Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

should I have a winter honeymoon in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My fiance and I are getting married on Jan 30, 2004. I'd like to go to Europe for the honeymoon but don't want to go anywhere too cold. Someplace mountaineous would be great. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Warm mountains in January in the northern hemisphere?

I don't think so....

Options would include Crete, where the south coast is probably the warmest place in Europe in January; Corsica; the Pyrenees; the Dolomites.

Or wrap up warm and book a romantic hotel in teh scottish Highlands. there's nowhere better when it's meant to be cold.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 12:58 PM

It is very cold in the mountains of Europe at that time. All the better for cuddling, me thinks.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 01:23 PM
ira

Hi

You could go to Naples. They have a mountain.

Greece has mountains.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 01:49 PM

Try Costa Rica--beautiful climate all year round. Stay in the highlands and the temps are in the 70s during the day and low 60s at night--visit the rainforest and volcanos. Or go to the Costa Rican seaside if you want it warmer.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:14 PM
ira

Rufus

Alex wants to go to Europe for her honeymoon. Stop introducing reality checks.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Maira

Brazil in January has similar temperatures as the Midwest USA in July. Not a bad place to head out to if looking for mountains and warm weather in January.

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Intrepid

I definitely think a world geography lesson is in order!

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Intrepid

Alexsmith, perhaps it would help if you could define the term "too cold"..the Greek Islands MIGHT be a possibility but if you're really set on the honeymoon being in Europe you might have to wait, unfortunately.

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:50 PM

While Greece is in EUROPE I think alexsmith is thinking Italy, France, Spain, etc

and I also ask what is "too cold". I love Rome in January..it's not too cold for my Florida blood..but then again there are just hills in Rome no mountains.!

I like Russ's cuddling idea! Hey , you are on your honeymoon...isn't love supposed to keep you warm?
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

I suppose a "reading lesson" rather than a geography lesson is in order here. I stated "someplace not too cold" - I never said that I was looking for a WARM mountaineous region since that's clearly impossible in Europe during the winter.
Some people have way too much time on their hands AND need to learn to read before critiquing others.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:58 PM

I see this post is your first on the Europe board. "Critique" is the middle name of most posters here. Your question was worded very confusingly. Your response pretty much guaranteed that you won't get much help from these folks.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 03:00 PM

well, Dear, I think we are all reading correctly. Since most mountainous areas of mainland Europe are Ski country maybe we need to know what YOU mean by way too cold.

If I were from Minnesota instead of Florida , my idea of way too cold might be significantly different than yours
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Words like cold, cool, warm, etc., are very subjective and depend upon the frame of reference. Too cold for what, sitting outside in cafe or for sunbathing, etc.?
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 03:37 PM
lyb

Getting a definition of "too cold" is definitely a must. I live in California, and for me anything under 45 degrees fahrenheit is "too cold". My best friend lives near the Continental Divide in Colorado, to her, 45 degrees fahrenheit is quite warm.

We do need to know what is "too cold", and then I think we'll be able to help you better.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 04:02 PM

alexsmith - Maybe do some research for places in Portugal, Southern Italy, Greece or Turkey. The hill areas of Scotland and N. England would be moderately cold (relative to extreme inner-continental cold).

Belinda - do you know the poster here who uses the moniker Grasshopper? Just curious.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 04:07 PM

Actually, yes. She introduced me to Fodors. Do you know her?
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 04:11 PM

Not exactly. It's just that I thought you were one in the same. I guess I was mistaken.

Cheers.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 04:28 PM

What about Provence?

I was there this (late) January and it was postively balmy, compared with freezing Toronto. It is probably more "hilly" than "mountainous" (if you are comparing it with the Alps), but you have the Alpilles, around Les Baux, and Mt. Ventoux, around Vaison de la Romaine. I drove up Mt. Ventoux - spectacular - and the roads were fine until I got to just below the summit, when they became a bit icy. The road to the summit was closed.

I think Provence is an excellent choice for a honeymoon. I can post some links for hotels etc. if you are interested.

Best of luck with your planning.

Regards ... Ger
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 04:54 PM

LOL, "too cold" for me would be snow so that would probably rule out all European mountains in the winter!
As a matter of fact, too cold would rule out a good bit of Europe for the winter whether a mountain is involved or not!
If your honeymoon is long enough could you break it up into mountains then a warm place? If not, then I would recommend going to Provence.
I know Grasshopper!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -