Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Should I take Euros with me to Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/should-i-take-euros-with-me-to-italy-627092/)

aranda Jun 28th, 2006 09:23 AM

Should I take Euros with me to Italy?

I'm confused and must admit I am not an experienced traveler. This is my second request for information on this site, and I must say I am so impressed at the informative responses and friendly tone.

This is my first trip abroad in 30 years (I know how sad this sounds t most of you) and I have been doing research and different guide books say different things regarding finances, my question is:

Should I exchange some money before leaving for Italy, enough for a day or two, just until I can get to a bank? If so, where can I do this, are there exchange places to go to? I'm close to NYC and can go there to exchange money if I knew where to go.

I understand from the information on this site that credit cards are a good thing to use, travelers checks are so so (depending on the guide book also), the best exchange rates are from a bank, is this correct?

I will be visiting Positano, Italy with my husband for our 30th wedding anniversary in October for a week. (On our honeymoon we went to Norway and Denmark, just so you all don't think I am a total hick.)

I would greatly appreciate anyone who can point me in the right direction over exchanging money. This is the only part of the trip, which I planned myself, that is making me nervous.

Grazie.

Happy trails!
Aranda

pavfec Jun 28th, 2006 09:26 AM

We just go to our bank to exchange our money for Euros, and we always do it before we leave. In fact, we exchange a pretty good amount and withdraw there if need be. The money we take is our spending money (food, transportation) and for any hotels/B&Bs that take cash only.

alanRow Jun 28th, 2006 09:27 AM

Why do you need to go to a bank, just stop at the 1st ATM you see on arrival - which will be in the airport

pavfec Jun 28th, 2006 09:28 AM

My hubby and I just go to our bank to exchange our money for Euros, and we always do it before we leave. We exchange a pretty good amount (200-300 Euros each) and withdraw there if need be. We use that money for spending money (food, transportation) and any hotels/B&Bs that take cash only. Otherwise, we use credit cards. We have never taken traveller's cheques.

I'm sure if you go to your bank, you can easily get some Euros, especially if you're in NYC.

Margaretlb Jun 28th, 2006 09:37 AM

I usually like to carry about E150 with me when I go just in case there are ATM problems. I purchase euros at the American Express Travel Service, at 111 Broadway NYC (right next to Trinity Church). Here's a link to all of their NYC offices:
http://www134.americanexpress.com/tr...k&action=4

TravelsWithStDavid Jun 28th, 2006 09:40 AM

We have always taken enough Euros for the first day. That way, if you ned money for a taxi or to get something to eat, you have eady cash. We live on Long Island and just go to our local bank and they get the Euros for us. It is cheaper to pick them up at the bank than to have them delivered to your home which is an option they offer. Then when you get to Italy, the best place to get more Euros is at an ATM, just make sure you have a four digit pin number as most ATMs do not take longer ones. Credit cards are better to use than Travelers checks as you generally get a better exchange rate. However, the credit card companies now charge a fee for each foreign transaction. The rates they charge vary, so before you go, check to see which company has the lowest fee.

Have a wonderful trip.

MFNYC Jun 28th, 2006 09:40 AM

I like to have about $200 worth of Euro (for a family of 4) upon arrival. Just so we can grab a cab and get out of the airport asap. We hit the ATM once we're out and about, but until then, I like a little cash for the taxi, hotel tipping and a quick bite if needed.

janisj Jun 28th, 2006 09:44 AM

OK - you mean just a few € to get you through a bit. For that small amount (€100 tops) it really doesn't matter. Your bank will be the most expensive. An Exchange Booth at your departure airport will be next most expensive. An Exchange booth at your arrival airport next -- and finally the cheapest will be to use your ATM card at the arrival airport.

But for such a small amount of money do which ever you want. I personally always wait and use my ATM card.

For getting cash during the rest of your trip - don't worry about going to a physical bank. ATM machines are <u>everywhere</u>.

But -- Your post seems to ask &quot;where to exchange money&quot; - don't exchange it anywhere (except maybe for the little bit at the beginning). Leave your money in your checking account and use an ATM card to get &euro; as you need it.

nytraveler Jun 28th, 2006 09:46 AM

Again - for the 400th time.

Use your credit cards for everything possible.

Use your ATM card (attached to checking account only) to get cash for walking around money at the ATM you will find on almost every cormer, in front of every bank and at every major hotel. (If you feel you MUST have a few euros before you arrive just change $100 in your departure airport bureau de change.)

Do not on any account buy or try to use trav checks - they're very expensive to buy, you lose a lot on the exchange when you cash them and they're very inconvenient to cash (only banks will take them - and not all banks).

greg Jun 28th, 2006 09:47 AM

There are trade offs -- something you can control and others, sheer luck. Depending on the traveler, where they come from, there are different recommendations; that is why you read different things. If someone were to write a comprehensive guide, it would be too long and complicated and only serious travelers would read such article. If a writer always has a good ATM experience, this is what gets recommended -- whether deliberate or by sheer luck. For those who had troubles with ATM and CC, they are more cautions -- and they are reflected in their recommendations.

ATM/Bank-home (your own bank),abroad,CC,exchange bureau-home,abroad: This is &quot;roughly&quot; the order of the favorable fee in getting cash - with ATM machine - with caveat, a stand out better rate, while others all pretty bad. But wait, there are other trade offs.

Time of arrival: My banks are located in US PST time zone. Every trip I have taken, there were times NONE of my ATM/debit would let me withdrawn money at ATMs. So far that always occurred in the late afternoon, European time. While so far all failed transactions always occurred during the middle of my trip, I do not expect my good fortune to continue, and someday this might happen at my arrival airport. so when my arrival is in the late PM, I am more inclined to have at least enough local cash to keep me transported and fed until the next day. I either have left over EURO from the previous trip or take US dollar and eat the awful exchange rate at the airport exchange bureau -- so far I have not had to do this.

What day of the week are you arriving: If you read this forum, even with all the bank notification precautions, there are times you still don't get money from the ATM: even to an experienced traveler. If your bank does not have weekend/off hour customer service to straighten things out, you will need a better backup plan to sustain your Euro cash need till you can contact your bank. Some of my banks have both 24hr customer and fraud department while others only have fraud department on weekend.

What are you doing the day and the day after? If what you are planning to do can be paid by cc (presuming no problem here,) you need less Euro.

You ATM/debit card compatibility: You know you have to have your ATM/debit card primarily linked to your checking account? (in spite of what your customer service might say &quot;should work&quot;) Half of my banks want me to notify them if I were to use the ATM/debit card aboard to prevent &quot;unexpected&quot; oversea transactions from being locked. Other banks don't care. ATM cards vary in their advantages: some as bad as 3% plus $5 per transaction to 0% with no per transaction fee. You should be happy if your bank only hits you with 1% charge passed by Visa or MC.

Bottom line: take at least two different ATM/debit cards linked to checking accounts at different banks. If your bank fraud department needs to know oversea usages beforehand, notify them. Have a backup plan if none of the ATM card works.

I envy those folks who have access to a departing airport that dispenses EURO (at favorable rate, I presume.)

wally34949 Jun 28th, 2006 09:51 AM

What if the plane crashes. Then your kids are out all of that money. But seriously, I went to Rome last year and found an ATM at the airport and used the debit card to get cash. I then purchased a ticket for the train and when to the Central Station in Rome.

I just flew to Stockholm yesterday, did not see a ATM at the airport so I used my credit card and purchased a ticket for the train to downtown.

NO PROBLEM.

suze Jun 28th, 2006 10:12 AM

Just make sure you are comfortable using an ATM card/machine, 4 digit numeric pin, tied to a checking account. Then withdraw euro after arrival, at your first airport or city.

If you are more comfortable having some before your trip, get a small amount from your bank knowing you'll pay a bit more for them.

I also carry some US dollars I could change in a pinch.

Credit cards are fine most places but may not work for the little stuff (newspapers, snacks, smaller restaurants, local shops, taxis, etc.)

ekscrunchy Jun 28th, 2006 10:18 AM

In and around NYC you can get Euro at many banks; Chase is one. I agree..take a small amount (say, E. 100) and get the rest from ATMs when you arrive. I also stash away a few hundred USD in 100-dollar denomination, in unlikely event of some kind of emergency.

SAB Jun 28th, 2006 10:20 AM

Because SFO International terminal has an ATM which dispenses Euros --as well as $--I just pickup Euros at the airport and then use ATM's for additional cash and credit card as much as possible. The ATM which dispenses Euros and $ is a great idea--since I only fly internationally out of SF, I don't know about other airports.

missypie Jun 28th, 2006 10:43 AM

I just cannot leave on a trip without local currency in my purse. In Rome, the landlord wanted to be paid on arrival, so we needed to bring quiet a bit of cash.

I will tell you that in Rome, the first FOUR ATMS I tried were out of money. It made me nervous, but after that, all was well with the ATMS. But it is unnerving to walk away from 4 ATMS without getting any cash.

wally34949 Jun 28th, 2006 10:59 AM

I was so suprised when I was in Corsica and Sardinia. When I checked into a hotel, I gave them my passport and they said, you can pay us when you leave. They did not even want to see my credit card on arrival. I guess I have an honest face after a few drinks.

jimcolorado Jun 28th, 2006 11:12 AM

It really bugs me to read postings on this subject, where some so-called &quot;experts&quot; tell newbies not to worry about taking any foreign currency with them and that they can totally rely on ATM's for currency. Let me again post for the &quot;400th time&quot; my Italy experience, which is not all that unusual from what I have heard.

&quot;&quot;Message: Just returned from two weeks in Italy. I took with me 400EURO TC's (left over from convent deposit needs) and 500 Euro currency purchase prior to trip from Thomas Cook and my VISA debit card along with a couple of misc. credit cards. Arrived on a Sunday and did not try to use the Debit card. However on Monday I tried to make a withdrawal and was refused, the Bancomat telling me that my card was &quot;not authorized for international use.&quot; Prior to my trip I had spoken to the bankcard department at my bank, checking out the issues discussed on this forum about loss of a card and unatuhorized use, etc. I told them that I would be travelling in Italy, and even went so far as to have them send me a new card, since the mag stripe on mine was getting a little worn. And yes I have a 4 digit PIN. I talked to them at least 8 times over various issues relating to the use of the debit card in Italy. I called my bank (7 hour time difference) and as it turns out (3 phone calls and most of a 20 EURO phone card) there is (was)a significant problem with the integration of the Cirrus/Star/VISA network in Europe and many (no exact number) of bank networks in the USA, and they knew before I left that there was a strong probability that my card wouldn't work in Italy. In the end my debit card never worked (many apologizes from VISA), and I was stuck with having to get cash advances from Thomas Cook and American Express. This was somewhat inconvenient because there isn't a Thomas Cook or AMEX on every street corner, and you are limited to 230 EURO per day cash advance. I guess the reason for my post is that I see many pepole here tell other posters that there is no need to take cash or travellers checks with them, and I am here to say that I am glad that I had a source of money to fall back on during those first couple of days in Rome. BTW, the lines at FCO ATM machines were huge!! As many as 50 peolpe waiting at several we walked by.&quot;

suze Jun 28th, 2006 11:35 AM

OK I think the trick is have multiple methods to obtain funds. Pick any 3 below:

1) ATM
2) credit card
3) foreign currency
4) US cash
5) travelers checks
6) 2nd credit card different account
7) 2nd ATM card on separate account
8) preloaded travel card

Each comes with a price and/or risk. You just gotta pick your poison and take your chances!

aranda Jun 30th, 2006 07:48 AM

I want to thank everyone who responded to my request for information on bringing Euros to Italy. I learned many things, and will benefit from all the helpful travel tips.

You are a unique and wonderful group of people! Now, if everyone in the world was as helpful and caring and actually knew what they were doing . . .

happy trails!
Aranda

MaureenB Jun 30th, 2006 07:58 AM

My advice is also to use ATMs for pocket cash, use credit cards for larger purchases. I've had no trouble just getting Euros at an ATM at our arrival airport.
Be aware that many shops in Europe prefer cash over cards, especially for purchases less than about 25EUR, so you need to carry cash more so than in the US.
One smart thing to research is the 'foreign transaction fee' your cards will charge you. Visa charges a standard one percent, I believe, but some banks add an additional two percent to that. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up over the space of an entire vacation. Since you're got the time, I suggest you call your card providers and see what they charge.
Our credit union only charges the Visa one percent, which is a good deal. I've read that Capital One doesn't charge ANY transaction fee, so I'd call them first. It's worth the trouble to open a new account(s) if you need to, in order to save the one to three percent. In fact, you might need more than one card in case one gets lost or you need more than the daily limit to pay a hotel bill, etc.
Also, you probably already know to notify your card providers that you will be using the card in foreign countries, and when.
Have fun!