Reload this Page >

Should we stay in Siena?

Search

Should we stay in Siena?

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Karen

Should we stay in Siena?

We're planning to stay in Rome for 5 nights (arriving from LA), 4 nights in Florence and 3 nights in Venice. Also planning to drive to Siena, then to Florence. Should we stay 1 night in Siena and Rome 4 nights instead? Websites to book Siena hotels? Which hotel? (3 stars)<BR><BR>Thanks

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Vita

I would recommend not losing out on some of Rome to spend a night in Siena, especially since you'll be tired your first day in Italy and probably won't do a lot of sightseeing. Also, it will be another hotel to check in to for just one night.<BR><BR>Part of the reason that people stay in Siena is to enjoy the town in the evening after the day tourists have left. Since you have a car, I would recommend doing a nice dinner there and leaving for Florence later in the evening. The only qualifier there is that I didn't drive when I was in Italy so I don't really know what it would be like driving from Siena to Florence in the evening.<BR><BR>If you do decide to spend a night in Siena, I stayed at Hotel Chiusarelli. I thought it was OK. It's reviewed in the Rants and Raves section on this site and I believe it has parking.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Louis Parent

Siena is nice, but can easily be visited in 4 hours. Don't spend more time there

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:12 PM
JEAN

Since no one asked the question, why were you thinking of staying a night in Sienna? Do you want to take a break from driving between Rome and Florence? Are you asking if is "worth" spending a night in Sienna? Do you want to explore Tuscany a little bit? Why you want to stay, will garner a more informed response. Sienna is a beautiful town and its wonderful to be able to explore it in the early morning before it becomes crowded. It is also lovely in the evening when you will encounter more locals than in Venice, Florence or Rome.

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Mark

I just returned from Italy, and we spent a night in Siena. I wouldn't sacrifice a night in Rome or Florence for Siena. It was nice, but definitely not the highlight of our trip. Rome was wonderful. Regardless, we stayed at Palazzo Ravizza (http://www.palazzoravizza.com) and it was adequate. The rooms were small, but the views were nice. Ask for a garden view room. We paid 200 euros/night which included half pension (dinner).<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:49 PM
jc

We spent three days in Siena last month. It was a highlight of the trip. Relaxed, endlessly explorable, and a good base for other Tuscany trips.

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:25 AM
ppp

To me, for a 1st visit, 5 nights in Rome, one in Siena and 3 in both, Florence and Venice sounds very good. Contrary to Louis´ opinion, I´d certainly reserve more than just 4 hours to Siena. Plan to arrive in the afternoon and leave after lunch the next day. Enjoy Piazza del Campo both, in the evening and in the early morning (having breakfast on the caff&eacute; terrace overlooking the Piazza is pure magic.

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Carol

I agree with jc and ppp...Siena is definitely worth an overnight. We left Florence one day early because we just needed to get away from the noise of Florence and into the country. Of course, one can spend a month in Florence and not see it all, but a ride through Tuscany and spending even one night there is a unforgettable.<BR><BR>We also stayed at Palazzo Ravizza. It is a bit tired looking and our room was small but we were glad to get it at the last minute. The dinner was excellent and the views just lovely. But there are posts on this site for other hotels...just do a search for Siena hotels.<BR><BR>Our next trip to Italy will have at least a week in Tuscany.<BR><BR>Such a wonderful dilemma you have. Enjoy.<BR>

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Capo

Personally, I'd trade a night in Florence, rather than a night in Rome, for a night in Siena. <BR><BR>Like jc, the nights (five) we spent in Siena recently were one of the highlights of our trip. Other people don't feel Siena is even worth one night, so it just goes to show how differently we all feel about places.