

My question is this - do I want to stay by the Spanish Steps in February? I have been to Rome one other time about seven years ago. It was early April and I remember thinking "What's so great about the Spanish Steps?" There were no flowers, very few people about. Just did not strike me as something to see. But I have heard that there are great restaurants in that area (not interested in shopping).

Around the Aberdeen I have read that good restaurants might be a hike away (20-25 minutes). However, that area looks closer to many of the sites I want to see - Colosseum, St. Peter in Chains, Piazza Novona, Campo dei Fiori, Pantheon, etc. We will also be going to St. Peter's and the Vatican, but assume a bus or Metro would be appropriate from either location.

Please Fodorites, give me guidance!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:29 AM

Really, I have found that good restaurants abound everywhere in Rome, along with some pretty bad ones. I suggest you pick an area of the city you most want to stay in, get a hotel room there, and then wander or take public transportation everywhere. If you select an area (such as Piazza Navona, for instance) then ask for advice on good restaurants in the area, you will get lots of responses. Good luck.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:58 AM

If you do decide to stay near the Spanish Steps perhaps you'll want to take a look at this little budget hotel gem (I'm not sure at what level of accommodation you prefer to stay in), the Pensione Panda. It's one of Capo's favorites.
http://www.pensionepanda.com/
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:35 PM
ira

>I have been pouring over this site the past several days ...<

Aha! That's why the fodor's server has been so unreliable.

Lot's of folks have recommended the Pzza Navona area.

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:55 PM

I agree with the assessment as to there being great restaurants in many areas of the city.

I am quite frankly amazed at how many people here whose worst fate seems to be staying anywhere that is "touristy" and how they love to stay "near the Spanish Steps."

You've seen them; they haven't changed, believe me, and they still aren't doing anything nearly as dramatic, or memorable, as the Trevi Fountain is!!

Have a great trip wherever you decide to lay your head.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:26 PM

We stayed right by the Spanish Steps two years ago in February at the Hotel Condotti. It was a great location, not too busy and with loads of great shops around. Each night, we had dinner at a local restaurant, and never had a bad meal. I don't think I would want to stay in the same location in the summer.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:37 PM

February is a good time to visit Rome. The weather is pleasant for walking, crowds are not bad, and prices are relatively low. It helps to stay near a Metro stop; even so, you will be doing a lot of walking since the Metro does not serve the entire city.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:41 PM

The Spanish Steps are very touristy. If you don't mind the crowds milling about above and below, around the fountain, up Via Condotti, etc. then go for it. I prefer to stay in a more unique "neighborhood" place (such as the Campo dei Fiori).

Since you indicated the Aberdeen is closer to the things you would like to stay, then that sounds like the place for you.

As Wayne and the others have said, there are good restaurants everywhere throughout Roma. It's as easy to stumble upon a wonderful, family-owned trattoria in the Campo dei Fiori as it is in the Piazza Navona area.

February is a great month to go - very little tourists and no lines!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks to everyone who has responded. I agree that February seems to be a great time to go. And we just lucked into it. My husband has to go to Munich on business, so we decided to fly to Rome for a few days. I'm hoping he will get the Italy bug and want to go back again and again.

On this forum and on Tripadvisor I have read that the staff at the Aberdeen is very helpful. That will probably make all the difference when it comes to finding great places to eat.

Thanks again to everyone! I have a million questions running through my mind and certainly the answer is somewhere in this vast pool of knowledge.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:28 PM

jrchapma, stay near the Pantheon. There are many excellent restaurants in the area, and many have good prices as well. Also many sights to see in the area...the Pantheon, Trevi fountain, etc.

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:51 AM

In my opinion Spanish Stairs, Pantheon, Piazza Navonna and trevi are all so close that it doesn't make that much difference. We've walked to all of them and the Vatican, Campo de Fiori and Trastevere and beyond. I like the Spanish Stairs area because you can cut thru the Metro station and take the escalotors to reach the Via Veneto and Villa Borghese areas. It's also close to Pza de Popoli with another metro station.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:48 AM

To answer your question in a roundabout way:

There are great restaurants everywhere. Personally, I would up my hotel budget by 20E/night to get a comparable place in the Piazza Navona or Pantheon area.

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

I've done a lot of reading and a lot of research and am having a hard time finding something reasonably priced (that is also well thought of) in the Piazza Navona or Pantheon area. If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it! Many thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:35 AM

Here's a start:

http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/listings/navona.asp

Also try posting a new thread: "Need Piazza Navonna/Pantheon area hotel recs for under $___"
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:48 AM

We stayed at the Aberdeen in November, and I would have not paid more to stay closer to Piazza Navona. We loved the Aberdeen, and found it very convenient for getting around. We usually ended up eating our biggest meal in the middle of the day, when we were out and about anyway.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

nonnafelice - thank you for your comments on the Aberdeen. I have read many good things about the hotel and that's why I chose it. Can you give me any idea how long it took you to walk to some of the sites of Rome? The web says that the hotel is near a metro stop and bus lines. Is that true?
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:20 AM

100 E is a very good price for the Hotel San Carlo; we paid 150 there in March two years ago and thought it was good value for that area. Also, its location (a block or two from the bottom of the Spanish Steps) is very convenient for walking to anywhere in the Centro Storico -- Pzza Navona, Pantheon, Campo dei Fiori, and more. Just because it is near the Spanish Steps does not mean you need to hang out on the Steps. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:59 AM

Re: "Can you give me any idea how long it took you to walk to some of the sites of Rome? The web says that the hotel is near a metro stop and bus lines. Is that true?"

We walked several times to or from Piazza Navona -- maybe 15 - 20 mins. It's hard to say exactly, because we would usually stop along the way to windowshop, drop in to one of the many beautiful churches in the area or (as once happened) catch the changing of the guard at the Quirinale, which is just a short way up the street.

Yes, the hotel is very convenient to bus and metro. Via Nazionale is just a block away, and buses to just about everywhere run on that street. And the metro (Repubblica) is just a couple blocks farther up Nazionale. The Pantheon / Navona area, while more central, is not so accessible to the Metro.

The hotel itself is on a pretty quiet street, at least by Rome standards.

If you want to read more about our experiences while staying at the Aberdeen, I have a trip report online, where the Rome part starts at:
http://www.rozault.com/italy2004/report09.html