Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Should we go to Dresden if we only have a day (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/should-we-go-to-dresden-if-we-only-have-a-day-1028825/)

GrandmaSue Oct 27th, 2014 12:39 PM

Should we go to Dresden if we only have a day

We will be in Prague for three nights in early December. First time in Prague. We would like to go to Dresden for a day, but not sure if it's worth our while. Two + hours on the train in each direction. Maybe we should just enjoy Prague. Undecided on what to do.

Suggestions - opinions appreciated.

adrienne Oct 27th, 2014 12:49 PM

Since you only have 2 days in Prague I would not take a day away from Prague to spend 5 hours going back and forth to Dresden (or any where else). There is lots to see and do in Prague - much more than the 2 days you have. And Dresden deserves much more than a half day.

PalenQ Oct 27th, 2014 12:52 PM

Well without wading into whether you should snatch a day from Prague for a half-day in Dresden or so just to say I'v done day trips to Dresden from Berlin that take about as long to get there and as many of the major things of touristic interest are gaggled toegether on the river front - a passel of cultural things leading the city to be dubbed the Florence on the Elbe (River) - so yes you can appreciate Dresden and its rather sad recent history IMO in several hours.

Now as to whether you should take a day off Prague to do it I do not know - I've spent several days in Prague and it is nice but in two full days I think many folks will have seen enough (though there is a lot to keep one occupied for days of course).

Also the rail route just before Dresden is awesomely gorgeous as the train tracks down a deep sandstone-hued (east side) river valley with castles old fortresses, weird rock formations, etc - called Saxon Switzerland so that would be nice too!

annhig Oct 27th, 2014 01:17 PM

Agreed - with only 3 nights in Prague, you don't have enough time to go to Dresden. Especially in December you'll have very short days anyway, so you'll be pressed to find enough time to see Prague let alone spending a day going to and from Dresden.

I'd start planning a Dresden trip!

Ingo Oct 27th, 2014 08:49 PM

I join the chorus. Too hectic and there's enough to do in Prague.

annhig Oct 28th, 2014 09:35 AM

well, if Dresden resident and ambassador Ingo agrees, I think you have your answer, G'ma.

Christina Oct 28th, 2014 09:47 AM

I wouldn't do it given it is your first time in Prague. If you had been dying to go to Dresden your entire life, sure, but if so, I imagine you would be spending some days there.

wombat11 Oct 28th, 2014 05:28 PM

I would definetly go to Dresden!!In dec are the Christmas markets,dresden has one of the most beautiful ones!I think you would regret not going.

danon Oct 28th, 2014 07:49 PM

Prague is beautiful with so much to do.
Dresden is a nice place to visit , but it does not come close.

quokka Oct 28th, 2014 08:44 PM

You can't do everything in one trip and with such a short stay I would focus on just one city.

greg Oct 28th, 2014 08:54 PM

Is your routing still Colmar-Strasbourg-München-Salzburg-Prague? One way to make Dresden easier to visit would be to change this to München-Nürnberg/Dresden-Prague. If your objective is to visit Christmas markets, Nürnberg is not to be missed. I thought Salzburg in Christmas time to be rather quiet compared to comparable German cities.