Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Should these items come with a hire car? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/should-these-items-come-with-a-hire-car-613796/)

Pammca May 8th, 2006 01:05 AM

Should these items come with a hire car?

Hello everyone
I have booked a hire car (Auto Europa)at Treviso Airport in July. I have been reading about the equipment you should have in your car in Italy (red warning triangle, fire extinguisher, spare bulbs, First Aid kit, reflective jacket for night-time breakdowns) and asked if these came with the hire car - the answer was No. Am I supposed to bring these items with me on the plane? If they are required in my own car if I was to drive to Italy instead of flying (I live in the UK), surely they are necessary in a hire car too?
I'm perplexed!!
Pam

Mucky May 8th, 2006 01:08 AM

When we hired in Portugal, we were provided with a yellow jacket and a warning triangle.

My guess is that of course they should be provided but it would be interesting to hear from others.

Muck

Kate May 8th, 2006 04:45 AM

If you brought all that stuff with you, I think you'd be the first tourist who ever did!

Intrepid1 May 8th, 2006 04:46 AM

I hope this doesn't turn into one of those, "You don't need an International Drivers Permit unless you are asked of it" kind of deal.

dhoffman May 8th, 2006 07:13 AM

I can't speak for Italy, but when I booked a care via AutoEuropa for Prague, all of those items were in the trunk when I picked it up (less the fire extinquisher).

Mucky May 8th, 2006 07:36 AM

According to the RAC website you need the following.

Compulsory products:
A warning triangle
Headlamp converters
Reflectorised jacket or waistcoat

Recommended products:
Spare bulbs
A fire extinguisher
A first aid kit

Therefore I would expect the compulsory items to provided, if not I would ask for them.

Muck

mamaj May 8th, 2006 08:21 AM

We will be picking up our Saab in Sweden, driving it through Germany, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Belgium. Since this is our car, what should we do- I don't think Saab provides these things. Will we have to purchase them ourselves once we are there? I'm not traveling with that stuff in my bag. And once we drop the car off- what are we supposed to do with those items? We can't leave anything in the car while it's being shipped back here! This is something I haven't even thought about!

kelliebellie May 8th, 2006 08:23 AM

I think if ever asked to present these items, the dumb tourist role would be the one to play.

mamaj May 8th, 2006 09:05 AM

no kidding- Kelliebellie- it's bad enought we have to lug the kids' booster seats. I'll have my twins flash a cute smile- maybe they'll let us off easy!

lincasanova May 8th, 2006 10:43 AM

where you buy your car has all these things for sale or gift, usually.

rental cars by law should provide them, too. Ask where they ARE when y pick up the car. the jackets might be under seats or in special compartment you may be unaware of.

Chele60 May 8th, 2006 10:53 AM

I know that Spain has a requirement that all cars have certain safety equipment. I was a bit concerned about our rental, but when we picked up everything that was required by law was in the glove box. I would think this is same for other countried as well.

nytraveler May 8th, 2006 11:10 AM

They SHOULD come in the car - but often don't. Just like the instruction booklet. And depending on the car's age and country - all sorts of other things.

(We once got a car in Italy that had no cover on a fuse box [I think - something electrical anyway] on the dash. When we asked they simply pulled one off another car and put it on ours.)

Pammca May 9th, 2006 04:15 AM

Thank you for all your replies - I checked with AutoEurope again - this time directly, not through the rental agent - and was told that all compulsory equipment would be provided in the car (i.e. triangle and vest). Light bulbs are not compulsory; however, I understand that a failed bulb is an offence, as well as being dangerous - and as a lone female driver I wouldn't want my lights to fail at night! - but as the hirer doesn't know exactly what car they will get until they collect it at the airport, the only alternative would be to buy spare bulbs after collecting the rental car - has anyone done this?
Pam

Tulips May 9th, 2006 04:25 AM

Compulsory items are in the car when you buy it; warning triangle, first aid kit, spare bulbs.
Mamaj; if you are buying a car in Europe, these items should be included (in any case the ones that are compulsory in the country where you buy the car) and I can't imagine that you will have to take them out of the car for shipping; usually they are in some sort of compartment in the car.
Some items, like the yellow jackets, are new, and not required in every country. They cost a few Euros at most, so if you think you need them, buy them there.

Pammca May 9th, 2006 05:16 AM

I'm renting for 3 weeks - not buying!

Robespierre May 9th, 2006 05:30 AM

I've driven in Europe many times, but this is all new to me.

What is a "headlamp converter?"

How is one expected to replace a bulb without a) tools, and b) knowledge of how to access it?

Mucky May 9th, 2006 09:18 AM

Sorry Rob, that was a list for UK drivers that take their car to France etc, as we in the UK drive on the left side of the road our headlamps shine to the left, when we drive in France on the right side of the road the headlights subsequently shine into the face of the on coming traffic.
Headlamp convertors are small adhesive lenses that fit on to the headlamp to divert the beam away from the left.

Muck

Robespierre May 9th, 2006 10:01 AM

Roger that.

(I wonder if the Froggies return the favor?)

Mucky May 9th, 2006 01:40 PM

To be honest,the proportion of French v brits that change over sides for a visit is certainly not equal. I'm guessing here, but I estimate 80/20 we visit France with our cars.

But if they do they should also block their beams. However knowing the French and how they abide by rules, they probably just turn their lights off in the dark..lol

;-)

Muck

Underhill May 9th, 2006 02:44 PM

When we rented from Kemwel in Luxembourg we got quite a few extras. We even found a manual in the glovebox! Unfortuantely, it was in Danish, but we could understand the pictures.