Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Should we rent a car in the Lake Region of Italy

Should we rent a car in the Lake Region of Italy

Jun 12th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Should we rent a car in the Lake Region of Italy

Hi all...I am probably going to just rent a car but wanted your opinions first. We are flying into Malpensa, Milan and heading to Stresa on Lake Maggiore. From there we head to a hotel on Lake Lugano and then we are stopping in Varese for two nights to be closer to Malpensa. I'm pretty sure we should get a car but just wondering what others thought about doing this without one. I am reading that it is difficult to navigate with a car in the lake region. But it sounds like it would be best for us to have one if only to get to our three main destinations and to/from the airport? Let me know your thoughts please? I should add that we have driven through many other parts of Italy and for the most part, no problems. Although there were some of the areas we drove (amalfi coast, etc.) where I couldn't wait to get out of that car!

Thanks all.
Jun 12th, 2012, 07:34 AM

My husband and I traveled to Bellagio and surrounding areas and never felt the need for a car - there are ferries and/or trains to take you around. This September we will travel to Stresa, Varenna and back to Milan without a car. In researching the areas, I felt a car was not necessary because the area was so small and, again, trains and ferries would be easier transportation. To give you a little more detail we will be renting a car for a week in Tuscay, returning the car to Orvieto then Florence by train for 5 days, and then travleing to Manarola, Sestri Levante, Turin, Stresa, Varenna and then to Milan.
Jun 12th, 2012, 08:48 AM

IMO, a car is a lot less "necessary" at the mid-lake portion of Lake Como than in some other places.
Jun 12th, 2012, 09:07 AM

Flew out of Malpensa a few days ago and took a day to drive
up to Stresa; as long as you keep to the 'blue' road to get
to Arona the driving is easy. The trip up the lakeside was
very pretty.

Three weeks ago we drove the west shore of Garda - not as
scenic and more traffic.

We were in Varenna recently so didn't get to L Como this time.
Jun 12th, 2012, 09:10 AM

I didn't need a car for Bellagio as the ferries were great but I was glad I rented a car for Lake Maggiore so I recommend a car for the places you're going. Try to take a jaunt to Lake Orta (about 45 minutes from Stresa) - it's a wonderful place to spend a half day (or a full day if that fits your schedule).
Jun 12th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Okay...thanks...I think we will stick with getting the car. Really appreciate all of the good feedback.

Search this Thread