Reload this Page >

Should I let my mom drive from London to Edinburgh? / or train vs. car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:58 PM
heather

Hi, I read the post on this board "tips for driving in the UK" which was very helpful, but my mom still thinks it'll be no problem, I opted for the train so we could just sit back and relax, especially since i hear the train is wheelchair accessible. correct? She wants to drive says a car rental will be cheaper than $126.00 train ticket, and we'd have more freedom. We don't plan to drive around in edinburgh, just to get there. But we were wondering : How long does it take to drive staright through? <BR>How many lanes does the major highway, i would take, have? <BR>Are the town exits/roads marked clearly? <BR>And if my mom can drive in Chicago traffic or say from New York to Washinton DC... difficulty level how does it comapre? <BR>thanks in advance, any and all thoughts welcomed!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 04:22 AM
Keith

Whatever you do I would not recommend driving from London to Edinburgh in any circumstances! My family lives in Fife and I live in London, so I make this trip several times a year and only drive at Christmas. Basically, it will take around 8 or 9 hours, the journey out of London (if you are in central London) will take forever - having in driven in Chicago rush hour I would say London is far worse - you will have to negotiate the M25, and will be completely worn out before you reach Oxford! The roads are generally good, but very, very busy. If you go up the west coast route (the M6) you will have to cross from Moffat (just north of Dumfries) to Edinburgh, and although this is a scenic road through a very beautiful part of Scotland - the Pentlands - it is a single carriageway and is quite windy. <BR> <BR>If your mom is dead against going on the train - they are safe, whatever the US media says - then you could try one of the budget airlines. EasyJet flies from London Luton to Edinburgh - Luton is about 20 - 30 minutes train ride from central London - and their website is www.easyjet.com. You could also try Go - another budget airline - or British Midland (BA are too expensive on this route.) <BR> <BR>Anyway, hope you have a fantastic time - Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities in the world and I love going there.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 05:01 AM
alex

Heather <BR> <BR>I would go with the comments above - yes, it doesn't look like a great distance but you must allow for traffic jams and unless you are looking for a leisurely couple of days with some detours, it seems more logical to take the train or better still, fly. As mentioned, Go flies from Stansted (40 mins train from London Liverpool Street) - see www.go-fly.co.uk. We flew recently and it is less than 1h 15 flying time - they often have promotions and were only £35 per person return at that time. Definitely cheaper than either car or train at that price, even with connections.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 11:28 AM
kimberly

Take the train. The coast line and scenery is so beautiful - especially at the England/Scottish border...so beautiful that it makes you want to cry!!!!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Tony Hughes

Train, Heather. <BR> <BR>Keith, I thought I could detect a bit of a Fife accent there, like.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Thyra

Though I have driven this exact route.. I also would recommend taking the train. We drove because we had to visit friends in various small towns along the way and also because my husband fancies himself a champion driver . <BR>Well let me tell you.. it's a heck of a long haul.. and stressfull! Several times we got caught behind slow moving trucks...(lorries) and please DON'T get into the passing lane unless you are ready to PASS.. we also ran into a terrible traffic jam up around.. hmm was it Birmingham.. Wolverhampton... some place up there we sat in one place for days.. (well more like an hour).

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:45 PM
steve

I'll join the rest of the replies and urge the train. I've never driven that route, but I took the train twice and they were both memorable, enjoyable trips. I recommend the train when pssible vice a car in the UK unless you're really getting into the small villages without rail connections. Even the food was good on Brit Rail.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Ann

Hi, <BR>Just returned from England and Scotland. We took the train from London to Edinburgh and I definitely recommend the train. We rented a car in Scotland, but waited until we got to Stirling. We were so glad we did not try to drive in Edinburgh or London. As many other readers have stated, the scenery is beautiful. Also, look at the Trainline.com for prices. We had a one-way train ticket from London the Edinburgh for 48 pounds. It was definitely better than driving.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 04:48 AM
steve

If you do drive, take the route that will be all freeways. because we wanted to visit Jedbourgh, we ended up doing the last third over smaller roads and it was very tiring.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 05:01 AM
JOdy

ANN-- I was tryig to use the web address you gave to compare some prices, but I keep getting a website of a music group called" Train". If you see this could you possibley repost the address. many thanks

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 08:25 AM
John

Jody: <BR>Listen carefully. Thetrainline.com. <BR>Good luck. <BR>John

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 08:52 AM
JOdy

JOHN &lt; Many thanks . <BR>I didn't even know there was a group called TRAIN...

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Ann

Jody, <BR>I just saw your post, and John is right it is Thetrainline.com. Sorry I was unclear in previous post. Also, the 48 pounds I mentioned was for 2 people. Good luck. <BR>Ann

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 12:11 AM
heather

Thanks all for your advice . I'm sold on the train. I've never really been on a train trip, and thought it would be a nice why to see the countryside, as many of you metioned how pretty it is. Plus i happen to be in an electric wheelchair which is really a pain in the rear to break down to stow for flying.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 01:44 PM
janis

Well - you don't need my advice since you've (wisely) decided on the train. I drive in the UK a lot (I vacation over there 1 or 2 times a year) and I have driven London to Edinburgh several times and love it. But I know exactly where I'm going. There is no direct route, The West side means zigzagging several roads and the East side means the M1/A1 motorway which is a death trap. It takes most Americans a minimum of 7 hours -- usually more like 10 - even if you don't get lost. And once you get to Edinburgh - you won't be able to find anyplace to park the car! <BR> <BR>Especially being in a chair - take the train - you will love it.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 09:31 PM
heather

I tried thetrainline.com site which gave a price of 53.40 GBP FOR 3 adults.....probley an obvious answer but wht is GBP? (great britian price, )

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:38 AM
Gordon R

GBP = the price in "Great Britain Pounds", or pounds for short. If the price you've been quoted really is the total for three people, buy it - it's a real bargain.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 02:30 AM
ginny

Definitely, without a doubt, take the train. I did in Sept 99, from London to Edinburgh and it was a wonderful, relaxing 4 - 4 1/2 hours. Actually, no matter where we have to go after landing or getting to London, we take the train and then get a car. After a long flight it's the BEST.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:35 AM
Sheila

Heather <BR> <BR>I've collated a series of daytrips you can do by train from Edinburgh. If you'd like me to send them to you please email me. <BR> <BR>By the way, Keith, is that you? (It has to be you, right? Could there be 2 Keith Legg's from Fife?) How's your mum? <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 09:04 PM
j

Hi Heather, the train was great, we even ate in the restaurant car,very classy. I have two suggestions, one be sure to reserve a seat,two advise them of the wheel chair. There are special people available to service people with children and other needs. Just got back Tuesday. Cannot wait to go back to Scotland it was truly beautiful. Joyce