Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

should I use Euros as I travel next week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Ernie

I will be travelling through Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands, should I travel with just US currency? or Euros? or should I use just local currency. <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Ernie

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Use your credit cards wherever possible and local currency where it is not.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 06:41 PM
JOdy

Euros are not yet available. The only thing I even check with them is , as they are about 1 to 1 with the dollar, is rates. They give rate in francs, pounds, etc. and then Euro. You don't have to use a currency converter to see approx. what you'll be paying. can't remember but they will not be in use until 2002??Just use your credit card or ATM

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 06:48 PM
wendy

Stayed at the George V in Paris in April. Hotel debited my charge card in Euros. Exchange rate is currently 1 Euro = 85 cents

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Jim J

Use as little of any cash as possible. VISA is the best credit card for acceptance and you get the better exchange rates than the typical bureau. Do NOT use travellers checks in any currency. A pain in the but to get cashed and in many places, they simply won't accept them. Get local currency whenever you need cash. ATM's aren't bad when you consider the commission the exchanges charge.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Lucy

The physical currency (ie, notes & coins) is not yet available for Euros (beginning of 2002 I believe) - it is however actively traded on FX markets & can be used for credit card charges. The local currencies (francs etc) are set at a fixed rate to the euro.