Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Should I Stay near Heathrow my last 2 days in London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/should-i-stay-near-heathrow-my-last-2-days-in-london-610183/)

ilovetotravel29 Apr 24th, 2006 08:40 AM

Should I Stay near Heathrow my last 2 days in London?

Ok, so I find myself in a bit of a quandry....I am on a budget (under 200 US dollars) for my last two nights in London. I will be coming back from a different country on a friday and will need a hotel room for friday night and saturday night. I have to be at heathrow by 7:50am on Sunday am.

I have so many things I will be doing my last day in london--namely buying last minute gifts and maybe spending time with a friend on friday and saturday night. Am contemplating if it is worth staying closer to the airport, or if I should just find a hotel close to the tube and just catch the Heathrow express on Sunday am.

What bugs me about staying next to the airport is the time it would take me to get back and forth from my hotel to the city....

Does anyone have any good hotel suggestions for 1 person, 2 nights, under 180-200 us dollars total? I just do not want to share a bathroom and the hotel must be clean.

ira Apr 24th, 2006 08:56 AM

Hi IL,

There have been several recent threads regarding good hotels in your budget range, but I can't remember them.

While waiting for a response, enter <London and hotel> in the "search this forum" box.

((I))

ilovetotravel29 Apr 24th, 2006 08:58 AM

Thanks, Ira! I am checking out some of those links right now.....

P_M Apr 24th, 2006 09:01 AM

Do a priceline bid. I recently got the 4* Thistle Marble Arch for $73/night including taxes. That's dollars, not pounds.

pantelia Apr 24th, 2006 09:03 AM

Hi IL,

My kids and I stayed in the Windsor House Hotel on Penywern Rd (Earls Court) last year. It was clean, simple budget accomodations. I just looked at their website and their prices are 22-46 GBP per person for a single. It's literally right around the corner from the Earls Court tube station. www.windsor-house-hotel.com

Keep in mind, it is a budget place, but we had no problems at all, the room was spacious (for having 5 beds in it), and the bathroom, small as it was, met our needs (unless you consider being able to close the door while sitting on the toilet a need!!!!!).

Best of luck!

P_M Apr 24th, 2006 09:13 AM

OK, I didn't address your question regarding where to stay. Since you will be there 2 days, I highly recommend staying in London. I agree that by staying at LHR you will spend too much time commuting back and forth.

On the day you leave you can take the Heathrow Express from Paddington Station to the airport, which starts running around 5am. Another option would be to hire a car service such as www.justairports.com to take you to LHR. Do not take the tube, as it will not get you there until 6:30ish.

Where2Travel Apr 24th, 2006 10:17 AM

I'm really just echoing what P_M is saying but I would definitely stay in Central London and if you are on a budget but want somewhere nice, consider using Priceline.

I have seen people come up with incredible winning bids for good hotels in London. I really believe it's one of the best cities to use Priceline. If you need Priceline information, check out www.betterbidding.com and www.biddingfortravel.com.

suze Apr 24th, 2006 10:27 AM

Since you will be in the city both Fri & Sat nights, that would mean 4 one-way trips Heathrow/London. By staying in the city, you'd only make the trip 2 times.