Reload this Page >

Should my company pay my air ticket ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Bill Fleites

My company asked me to cancel my upcoming vacation to Europe in order to keep the project afloat. They've agreed to compensate me for any loses.<BR><BR>Unfortunately my roundtrip ticket (for which I can get credit) to Paris was $700 for May-June travel, and now I can't find anything for less than $1300 for June-July travel. <BR><BR>Is it reasonable to ask them to cover the $500 difference ???<BR><BR>Any opinions out there ?

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Leslie

Yes, it is reasonable to expect that your company will reimburse you for the item and not necessarily the value, as you have to change your itinerary. Also, there is probably a penalty for the rebooking, and is there going to be a price increase for your accommodations (shoulder vs. high season pricing) or even a penalty for cancelling and rebooking your reservations (possibly 1 night)? Also, if you are out any other expenses e.g. theatre tickets, etc., you should also be compensated for them.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Sr

It is reasonable and the $500 is probably less than they spend on a nice dinner for clients, however:<BR>What kind of company, big or small? <BR>How do you get along with your boss?<BR>Project afloat...Is your company, department or project under finacial stress?<BR>Most important! Will the project be done in that extra month before you leave because what they may be suggesting is that you don't go to Europe at all until the project is secure.<BR>Life is rarely fair and reasonable. Corporate life almost never.<BR>If you get along well with your boss go ask him. If not.... <BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Boss

Agree in this economic time that wouldn't ask for the moon. I'd probably seek recovery of tangible costs (plane tickets, non-refundable deposits, change fees) but wouldn't seek the upcharge for a later visit. Not really Company's fault that airfare is more expensive in the summer and boss may say fine, wait and take the vacation next May/June.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Carol

My company has done this for people and they do pay any increases in cost resulting from the rebooking so your $500 would be legit. I would ask. the poster says it is not the company's fault that airfare has gone up, but I think he is wrong. You were going at a lower cost time and the change is at their request.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:43 PM
REDRUM

Hell yes they should!

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Bill Fleites

Thanks for the input so far. I just want to make sure that my thinking on this is fair and reasonable.<BR><BR>All I will ask for are:<BR>- the increase in my cost to travel from the US-Europe (I'll get credit for my current ticket as long as I purchase a more expensive fare)<BR>- the cost of a totally non-refundable inter Europe roundtrip flight ($250)<BR>- non-refundable tour reservations (a couple hundred dollars max)<BR><BR>Some additional details:<BR>1. The company is a very large, dominates it's industry, and is quite profitable.<BR>2. I get along well with my manager, I'm a hard worker and a key contributor to my group.<BR>3. My vacation had been approved two months ago thinking we'd be done with the project by now.<BR>4. The project is simply late, and not financially strapped. In fact, the company is really counting on the success of this project to greatly assist it's bottom line next year once in production.<BR>3. It's very likely we will be done in a month. The problem was just a last minute problem I discovered in the work of a colleague for which I was the best person to develop the fix. Unfortunately I found this two days before I was to leave, and my manager was afraid it would not get fixed correctly unless I was around to do it myself. By the day that would have been my 1st full day in Europe we had already fixed the problem and things had calmed down.<BR><BR><BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:10 PM
xxx

Good luck, Bill. You deserve to be reimbursed for the additional cost at the very LEAST. I think your company should upgrade you to biz class for your loyalty and cooperation! If they won't pay the extra $$$ to help you take an obviously well-earned vacation, you'll discover how much they truly value their employees. <BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:36 PM
abc

Wow, I really admire your work ethic. At my job, I schedule WORK around my VACATIONS LOL. If it weren't for sitting in front of a computer all day long on Fodors, Travelocity, etc, I don't know how I'd manage to pretend I'm busy! : )

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Bob C

You lost $500. The company offered to cover your loses, so they owe you $500.

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Julie

Your question basically asks what you should expect. There is no indication that you've covered the topic with anyone at your company yet. I'd guess that they''ll be more than willing to "make you whole" for the losses you suffered, which would surely include paying whatever it costs to fly now rather than when you were ticketed for.

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:24 PM
sr

Sounds like you're Golden go for it

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Bill Fleites

Thanks for all the input, today I got an email from my manager stating: <BR>"I want to reiterate that we'll pick up any expenses incurred due to the re-scheduling."<BR><BR>So I guess that means that they'll pick up the increased air fare. At least I hope so !<BR>

Old May 18th, 2002, 01:50 AM
buddy ebsen

BillyBob, ask Uncle Jethro to pick up the extra!! LOL!!!! Yo ho ho !!!!!!