Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Should I leave my engagement ring at home for my trip to Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/should-i-leave-my-engagement-ring-at-home-for-my-trip-to-italy-174674/)

Tammy Aug 13th, 2001 01:42 PM

Should I leave my engagement ring at home for my trip to Italy?

I‘ve already been warned about jewelry and handbags in Italy but am wondering if it’s all right to wear my diamond ring. I’ll be in Venice, Rome and the Amalfi coast. I’ve heard many warnings about Naples and don’t plan on being there at all. <BR>

Book Chick Aug 13th, 2001 01:46 PM

Tammy, I don't see a problem. If it's going to be on your finger, (and why would it be elsewhere?)it may actually help fend off unwanted advances. During some of the time I was in Italy, I wore a ring on the ring finger of my left hand. If some member of the opposite sex was being persistent about trying to strike up a conversation, I would hold my left hand up & point with my right index finger to my ring. End of conversation! <BR> <BR>Seriously, I don't see major "security concerns" here. Have a lovely trip & don't worry. <BR>BC

mimi taylor Aug 13th, 2001 01:50 PM

Tammy, just to be safe , when you are on the street just twist it around to your palm side.

Susan Gillespie Aug 13th, 2001 02:47 PM

We were on a 3 week first-class tour of Italy 2 years ago. 8 people from our tour were either pick-pocketed or mugged! We found Italy lovely but found high crime everywhere we went. It is very difficult to enjoy yourself when the tour director warns you before you exit your motorcoach, to hide all jewelry, watches, purses, wallets and camera's. In the 3 weeks that we were there, we could not relax and enjoy our vacation, because of all the thieves and gypsies everywhere hawking all of the tourists. Especially when they see you departing from a deluxe motorcoach. I went, I saw, but I will not return to Italy. Please do not take any expensive jewelry with you. And hold on tight to your purse!

hmmmmmm Aug 13th, 2001 02:51 PM

Maybe you should leave your fiance home!

John Aug 13th, 2001 03:06 PM

In Italy, I have experienced attempts by pickpockets in Rome, Florence and Venice . . . but not in Naples. <BR> <BR>Not going to Naples in Italy is like not going to Chicago in the U.S. . . . most will say 'who cares'? <BR> <BR>On the other hand, those that have tasted Chicago and Naples have experienced something rich that does not exist in Washington D.C./Rome, New York/Florence or San Francisco/Venice. <BR> <BR>

mike Aug 13th, 2001 03:47 PM

I can't believe the trouble the above folks have had in Italy. I've been to Italy a number of times and find it on a par with NY. Basically be as careful wherever you travel as you would be in any major metro area of the States and you'll be just fine. Besides, the food in Italy is some of the best in the entire world and right now it is so cheap! Good luck, M.

Tammy Aug 13th, 2001 03:54 PM

<BR>Thank you everyone. Any one else?

cris Aug 13th, 2001 04:08 PM

Tammy, I am Italian and I live in the US, so I know both countries. I have been mugged in Naples (but thieves there are only interested in Rolex watches and gold jewelry). Most cities are fine, and if you are in Naples just keep your gold jewelry in the hotel safe. Enjoy your trip!

Tammy Aug 13th, 2001 05:50 PM

Thank you Cris.

Carmen Aug 13th, 2001 06:34 PM

We spent a week in Italy and didn't have any problems. We were with a tour group visiting the traditional tourist places, so we were surrounded by Americans. One member of our tour group did have his wallet stolen in Pisa- he was using one of those fanny packs- somebody bumped into him, and five minutes later, he realized it was gone. <BR> <BR>Other than that, none of us had problems!

Jeannette Aug 13th, 2001 07:01 PM

Just for peace of mind, leave all of your real jewelry at home. I've never had any stolen but I don't have to worry about leaving my rings in the ashtray or my earrings by the sink. The one time I left a fake ruby ring in a B&B in France, they sent it to me in the U.S. I have a fake wedding ring and diamond stud earrings I use only for travel -- including travel in the U.S. You can buy them for literally a couple of dollars at any department store.

Andy Aug 13th, 2001 08:48 PM

Tammy- leave the engagement ring at home- esp.if it is sizeable and people would notice it...not worth taking a chance on getting mugged---if you feel you need some sparkle,wear a cubic zircona ----I never travel with the real jewelry unless I am on a cruise and have a safe in my cabin----I'd much rather go to enjoy the scenery than worry about muggers etc.--

Mama Cass Aug 14th, 2001 04:02 AM

I buy a cheapie cheapie at KMart or wherever and leave my real rings at home, safely. This is as much about my sometimes frazzled state of mind when traveling and going from hotel to hotel as it is about possible theft. <BR> <BR>I started to do this when, on one occasion, I was in a washroom after a long and dusty bus ride and left my ring on the sink while tinkling. Fortunately, a friend saw it and picked it up, but the reason this was so unsettling is that I normally NEVER remove the ring. I think I did this time because there was something nasty on my hands, but one warning near-miss was enough for me.

xxx Aug 14th, 2001 04:21 AM

My husband has bought me some lovely rings in the 8 years we have been married including a separate engagement and anniversary ring. Although all the stones and gold are "real," they are not worth a fortune. However, I do not take them when traveling. They are precious to me due to what they represent rather than the monetary value. I would never forgive myself if they were stolen, or even more likely, if I were to lose or misplace one. The only jewelery I take when traveling is my plain gold wedding band and a plain pair of gold hoops. They go with every outfit, are easy to keep track of and would be easy to replace.

martha python Aug 14th, 2001 05:40 AM

Is your ring insured? (And if not, why not?) Was it a new purchase, or is it a family piece? I wear my engagement ring all over, but it's replaceable. I'm a lot more careful about some things that are worth a lot less in $ terms, but have a lot of sentimental value: Grams's necklace, the pin my favorite aunt gave me, and so on. That stuff stays at home.

curious Aug 14th, 2001 05:49 AM

I've always taken my rings with me when traveling, but leave the other good jewelry (diamond bracelet, pearl necklace, etc) home. I have never had a problem or felt in danger of being robbed. I also wear a pair of diamond stud earrings which I never take off so there is no fear of leaving them anywhere. <BR> <BR>Just make sure you remember where you hid the jewelry at home! I always hide the jewelry I leave behind very well, so well that I couldn't find a pair of diamond and saphire earrings and a pearl necklace for 3 years! My husband would occasionally say "Why haven't you been wearing your earrings?" and I would make up some excuse. I inadvertantly came across the jewelry a few months ago when reorganizing a closet. Thank god the weren't thrown in the bag for Goodwill!

Al Aug 14th, 2001 05:59 AM

A casual thief -- one who siezes an opportunity rather than a predatory professional -- can't tell the difference between costume jewelry and the real thing. These casual thieves act on impulse. A few years ago, we traveled in Kenya and Tanzania with a couple of ladies who dripped with gold jewelry despite all warnings. When it was pointed out to them that casual thieves had been known to hack off fingers to get at "gold" rings, they toned down their stupid displays of both genuine and phoney jewelry.

Monica Aug 14th, 2001 06:41 AM

Leave your expensive jewelry at home. Usually I wear my wedding band and a pair of simple gold earrings, but I may not for my trip to Italy this November. My sister-in-law used to live in Italy and had a beautiful marquee diamond ring that was yanked off her finger (the diamond only). I agree with Al’s comments on costume versus real jewelry. You’ll only put yourself into the same situation. Go without the diamond, you’ll have less worries and have a great time in Italy!

Alex Aug 14th, 2001 06:51 AM

<BR>This topic came up a few months ago and I was lambasted for stating that I intended to wear my diamond ring on my upcoming trip to Italy. I’m sure I will again incur much ire for reiterating my reckless and foolhardy opinions but here goes… <BR> <BR>Our trip to Italy has come and gone and I must report that I (and my jewelry) have returned unscathed. I'm sure some people are muttering "Well she's just lucky." and maybe I am. The God-honest truth is that not for ONE SECOND did I feel that I was putting myself or anyone else (as was suggested before) at risk by wearing my jewelry in Rome, Florence or Venice. I can’t speak for everywhere else. I too have heard of Naples reputation for being kind of rough so if it was on my itinerary I probably would have chosen differently. <BR> <BR>In my opinion, the question is not whether I’m at risk to be robbed in Italy. Of course I am. That risk is EVERYWHERE. The question I asked myself is whether I was taking a bigger risk in Italy than I do every day at home (NYC). I felt at the time that I was not and now that I’ve been there I’m MORE convinced than ever. As it was our first time, we did the typical “tourists” Italy and so we seemed to be always in the middle of a crowd. Even at night the streets are really crowed like New York and so we never felt the teeniest threat. <BR> <BR>Obviously, one has to be security conscious at ALL times, at home and especially when on unfamiliar turf. My travel experience has not been especially extensive or exotic so far but my husband and I have found that the basic "big-city rules" approach to personal security has served us well. Rome, Florence and Venice are crowded, bustling places (expecially Rome) but definitely seemed very safe to us. <BR> <BR>Since the topic came up before my trip, I also made a point while shopping, dining, riding the metro, etc. to notice whether the local ladies wore gems on the street and I notice that they all did just like they do here in New York. So I say "When in Rome...." LOL Frankly, I think the bigger risk is leaving it on the night table or sink shelf of the hotel. But I don’t take my jewelry off, so that is not a risk. <BR> <BR>Obviously, do what you feel most comfortable doing. Some people (like me) feel naked without their wedding rings and don’t go anywhere without them unless there is a genuine reason not to. Some people would never have a moments peace if they felt that there was a risk of losing something valuable (monetarily and sentimentally speaking). I think that both opinions are valid. Finger-hacking in Tanzania notwithstanding, I just don’t believe that ITALY poses any extra risk over the US. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>