Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I tell a flight attendant that I'll help in the event of emergency

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:20 PM
goNets

Hi. I'll be flying in a couple of days (first time in over a year). Anyway, given the slight possibility of not only an attempted highjacking, but also just an air rage incident, should I let a flight attendant know upon boarding that if they need assistance I'll help?
I'm a young, relatively fit, man but am a private citizen. Does it make sense to make such an offer?

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:40 PM
since you asked

no

Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:05 PM
noway

I wouldn't....unless you want to volunteer to allow the rubber glove crew to get intiamtely aquainted with your orifices...

Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:35 PM
Kate

Hmmm not really sure if this is a troll or not...but assuming you are not then my answer is no also - you don't want to get people unecessarily worried about the possibility of such things happening...but by all means jump in & help if heaven forbid they do (which is VERY unlikely on your specific flight).
Happy travels...

Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:49 PM
honey

You'd probably scare the flight attendants and draw suspicion to yourself with such an offer.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:15 AM
Mike Tyson fan

I tried wearing a t-shirt on a flight recently that said "Black belt in karate. Just signal me if you suspect a terrorist on this flight."

Wanna know what happened?

Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:48 AM
Gretchen

In case this is not a troll--don't worry about offering. Flight attendants do their own assessing of who THEY will choose to help in an emergency. I'm not kidding.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:32 AM
xxx

see also "airlines" thread

Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:04 AM
Rebel redneck

Can I wear a Stars and Bars t-shirt on the flight? That will surely convey to the flight attendants that I am ready to kick some terrorist asses.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:52 AM
A Woman

I would be ready to do my part in injuring an already subdued terrorist/air rager. All the passengers should have a go at the person, at least it would get out our frustration and this whole mess, and we wouldn't feel like victims. But PI wouldn't let us.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:49 AM
Kathy

Just the other day in the paper there was an interview with an American Airlines flight attendant who said she ASKS fit, larger guys if they will help her if she calls for it. Then if she can she moves them up closer to her station. So I say, if you really feel strongly about it, go ahead and say, "I'm willing to help should an emergency arise." I don't think an attendant would be offended by the offer.