Reload this Page >

Should we stay in Santa Margherita?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 07:01 AM
Stephanie

We are going to spend 5 days in the Cinque Terre region. From all that I've read, it seems like Santa Margherita would be a great central location to stay in to get to the villages and other locations, such as portofino. Is this a good idea? Are there restaurants and things to do there at night? If so, does anyone have a good suggestion for a hotel that is under $125/night. We will not have a car. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! <BR> <BR>grazie- <BR> <BR>stephanie

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 07:35 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

hello Stephanie, The obvious choice is the Hotel Jolanda-- you can find it at <BR>www.venere.it. Hard to beat for price <BR>and location. S.M. is a great place to <BR>base yourself, but do not mistake this for the C.T. The entire LIGURIAN COAST <BR>south of Genoa is more than 100 miles <BR>of fabulous venues, but the C.T. is only <BR>about 10 miles of it. Try not to miss <BR>Camogli, Levanto, Portovenere, and of <BR>course Vernazza. Have fun !

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 09:36 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Bob, came across Hotel Jolanda during a web search and it looks good. Couldn't tell from the site whether it was out of town or actually in Santa Margherita though. We'd prefer something central, being able to walk to most places. Would the Jolanda work? Thanks.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 09:39 AM
Stephanie

Good question, Brian. We also will not have a car so we need something that's located centrally so we don't have to drive around (although it sounds like a small enough town to walk).

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 05:54 PM
nancy

Stephanie,We stayed there in June. Planned to stay one night...stayed three!It is a lovely town. You can go by bus to the nearby towns...There are many good restaurants along the main street and on the side streets. <BR> We stayed in two hotels...try initaly,com for accomodations &lt;travelers <BR>give advice and hotels are shown &lt;with pictures and rates.&lt;web sites&gt;

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 06:08 PM
Leone

Dear Stephanie: I am going to Santa Margherita in Liguria next March with my daughter and 2 granddaughters. As we will not be having a car and wished to have a central location, this town seemed the best place. I read many favorable messages on Rick Steves' Grafitti Board for the Hotel Nuova Riviera, web site: space.tin.it/viaggi/gsabin/eng/home.htm and booked with them. <BR>My best to you on your search. Leone <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 06:21 AM
Ellen

I love the Jolanda! It is walking distance of the water, the bus to Portofino down on the water, the local train to cinque Terre towns. I'd stay there again without any hesitation! <BR>Ellen

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 07:59 AM
steph

how about the Hotel Metropole? We got an email back from them that they have availability and it looks good on the web. Haven't heard from Hotel Jolanda - but emailed them on you all's recommendation. <BR> <BR>steph

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 12:27 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Stephanie, I may have been wrong before. When I take a closer look at the Jolanda's web site again, it looks like it may well be very central. And overall it looks fantastic. <BR> <BR>We're planning on a couple days in SML and then 3 in a Cinque Terre town in early March. When are you going?

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 12:33 PM
Kay

We stayed in SML a few years ago in a hotel that was a good ways from the rail station but doable with our wheeled bags. I am sorry the name escapes me now. We found it in a guidebook. From there we tried to find the hiking trail that we knew ran to Portofino but were guided to walk along the road (not a good idea) so used the bus back from Portofino. It was a pretty site but not worth a long visit in my opinion. We then took the train down to the CT and did the entire walk between the towns on another day. It does take awhile to get to the first town. As our breakfast at the hotel wasn't very good the previous day, we left early and bought a pastry and beverage at a cafe enroute to the train. Thoroughly enjoyed the villages, then dropped ourselves exhausted on a train back late evening. We had no trouble finding places to eat in SML. I particularly remember walking up a boulevard away from the water to a restaurant for great pizza and pasta at lower prices than those on the water. We enjoyed strolling near the water in the evening as well when the traffic died down a little so it wasn't so incredibly noisy.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 12:41 PM
stephanie

Thanks for the info Kay. You've convinced me that we made a good decision to stay in SML for a few days. <BR> <BR>Brian- we are going in May. We booked at the Hotel Metropole - you may want to check out the website - www.metropole.it. The Jolanda looks great, but Chris really liked the looks of the metropole, and also because the owners sent us a really nice email full of useful information. Hoe you enjoy your trip. <BR> <BR>Thanks, everyone for your suggestions! <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 11:09 AM
Larry

Just back and spent three nights in SML. <BR>Stayed at a cheap hotel about 20' from the train station - Angelo's Hotel Terminus - lots of steps down to town but great for access to the Cinque Terre - about an hour to Monterosso. Rooms are sparse but clean - great view from 222. Had a really good meal downtown at Da Alfredo - we were the only tourists there - Ask for Roberto - reasonable prices - went back the next night. Can take bus to Portofino - go to the castle for a view - the light house trip beyond the castle was superfluous in our opinion. <BR> <BR>Check your train schedules carefully and plan your villages accordingly. We missed Corniglia and Manarola - we liked Riomaggiore the best - most quaint, Vernazza pretty but gave the feeling of a backpackers town - that's not bad, just different - Lunch at Gambero Rosso outside was good, not great.Monterosso is biggest with traffic <BR>and such.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 11:25 AM
stephanie

Larry: <BR> <BR>Thanks for the scoop. We will definately use your advice and will say hi to Roberto for you! <BR> <BR>Steph