Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Should passports be carried around with us? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/should-passports-be-carried-around-with-us-782392/)

cornelius01 May 2nd, 2009 12:47 PM

Should passports be carried around with us?

We have always carried our passports around with us in Europe but is it a good idea or just leave them in the apartment or hotel? We also have copies of them.

cathies May 2nd, 2009 12:53 PM

I prefer to not be worrying about losing them while carrying them around during the day. We carry a copy in our little backpack and leave the originals in our room or with reception.

It's an interesting question that is asked fairly often on Fodor's and opinions seem to be split down the middle.

jetsetj May 2nd, 2009 01:01 PM

If there is a safe, then I leave them at lodging.
Otherwise, I wear a money belt and keep it in there.

We make copies of all important documents and credit cards and trade with each other and/or traveling companions.
We also have copies online.

p.s.
if traveling soon, dont forget to call your credit card company and tell them you will be using the card in Europe.

greg May 2nd, 2009 01:51 PM

In some countries, it is a matter of opinion. There are countries where it is not up to each individual to decide whether to carry a passport or not.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...s/cis_982.html
"Everyone age 14 and above is required to carry identification at all times. Accepted forms of identification for U.S. citizens are either a Dutch residence card, issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or a U.S. passport. A copy of a U.S. passport is not sufficient under Dutch law."

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1044.html
"Belgian law requires that everyone carry some form of official identification at all times, which must be displayed upon request to any Belgian police official. A U.S. passport suffices for these purposes."

annhig May 2nd, 2009 02:14 PM

hi Cornelius,

most eurpoean countries require you to carry some form of id -usually a passport or ID card. BUT very few if any tourists are ever required to produce it. exceptions are when buying something with a credit card in Spain [luckily it was our last day and we'd packed so I had mine with me] and if you want to prove your age for some sort of discounted ticket. in 40+ years of travel " on the continent" [ID cards not yet being compulsory in teh UK] I have never been asked for mine.

although the incidence of pickpocketing or theft is pretty low, you are, IMHO much more likely to lose your passport if you take it out with you, than you are to be asked to produce it. we invariably leave it in the room safe or at reception, and carry a copy with us. I do not want to spend every day and night of my holiday having to check that I haven't lost my passport!

hope this helps,

regards, ann

travelgourmet May 2nd, 2009 02:52 PM

I never carry a passport unless I am going somewhere where it is likely to be needed - basically taking a flight opening a bank account, etc.

As for countries where it is "the law"... Well, I never carry it in either Belgium or Holland. I mean, seriously, you are not going to be dragged to jail because you don't have your passport and you are probably not going to be stopped randomly and asked for it. Now, if you are busted for something else, then they will certainly tack it on as an extra charge, but the likelihood has to be exceedingly low that it would ever be an issue.

Basically, weigh the risk. To my mind, the risk is much, much higher that you will lose your passport if you carry it around than it is that you will ever be asked to present it by a cop.

J62 May 2nd, 2009 03:24 PM

I was going to say that the advice here on Fodors is usually split 50:50, but so far only one side has chimed in here.

You've heard the points about not carrying it with you (even in countries like Holland cited above). The other side will cite the risk of someone breaking into your hotel room, rifling through your belongings, and taking your passport. Or they will cite the risk of terrorist attack and the need to get to the airport to get on a plane at the drop of a hat. Or they will cite the opinion that it's better to have key documents like a passport in your control at all times.

There is no right or wrong answer. I agree with travelgourmet's opinion. Should the police need my passport I'll have them come with me to my hotel.

StCirq May 2nd, 2009 03:54 PM

I and my passport are inseparable.

adeben May 2nd, 2009 04:02 PM

I have asked this question on several occasions before: "Has anyone had their passport stolen from a hotel room in Europe?". To date there has been a NIL response. Perhaps this time will be different..

greg May 2nd, 2009 07:27 PM

I have not lost my passport -- yet.

I have been asked to produce my real passport twice outside the expected circumstances such as a passport control, checking into an Italian Hotel, etc.

I tried to use my credit card in Spain for a purchase over €200. The store said a copy was no good, come back with a real passport if I wanted to use a credit card. It was not age related. They would not accept my credit card without a real passport.

In Germany, I was traveling with a Eurail pass. The conductor demanded to see the real passport.

For me, the likelihood has been high that not having a real passport was an issue.

abranz May 2nd, 2009 07:30 PM

i always carry my passport in my travel purse which is worn across across my body.
additionally, i keep copies of it in every suitcase and carry on.

cigalechanta May 2nd, 2009 07:35 PM

I always carry mine.

janisj May 2nd, 2009 07:37 PM

Neither side will ever convince the other. I'm in the "passport is in my possession 24/7" camp and would never ever leave my passport in a hotel room -- room safe or no room safe.

Others are just as certain they would never carry their passport.

You pays yer money and takes yer chances.

It is your decision and both sides of the argument have <i>some</i> merit -- But my way is best :)

russwuf May 2nd, 2009 08:11 PM

as the ole saying goes...a man without a passport is a man without a country. keep your passport on ya always. In the final analysis, a copy is really no good. It is not legal..sure it may prove you have one, but when the crunch is on, a copy is no good.

taggie May 2nd, 2009 08:25 PM

I've had a passport stolen from my room, despite the fact that it was well hidden (in the lining of a suitcase). This was in the US but could happen in any country.

I carry it with me, or lock it in the safe of my room, depending on which country I am in. In places where I feel I am less likely to get mugged (because I do not appear to be a tourist), it is in my handbag. In other places, where I think I look more out of place, the passport goes in the safe.

Nikki May 2nd, 2009 11:52 PM

I only carry mine when I am traveling.

lanejohann May 3rd, 2009 01:07 AM

carry mine strapped to me in my money belt

dont know why - i guess it is the only real form of ID - you in case i get run over by a semitrailer and they need to scrape me into a plastic envelope for dna ing- the passport might speed things up for them

always thinking of others ...lol

Mimar May 3rd, 2009 06:21 AM

adeben, maybe nobody on this forum has had their passport stolen from a hotel room in Europe -- but that's a pretty small sampling of travelers in Europe. And at least half of us keep our passport on us. I wouldn't trust a room safe, having read about thefts from room safes, but I would trust the hotel safe.

TravMimi May 3rd, 2009 07:11 AM

When I travel, I always carry my money belt, passport, debit card, 2 credit cards and some local currency. Everything else is back at my lodging. All my copies are at risk. This has never failed me.

crefloors May 3rd, 2009 07:40 AM

I always have my passport with me when traveling. I'm afraid to leave it with the hotel because I know me...I'd forget it and then it would be just lovely at the airport when I'm checking in for my flight home.