Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should we rent a car or take the train/bus from Sevilla to Granada to Rhonda and back?

Should we rent a car or take the train/bus from Sevilla to Granada to Rhonda and back?

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Anne

My family of four will be spending 10 days in Andalucia. Our first five days will be in Sevilla which I understand is a nightmare to navigate by car. We will then be heading to Granada for two days then to Rhonda for two and back for one night in Sevilla. Should we bother with a rental car for the latter portion of the trip (if so-any recommendations? I have heard Auto Europe is decent. Or does it make sense to take the train to Granada? I am not sure if the train runs from Granada to Rhonda.

Thanks so much

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 02:10 PM
kate

We took trains, buses, and cabs on our trip to Andalucia. We were so glad we did because the streers really are mazes and we had rain for the first 5 days of our trip.

We spent 4 nights in Seville, with an AVE day trip to Cordoba and a bus trip to Arcos de la Frontera. We then took a train to Linares and cabs to Ubeda and Baeza. Cabs are VERY cheap in Spain. We then took a bus from Ubeda to Granada. I'm absolutely certain that it saved us hours of confusion and arguments.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:35 PM
A

There is a neat, old train, ala The Orient Express, that goes Sevilla-Cordoba-Granada, stopping for sightseeing. You sleep and eat on the train-a traveling hotel. From Granada, its an easy hop to Malaga and the beach towns.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:57 PM
angel

The train (5 star luxury and 5 star prices) is the Al Andalus Express. Runs in fall and spring.
www.reefnrail.com/AndExp.htm

I'd rent a car upon leaving Seville to do the Granada-Ronda-Seville final portion, and I'd rent through Auto Europe. It will give you so much more flexibility, particularly with a family (can stop when and where you want), and you won't be a prisoner of the bus and train schedules. You can also see far more of the countryside and tour the white villages around Ronda that way and take any detour that interests any of you. Then turn it in immediately upon arriving back in Seville.

Otherwise, you can train from Seville to Granada, and there is a train from Granada to Ronda, the Andalucia Express, which costs 10,10 euros, but you'll need a bus from Ronda to Seville. You can see the Ronda-Granada train schedule at www.renfe.es but
after clicking Timetables and Prices, you'll need to write in Granada in the "I want to travel from..." box, then select Ronda, as Ronda doesn't appear in the regular drop down menu.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 11:21 PM
steve

If you are traveling from Granada to Ronda, then I would recommend renting a car, as the scenery along certain roads is outstanding.

My recommendation: To get to Ronda from Granad, head west towwards Málaga, then NW to Mijas Pueblo (not Mijas Costa). Mijas Pueblo is a small village in the hills above Fuengirola. From Mijas, follow signs to Coin, then proceed to Ronda.

This is probably the coolest drive I'Ve ever done. It is so hilly and curvy and spectacular, you will be amazed. Approx time from Mijas to Ronda--2 hours. The drive was better than Ronda itself, IMHO.

The Michelin map for Andalucía is very good.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 03:14 AM
skot

We were in Seville last month.Rented a car from Avis,picked it up at the train station on the way out of Seville.Drove to Granada,Rhonda spending 2 nights each town,then turned the car in at Malaga and flew to Lisbon.The car was a Ford station wagon and we had no problem driving in Spain.Just parked it when we got to town.Cost was 200$ for 5 days.Gotto really see the country

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 03:31 AM
Angela

Has anyone rented through Kemwel in Spain? They have told me to pick up the car at the Europecar desk. I guess this means I am really dealing with Europecar. Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback on them in Spain?

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 06:49 AM
safe

I would definitely go with the car especially w/for people.Decide if you need an automatic or willthe shift be okay.I would lastly strongly suggest keeping the majority of your driving to daylight hours.