Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I visit the Last Supper between trains from CT to Venice?

Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

During our upcoming trip to Italy, we'll be spending 2 nights in Cinque Terra followed by three nights in Venice. We've been advised to take a train from CT/La Spezia to Milan, then from Milan to Venice. Since we'll be in Milan, we wanted to take advantage and spend a few hours there. We thought we'd have lunch and perhaps visit the Last Supper. Any advice on if this is possible to do in 3-4 hours between our trains or if it's worth it? How far is the Last Supper from the train station? I know we need advance reservations and we'll be there in the next 2 weeks so I'm hoping it won't be as crowded. Thank you!
Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:32 AM

My info could be old BUT...last time I saw the Last Supper I was in line by 8:30am and was in the last group ushered through the door at 12:30pm. I was a long 4 hour wait for about a 10 minute audience with this amazing work. Worth it? Well, I wouldn't do it again but I'm glad to say I've seen it.
So, unless things have changed alot-just arriving at lunch time won't get you in.
Good luck!
Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:35 AM

SLC,

Did you have an advance reservation to see the Last Supper? I hope not... I do have an appointment at 1:30 coming up in a couple weeks and was hoping to catch a mid to late afternoon train to Venice right afterwards.
Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:41 AM

Things must have changed since SLCLibrarian viewed the Last Supper. You must have reservations and they are scheduled every 15 minutes and you must check in 15 minutes before your reservation time. You are only allowed to view for 15 minutes. You can't make any changes within 15 days of your reservation. You can reserve online.
Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Do you happen to have the website where we can reserve online? Also, any idea how far it is from the train station?
Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:59 AM

The convent where the Last Supper is located is 10-15 minutes by taxi from Milano Centrale station. You can also take a tram, but obviously taxis are faster. After you see the painting, if you walk in the direction of the Duomo, you will encounter some restaurants. You could also walk to Peck's Deli, would be a longish walk 20-25 minutes.

Check your bags at Milan station when you arrive. Definitely make a reservation to see the Last Supper. Aim for about 45 minutes to an hour after your train arrives to make sure you get there on time, i.,e. you must be there at least 15 minutes (and I thikn actually 30 minutes) before your reserved time. You can then see how much time you have left over for lunch and/or the Duomo.

I was not aware you could make an on-line reservation, that may be a commerical booking service that will charge more. I know you can call the convent at 39-02-894-21146
(Mondays-Fridays 9.00am-6.00pm, Saturdays 9.00am-2.00pm CET which is 6 hours ahead of EST) The English-speaking operator will give you a code number for the time and date of your visit. You can then collect and pay for tickets on the day of your visit, at least half an hour before the scheduled time.

YOu might want to skip the Last Supper and go to the Duomo and Galleria area instead, this may be better use of such a short time. If you see the Last Supper, you may not have time for anything else. There are a number of cafes in the Duomo vicinty for lunch.
Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:05 AM

Sorry. I was worried my info was out of date.
I agree with Cicerone. The Duomo was AMAZING!!! Coming out of the Galleria onto the square and catching site of the duomo for the 1st time is something I will never forget!
And I KNOW that hasn't changed!
Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:07 AM

Sorry, you can also take the Metro to the convent area, again I think a taxi is probably faster than taking the time to figure out the tram system for one or two trips.

I would book through the phone as you do not have to give a credit card, and therefore if you don't make it to see the painting you won't be out anything.
Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:10 AM

You can book through several online sites such as selectitaly but as Cicerone said they are more expensive (19E versus 6.50E + 1.50E by calling).
Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very, very much for this information! This is exactly what I was looking for!