Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

should I buy optional insurance for my rental car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:22 AM
jg

I am renting a car in Germany, and the price comes with liability insurance. Normally, in the US, I never purchase the additional insurance when I rent a car; but since this will be out of the US, should I go ahead and purchase the extra insurance? Also, I'm renting from Europcar for the first time.....how are they in terms of their vehicles, customer service, etc?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:36 AM
dean

hi<BR><BR>I have rented from Europcar and auto europe. Both ahve given great service and super prices. I have also on one occasion gotten a better price from avis. I go thru a travel agent and prepay in the US. I get a voucher which I present at teh counter for the car. This voucher also entittles me to a free upgrade (Alfa 146 wagon to an Audi at no extra charge!).<BR><BR>I always take the extra insurance. First off they insist on it when I prepay. Second, I have had many an interaction with the walls of the small towns in Italy that I seem to favor. It is just so much easier to hand in the car when you ahve the full coverage and then no one cares about the minor or major remodeliing I have done on their cars. For example, the last time I rented we were in Sorrento. The hotel had parking and while they had my car they deted the front fender. I did not have to hassel with them or worry about the rental car company. Give them the key, grazie e ciao, off we went!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:37 AM
tt

to top

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:43 AM
Tom

Check with your local insurance agent...and then BUY the optional coverage!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:55 AM
lisa

Dean -- the liability coverage JG is asking about is not the type of coverage you are referring to. You need collision coverage to cover damage to the car. Liability is what you use when someone else is injured or you cause property damage to someone else's car.<BR><BR>As for your question, JG, call the credit card company you plan to use to rent the car and see if they have any standard coverage. You should also check with your own auto insurer to see if you will be covered. I always take the liability because I live in NYC and don't have any other auto insurance -- I just can't take the risk that someone sues me for injuries resulting from an accident.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:01 PM
XXX

jg.<BR><BR>There have been many threads on this very same subject. Do a search.<BR><BR>Dean's posting about Italy really is different than Germany. I believe in Italy it is required.<BR><BR>The consensus seemed to be (Italy excluded) that your Visa or Master Card would cover your insurance for CDW. The liability is included in you rental.<BR><BR>Do the search and come to your own conclusions.<BR><BR>XXX

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:31 PM
John

JG,<BR><BR>I usually find AutoEurope to be very helpful with car rentals. Nearly everytime they are the low cost folks. Since they are a broker they place you with rental company.<BR><BR>They have placed my rental with Europcar on multiple rentals over the years, the last being a three week swing in Ireland ending this past weekend.<BR><BR>I have found Europcar to have very good customer service (the radiator blew this past trip and I had a new car within 2 hours even though I was 1.5 hours from the nearest Europcar office.<BR><BR>As for insurance, if piece of mind is what you are seeking, buy the extra liability. I don't in countries where my credit card covers the difference such as Germany.<BR><BR>As others mentioned, check with your auto insurer locally as well, you may be covered overseas.