SHOULD I CHANGE MY ITINERARY/

Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

SHOULD I CHANGE MY ITINERARY/

Because I'm have problems coordinating a ferry to get to Rhodes from Santorini I came up with option plan. Would appreciate feedback. Thanks.

ORIGINAL PLAN
6/8-6/11 Rent car arrival from Cairo. Nafpilo, 3 nights.
6/11/-6/12 Olympia, 1 night.
6/12-6/14 Delphi, 2 nights.
6/14-6/16 Kalambaka, 2 nights.
6/16-6/19 Return car to airport. Athens, 3 nights.
6/19-6/22 Ferry to Mykonos, 3 nights.
6/22-6/25 Ferry to Santorini, 3 nights.
6/25-6/28 Ferry/fly to Rhodes, 3 nights. One way flight is via Athens on Olympic for 400 euros for the 2 of us.
6/28-7/5 Ferry to Crete, 7 nights staying with friends. Haven't found ferry yet but flight is 198 euros Rhodes to Herakion for the 2 of us.
7/5 Overnight ferry to Athens Anek Lines 21:00 arrives 05:30.
7/6 Athens airport hotel.
7/7 Early am flight home.

OPTION PLAN
6/8-6/16 same as above original plan.
6/16 Return car. Catch round trip flight to Rhodes. Cheaper than flying from Santorini which goes via Athens. Round trip for the 2 of us is around 350 euros. Flight is 1 hour each way.
6/16-6/19 Rhodes, 3 nights.
6/19-6/25 same as above original plan-Mykonos & Santorini.
6/25 Ferry from Santorini to Crete.
6/25-7/3 Stay with friends, 8 nights.
7/3 Catch overnight ferry from Chania to Piraeus Anek Lines departs 21:00 pm, arrives next day 05:30 am. Or maybe 7/2, arriving 7/3 and have 4 nights in Athens instead of 3?
7/4-7/7 Athens, 3 nights.
7/7 Early am flight home.
With the option plan I'd have to only change our reservations that we have right now for the Athens Gate to the later date.

WHAT DO YOU THInk?? I really want to visit Rhodes. Any better ideas?
Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:42 PM

Another option would be: fly to Rhodes, spend your time there as planned, then take the 5 pm Blue Star ferry from Rhodes to Syros. That's the same ferry that stops at Santorini on alternate days. Blue Star does that route on Sundays, so there should be a departure on June 19th.

You will arrive on Syros around 2:00 - 2:30 am, which I know is an ungodly hour, but there will be at least two ferries leaving that morning from there to Mykonos, including Speedrunner 3 and another Blue Star. Syros is a neighboring island to Mykonos, so that leg takes only about an hour, and you could be on Mykonos before noon.

The rest of your itinerary will be unaffected by this change, and you will avoid an expensive flight back to Athens followed by another long ferry ride to Mykonos.
Mar 3rd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

But wouldn't we be arriving on Mykonos on 6/20 instead of 6/19? Place is booked on Mykonos from 6/19-6/22. Taking the ferry I'd lose a day on Mykonos.
Mar 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM

Yes, that's right! You will save one night's hotel bill by taking the ferry. ;-) It seems you have made your hotel bookings before checking available transportation links, and are now trying to make the ferries work according to your timetable. It works better the other way round.

You can fly anywhere in Greece within a day, but as you have discovered it can be expensive. If you are inflexible on dates, then I agree flights are your best option.
Mar 3rd, 2011, 01:41 PM

Hate to say it, but that's why the experienced travelers keep telling newcomers -- don't book hotels until you get your transport settled. Can you contact your Mykonos hotel and get the dates changed slightly?? After all, it's over 3 months from now... and tourism is down in Greece.

You are asking people to tweak and re-jigger complicated itineraries for you, just to make it come out exactly on the dates you wish, dates you have pre-determined because you booked without checking transport.
Mar 3rd, 2011, 02:04 PM

The other point you don't seem to have considered is: when will the ferry from Athens (Piraeus or Rafina) reach Mykonos? Your flight from Rhodes will arrive too late for the morning ferries, so you will have to wait until afternoon. Your extra day on Mykonos will, in reality, only start in late afternoon or evening, so you won't have much time to do anything that day. The 19th of June will be almost entirely taken up with travel.
Mar 3rd, 2011, 02:17 PM

Oh, and if you take the 5 pm ferry from Rhodes, you will have almost the whole day to spend there, and do your travelling to Mykonos overnight. I can't think of a more efficient use of time, but perhaps you can. ;-)
Mar 3rd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

What I did was check last year's ferry schedules and made the foolish assumption this year's schedule would be just about the same-NOT! My bag. Headache aside I've decided to scrap plans for Rhodes entirely unless something opens up later. Flights are fine from Athens to Rhodes but the timing is all off to catch a ferry to get to Mykonos without losing that entire day. Not a price I'm prepared to pay. The places I've picked for us to stay are very popular and booking up fast. Had to make the reservations or lose my preferred places to stay. I'm going to stay with our original plan and extend time in Crete with friends by an extra 3 days. And our time on Crete is practically free!!! Next year will get to Rhodes via Turkey-it's much simpler or I'll bite the bullet and pay $$$ to get there one way or another this year. Thanks again for everyone's help.