Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Should we go to Hvar in October... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/should-we-go-to-hvar-in-october-557359/)

Lina Sep 9th, 2005 11:13 AM

Should we go to Hvar in October...

I have read volumes of travel reports but few are about off-season travel. We will be in Dubrovnik for 6 days in mid-October. Ferries run infrequently from Split to Hvar (leave Tue 7AM and return Thurs 5PM), which leaves us only 2 days in Dubrovnik. Is that worthwhile or should we just visit closer islands/regions around Dubrovnik? Are there any alternatives to ferries (private tour boats)?

Thank you!

floridamom Sep 12th, 2005 01:53 PM

Lina, We were in Croation last Oct. driving from Split to Cavtat to Rijeka and places between. The weather was very warm in Dubrovnik and rainy/cool in Rijeka. Took our car on ferry above Dubrovnik to Hvar and drove one side of island to other. Lots of driving on narrow, winding roads but Hvar was beautiful. 2 days in Dubrovnik is enough and very worthwhile but I would probably opt for not going to Hvar unless you just want a change. If you travel around Dub. to Cavtat, etc. it would be less stress then the ferry, driving, changing hotels, etc. I have lots of photo's and information if you want more help.
Be sure to have some Croatian wine and the cabbage salad.

GeoffHamer Sep 12th, 2005 02:24 PM

The local ferry from Split to Stari Grad on Hvar island normally runs three times a day. The service is run by Jadrolinija and the September schedule is on their web site (www.jadrolinija.hr). It is quite possible to visit Hvar on a day trip from Split. At Stari Grad ferry terminal, buses and taxis wait for Hvar town and other parts of the island. I did this trip once on Christmas Day: the ferry and buses were running and I found one restaurant open in Hvar.
From Dubrovnik, Jadrolinija runs a ship to the idyllic islands of Kolocep, Lopud and Sipan - that can easily be done as a day trip.

MarkAustin Sep 13th, 2005 02:02 AM

Lina -- I had the same question as you since I'm planning a trip to Hvar/Dubrovnik in October as well. I called Jadrolijna and spoke to a very nice lady who gave me ferry schedules from Split to Hvar. They do seem to run every day, even in October and directly to Hvar town. I don't know why this isn't indicated on their web site. I suggest you call the ferry office to get the most up-to-date info.

GeoffHamer Sep 13th, 2005 04:59 AM

I don't think Jadrolinija's web site yet has the winter schedules for local ferry services, but the October timetables will be similar to September's.

Lina Sep 13th, 2005 06:21 AM

Thanks very much for all the responses. In the meantime I noticed that Atlas also runs tours to Hvar from Split and Makarska. We will probably make a number of day trips from Dubrovnik. Thanks to the forum, it sounds like Montenegro, Cavtat, Korcula, and possibly the 3 other islands are worth a visit.

Thanks for the tip of calling Jadrolinija directly. I could only find the twice-weekly line on the website.

I hope we have good weather,too! I don't mind "crisp" but don't want much "cold!"

We will not have our own car so I hope the bus system will take us where we want to go.

GeoffHamer Sep 13th, 2005 06:28 AM

On www.jadrolinija.hr in English, click on "sailing schedules" then "Table - high season". The routes are arranged by district: services to Hvar are in the Split district. For each route, you can see the schedule up to the end of September.

CollK Sep 16th, 2005 02:24 PM

I'm going in October as well and found this web site http://www.krilo.hr/raspored_en.htm. You just have scroll down to find their winter schedule. Looks like there's a ferry every day except Sunday from Hvar to Split -- it leaves at 7:45 am.

Lina Sep 17th, 2005 05:40 PM

Thanks so much for all the great advice. I'm glad that we will be able to travel to Hvar...even if it's just for a day.