Should I drive around Europe?

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I drive around Europe?

My fiance and I are thinking about giving ourselves a tour of Europe for about a week in early May. Our homebase would be either Frankfurt, Vienna, Prague (somewhere on that side of the continent). Should we just book a tour? What cities should we not miss? We really need a vacation!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 02:43 AM

When people ask about driving round Europe, I'm usually the first to recommend them to ignore all the wimpish stuff about staying in one place, to get a decent car and to burn up a few thousand kms with the rest of us boy racers.

But, if you feel you really need a holiday, anything that involves the roads near Frankfurt (or any other major European city) would be about as therapeutic as spending a week driving the freeway between NY and Boston on a rainy Friday afternoon - if that's not too Irish.

Limit yourself hugely (say just to Vienna and Salzburg), and travel between them by train. Or, if you really want to drive, eliminate all expectations of relaxation.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 02:59 AM

I agree with flanneruk...if you plan to make it a "relaxing" driving vavction,then just limit yourslef to driving around a *section* of France, or a *section* of Spain, or a *section* of Italy, etc. Driving from country to country, or even just fully exploring 1 country, takes a bit longer than you might think. It may be easier to hop on a train if you'd rather see alot of different places--if you don't have to actually drive and navigate, it certainly is much more relaxing.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:38 AM

actually, I think everyone has valid points, but, if you can get yourself away from the cities entirely and just stick to the country, you will love the driving. so much more convenient, for 2 people arguably cheaper than a train, and you can change your mind on a whim. not that I don't enjoy trains, I have met many nice folks on trains, (always take a picnic, bring wine and DO NOT forget the corkscrew in your luggage and little plastic cups - you can get cups anywhere of course).

so have fun either way.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:44 AM
ira

Hi Rob,

For a week, choose one small place and stay there.

There are those who have liked driving through Umbria or Tuscany, the Loire Valley, Burgundy, Provence, the Cotswolds, Bavaria.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:57 AM
rex

I am customarily one of the strident proponents of the joys of driving in Europe, agreeing with much of what flaneruk has already posted.

But these four things are incongruous in you post:

"Should I drive around"

"a tour of Europe for about a week"

"What cities"

"We really need a vacation!"

If you really need a vacation (this sounds like you need a relaxing break from stress - - correct "us" if you men that you need a stimulating break from boredom), then there is a disconnect in only having a week, focusing on "cities" and wating to have a car.

And is money no object? To plan something now for early May could involve a $1500 (for two people) or four thousand plus. If you are drawn to the lower figure, check out the bargain packages for air+car on www.autoeurope.com

Even if you fly into Brussels or Paris, you could get to Vienna (Bratislava) for a song on www.skyeurope.com

I assume that this trip will not be competing financially with your plans for wedding or honeymoon?

Hope those are going well, too...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't book an organized tour, especially since this is a romantic vacation (who wants to be stuck on a bus with a bunch of other folks?). Since you have just one week I would figure out 1-2 cities only, with train transport in between. Find a hotel or two with atmosphere and good central location, see a few sites, have some nice meals and drinks in a new place.

Everyone appoaches travel differently, but to my mind, not overscheduling makes a trip a vacation.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Driving in or around urban areas in Europe is a nightmare and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Also ignore the drudges who tell you to stay in one place. They just have a high threshold for boredom.

The best bet is to pick 2 or 3 cities with good rail links and move from one to the other that way. In each city, look for some a local day tour if you want to get into the countryside. Americans assume car travel and only use public transportation when necessay. But Europe is the reverse - assume public transportation and only use a car if it is necessary.

I don't know what your range of possible cities is, but Frankfurt is definately not a place to linger, so rule that one out.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:35 AM

I love driving in Europe, but not in the cities. I say...fly into Frankfurt or Vienna and spend your week in the scenic villages of Alsace, or the Mosel valley, or the Austrian Lakes.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:43 AM

You may want to look into an open jaw flight. I am going in May, flying into Vienna and out of Prague. It is about a 4 or 5 hour train ride between the 2 cities, and no rental car will be needed.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:02 AM
ira

>...ignore the drudges who tell you to stay in one place. They just have a high threshold for boredom.<

How true. A week in any one of Paris, London, Rome, Madrid, Lisbon, Berlin, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Venice, Naples, Florence, Vienna, or Prague would have me pacing the halls in sheer and utter boredom, with nothing to do.

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Only you know what your travel style is - some people do need to keep on the move constantly and are bored after a day or two anywhere. Others prefer to learn more about a place and enjoy a variety of experiences there - and spend less time trekking from one place to another. IMO in a week you can visit at most two cities - or if you want a relaxing road trip - pick a single city and do a car trip from there.

For instance, land in Frankfurt and spend a week in the car exploring the rhine and Moselle valleys. Or land in Vienna, spend a couple of days and then tour the countryside.

We prefer travel by car for the freedom it gives us to travel where we please when we please - not stuck with 6am wake up calls common ontours - or having to keep to train schdules or schlepping luggage on/off. Travel by car in europe is a little different than the US - but except for a few center cities not really much more challenging if you are a competent and confident driver.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think we'll take a train from vienna to prague, and try to relax a little bit.

You guys are so helpful... I got engaged last year on the Eiffel Tower... we had a very memorable trip thanks to everyone's tips!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Platzer, that has to be the winning comment on a day full of dumb posts on this board (just see all the shoe threads).

You truly believe people are "drudges" with a "high threshold for boredom" because we can find exciting and interesting things to do in one location for an entire week?

Haven't you heard boredom comes from within? It is not a function of place.