Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should we spend our last night closer to the Brussels airport?

Sep 21st, 2019, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

After a river cruise we plan to take the train from Antwerp to Bruge and spend two days there. The third morning we fly out of Brussels at 11:30. Should we spend the last night closer to the Brussels airport?
Sep 21st, 2019, 03:50 AM

I wouldn't; there is a direct train from Brugge to the airport. It takes about 1,5 hours. If you are flying intercontinental you may need to be at the airport at 8:30; there is a direct train every hour (though maybe less trains on weekends). You will have to get up early, but it gives you an extra evening in Brugge.
I wouldn't attempt a taxi at that time in the morning, as you will hit rush hour traffic near Brussel, and that can be awful.

www.belgianrail.be
Sep 21st, 2019, 04:01 AM

If you don't want a 1.5 hr train trip before your flight then stay near the airport. There are many airport hotels to choose from including the Sheraton which is right at the airport. The traffic around Brussels and the airport is pretty bad, I've been caught in traffic jams many times, including the short hop from an airport hotel.
Sep 21st, 2019, 07:56 AM

I would never sleep 1.5 hours by train from a morning flight. You won't lose any useable 'Bruges time' really if you take an evening train to BRU. Stick around until after dinner then take a late train and sleep near BRU.
Sep 21st, 2019, 08:06 AM

It's probably because I'm local; I would never spend a night near Brussels airport and would always opt for the train.
But I understand it might be more comfortable for some travellers. If you do, go for the Sheraton.
Sep 21st, 2019, 10:37 AM

I spent my last night in Namur, a 45-60 minute drive to the airport, then had to fill up my gas tank, return my rental and go to the terminal for my flight back to the US. No problems and made it in plenty of time. Different strokes for different folks.
Sep 21st, 2019, 11:22 AM

For peace of mind, sleep in one of the airport hotels in Brussels.
Sep 21st, 2019, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by joannyc View Post
I spent my last night in Namur, a 45-60 minute drive to the airport, then had to fill up my gas tank, return my rental and go to the terminal for my flight back to the US. No problems and made it in plenty of time. Different strokes for different folks.

Of course it CAN be done. Probably most of us have done something similar. That doesn't make it a good idea. One little hiccup and you'd miss the flight home.
Sep 22nd, 2019, 12:57 AM

Before a long flight (and a probably late arrival), I wouldn^t get up before 6am.
Take a late train from Brugge (for example dp 20.08) to the airport and sleep at the Sheraton.
Their prices are fair as long as you don't book the breakfast too.
Sep 22nd, 2019, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by joannyc View Post
What day was this, and time? I've been to Brussels on business 1000s of times, plus drive past it couple of times a year. I almost always get caught in traffic whenever I get anywhere near to Brussels. Even looking at google maps now, the traffic and roadworks would put me off staying in Namur and thats a Sunday morning. I even got caught once in a horrendous traffic jam from an airport hotel to the airport.

Sep 22nd, 2019, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Odin View Post
What day was this, and time? I've been to Brussels on business 1000s of times, plus drive past it couple of times a year. I almost always get caught in traffic whenever I get anywhere near to Brussels. Even looking at google maps now, the traffic and roadworks would put me off staying in Namur and thats a Sunday morning. I even got caught once in a horrendous traffic jam from an airport hotel to the airport.
This is true; traffic is terrible around Brussels. I'd risk it on a weekend morning, but not during the week. I would take the train on a weekday.
Sep 22nd, 2019, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Odin View Post

it was probably a Saturday or Sunday since I was still working then. Very early in the morning leaving the hotel between 6 and 7am, I'm guessing? But I am guessing on days and time. Sorry but I don't have access to that itinerary at the moment. I am currently traveling around western France for 7 weeks.
Sep 23rd, 2019, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd View Post
Take a late train from Brugge (for example dp 20.08) to the airport and sleep at the Sheraton.
Or any other airport hotel in Diegem if you don't want to spend a lot of money and eat a decent breakfast before your long flight.
Van der Valk Brussels Airport is my favourite. They have a free shuttle (less than 10 min. to the airport), comfy rooms and an excellent breakfast. And as a + for myself, I can leave my car in their garage for free for upto two weeks with their park-sleep-fly package.
Sep 23rd, 2019, 08:27 AM

I regularly spend my last night in London an hour's tube ride from Heathrow, however, an hour and a half might be overdoing it. Depends how good you are at mornings.
Sep 23rd, 2019, 08:43 AM

Just to add another flavor:
With a mid-day departure at 11:30 I would not find it necessary to sleep right next to the airport.
But I would stay in Brussels proper, near Central station, and have at least the chance to have a glass of wine admiring the illuminated Grand Place instead of staring at the walls of a hotel in Brussels' northeastern suburbia.
There are 4-6 trains per hour from Brussels Central to Zaventem airport, and the trips takes 15-20 minutes.
Sep 23rd, 2019, 09:28 AM

Cowboy wins the best suggestion award for this post!
Sep 23rd, 2019, 09:56 AM

I agree -- staying near BRU or in central Brussels -- not much difference in travel time to the airport really
Sep 23rd, 2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy1968 View Post
There are 4-6 trains per hour from Brussels Central to Zaventem airport, and the trips takes 15-20 minutes.
With all the strikes of the Belgian rail of the last months (years), I wouldn't bet my money on it!
Sep 24th, 2019, 01:34 AM

" I agree -- staying in central Brussels -- not much difference in travel time to the airport really"
......but there are not really pleasant hotels at Central station. Those at Grand Place are not cheaper, but more noisy than the airport Sheraton.
But neither the hotels at Grand Place nor the Easy Hotel is close to Central station. If you count the time you need for this transfer, you can sleep close to Bruggge railway station as well, the difference of the door to door jouney time wouldn't exceed some 30 minutes.
Sep 24th, 2019, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd View Post
" I agree -- staying in central Brussels -- not much difference in travel time to the airport really"
......but there are not really pleasant hotels at Central station. Those at Grand Place are not cheaper, but more noisy than the airport Sheraton.
But neither the hotels at Grand Place nor the Easy Hotel is close to Central station. If you count the time you need for this transfer, you can sleep close to Bruggge railway station as well, the difference of the door to door jouney time wouldn't exceed some 30 minutes.
I think you mix up Brussels Central station with Brussels Midi/Zuid station.
Midi/Zuid is indeed in not a very pleasant neighborhood while Central/Centraal is just a few steps away from Grand Place with many hotels in 1-5 minutes walking distance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO