Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Should we exchange currency to Euro before we go?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/should-we-exchange-currency-to-euro-before-we-go-411535/)

travelinfamily Mar 16th, 2004 05:32 AM

Should we exchange currency to Euro before we go??

We are going to Munich in April. We didn't know if we should exchange money before we go or is the US dollar excepted?? We are also going to Austria and Switzerland, would we also need their currency?? We plan on using a credit card for most things but thought we may need cash for little things...ect...If you guys think we need to exchange, what is the best way to do so?? We have been looking on line but not finding much. Thanks a bunch!!

taylor_made Mar 16th, 2004 05:38 AM

If you type in "euro exchange" in the search box above and then click on the FIND button, a lot of threads will come up and provide you with good information.

martytravels Mar 16th, 2004 05:39 AM

If you've got an ATM card, I'd wait to get to the Munich airport before I got any Euros. You usually get the best bank-bank exchange rates that way. My experience with exchanging here in the States before leaving has always been a ripoff experience.

DAX Mar 16th, 2004 05:46 AM

I prefer using ATM's at the airports/train stations. It's very convenient & the bank charges are minimal. The only place I had trouble finding ATMs in train stations was in the Czech republic. You need Swiss francs for Switzerland.

ira Mar 16th, 2004 06:17 AM

Hi trav,

At most exchange about $100 to euro at your departure airport. It will cost an extra $3 or so.

From then on use your ATM card in Europe for cash.

Check with your bank as to what their charges for ATM use will be, and what your daily limit is.

mr_go Mar 16th, 2004 06:23 AM

Marty, DAX, et al have it right. ATMs are all over Europe, especially airports and stations. There is no need to carry a wad of cash around with you.

We always plan on visiting a cash machine once every day or two, with the assumption that one day we'll get robbed or lose a wallet.

StCirq Mar 16th, 2004 06:26 AM

Yes, get yourself enough euros to get you through the first day in Munich. ATM machines are definitely the way to get the best exchange rate but sometimes the machines at airports are broken or there are long lines to use them - do you want to deal with that after an all-night flight? I know I don't, so I always arrive with pocket money for the first day.

Don't expect to use U.S. dollars for anything. Can you pay for things in your home town with Swiss francs? You will need each country's currency and will therefore need to plan how much of each you need so as not to end up with, say, $500 extra worth of Swiss francs that you don't need. If you end up having to exchange one European currency for another, you will lose money in the transaction.

You'll need an ATM card to get the best rates for both euros and Swiss francs. You will not be charged a fee for using an ATM machine in Europe. Use your credit card for hotel and other significant purchases.

singlegalzzz Mar 16th, 2004 06:35 AM

Actually, I found the exchange rate to be worse in the US airports than at Munich.

Just use your ATM card (make sure password is 4 digits only) to get cash in Munich. If you're worried that ALL the machines will be broken, bring some dollars to exchange at the Munich airport.

Budman Mar 16th, 2004 06:44 AM

singlegalzzz, that's precisely what I do, but some people don't seem to be comfortable with that, so they pay the extra charges/fees/crappy exchange rates and get some Euros in the States before departing.

Bottom line, do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.

In Switzerland, you can easily get your Francs from an ATM machine or at the border. Also, you will find most places at or near the borders will take both currencies. ((b))