Should we bother? or Is this crazy?

Dec 12th, 2005, 01:41 PM
lawchick

Should we bother? or Is this crazy?

OK, I know this is a bit naughty and I apologise in advance, but I would like to give some people a view of how crazy their posts seem to a European - but I have to do it via the US if you know what I mean.....

One entitled something like "should we bother?"

Hey, 10 of us are about to "do" the US in 6 days and we want sun, and a cosmopolitan atmosphere and beautiful landscapes and sea and mountains and green and great food and culture on a budget of about 120$. So we were thinking we could leave out NY, people say its not worth the trip and the folks there are not so nice and we will get the same stuff in some other cities. People tell me that Waco is really interesting instead.

What are the 2/3 must see things in the US - preferably in one day.

What car should I rent that carries 10. Is it dangerous to drive at night/in the rain. What road do I take? We have 22 suitcases, 36 rucksacks (some with wheels some without). What should I wear to blend in? Will I be robbed?

Are we crazy?

Original poster from above again...ok as I said we are a party of 10 and we're going to do the US in six days, but could you tell me if our itinerary is crazy? Thx

Day 1 - Land Dulles airport ( not so sure where this is - but could soomebody tell me how much a taxi from there would cost to Hilton Head, South Carolina - it does not look so far on the map - can someone recommend some restaurants in South Carolina while we are there?)

Day 2 - We were thinking of using Kansas (Witchita) as a base and doing some day trips from there - like California - but is it worth it - do we have to drive or can we sail - whats the parking situation like in Hollywood?

Day 3 etc. other day trips, maybe one long overnight trip where we would stay over, like Montreal as it would be cool to see another country.

Do you think it would be possible to squeeze in some pacific islands as well.

Thanks

OK - sorry about that post - but I know immediately it seems weird and rude to you - but just remember when people ask - things like "is Austria worth a visit?" how crazy it sounds to us.

Thanks

Dec 12th, 2005, 01:47 PM

That's pretty funny! I actually had to think of this once when an Irishman I met asked me for travel advice on the US. Holy cow, I thought.

"Doing America," so to speak, is a lot harder than doing Europe because our train system is pitiful. A visitor wanting to see several regions of the US would have to resort to using the airlines.
Dec 12th, 2005, 01:48 PM

lawchick, that was funny, and I ALWAYS think to myself how some questions must sound so off-the-wall to our European residents on this board.

But then, you know how provincial we Americans are.........
Dec 12th, 2005, 01:58 PM

"But you know how provincial we Americans are..."
We're also dumb, loud, and don't know how to dress.....
Dec 12th, 2005, 02:14 PM

What?
Dec 12th, 2005, 02:17 PM

This is hilarious. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Dec 12th, 2005, 02:20 PM

I've heard that the folks in Waco can be a little unfriendly. How about Lubbock?
Dec 12th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Will I blend in with white trainers?
Dec 12th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Hi
Thank you for the posting. You've got me thinking, do you think I should buy a guidebook? Which one has all the pictures and has all the places I would want to see?
Dec 12th, 2005, 02:26 PM
lawchick

I'm just concerned that I'll have to ditch my beloved understated Gucci handbag for a fanny pack when I hit the county line outside Waco.

Will my stilletto boots be confiscated at the Piggly Wiggly?

Dec 12th, 2005, 03:03 PM

lawchick, that was very funny and good for a laugh. Makes me consider my postings more thoughtfully.
Dec 12th, 2005, 03:15 PM

lawchick, wear your squeaky leather pants (a nod to peeky!)
Dec 12th, 2005, 03:16 PM

merci gracias thank you lawchick
absolutely brilliant work!!!!
Dec 12th, 2005, 03:42 PM
lawchick

No leather below the waist after 30 in Europe. It's a rule.

Dec 12th, 2005, 03:53 PM

Do we need dollars or can we use euros? Are there ATMs in America?
Dec 12th, 2005, 04:00 PM

Okay about not wearing leather below the waist after 30, but is plaid acceptable? We don't wish to stand out.
Dec 12th, 2005, 04:01 PM
lawchick

Good question Gertie. Also I need to transfer 150$ deposit to the owner of the Shady Rest Motel...I'm really nervous about carrying this much money. How much is this in Euros? I think I can save 50 cents by changing the euros in Liechtenstein then strapping the dollars to my Uncle Wolfgang's leg - he has bad gout and flatulence, no one would ever look up his lederhosen.

Dec 12th, 2005, 04:04 PM
lawchick

From my investigations, plaid seems to be fine. Anything golfy seems to go, but you can kind of Euro it up a bit by going Burberry. I think it's a good compromise.

I'm a bit concerned about evening wear. I have nothing with "Notre Dame" sewn across the front.

Dec 12th, 2005, 04:08 PM

Is it OK to wear black in America? Being a European, that's all I have.
Dec 12th, 2005, 04:16 PM
lawchick

I'm not sure about that - it may be viewed as affirmative action, but then again it may perhaps not be politically correct. Someone in a post earlier today mentioned a smart blazer and denims, though I'm not sure I can stretch to that. I'm used to travelling with 10 kilos - but then we hardly ever wash or change our clothes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO