I am planning a trip for my family (me, my husband, and our 9-year-old twins) to Italy and France for 3 weeks next summer (June 2016). See prior posts for itinerary. We want to fly into Venice and out of Nice. I figured we would have to pay between $1,600 and $1,100 per ticket if I did my homework. I've started checking fares, and have some United miles to use.
I just found an acceptable itinerary on the United website that would enable me to book two tickets using miles, and pay for two more. Total, this would cost me $3,786. That is comprised of a service charge, but is mostly to pay for the two extra tickets. Although that is a lot for the two individual tickets, it only works out to $946 per person. This seems like a really good deal to me, but I am wondering if there is any reason I should NOT do this.
I don't use my miles for anything else, and have no other airplane trips planned for the near future. So, I would like to use the miles I have for this trip, especially if it saves me money.
Is there a disadvantage to booking so far ahead? For example, if they change the flight times? Will it be hard to deal with that when two of our tickets were purchased with miles, and two with cash?
Thank you for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving
- 2 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 3 Family vacation
- 4 Dubrovnik
- 5 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 6 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 7 European Christmas Markets Itinerary
- 8 3 weeks driving the Netherlands
- 9 GTG Paris December 2017
- 10 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 11 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 12 Christmas Markets 2017
- 13 How many miles is a good 'walking tour'?
- 14 Budget trip
- 15 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 16 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 17 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 18 Algarve Town Selection
- 19 Tips for first trip to UK
- 20 paris to london- day trip
- 21 Browsing Barcelona
- 22 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 23 Buying a motorcycle in Europe??
- 24 ROMA Pass inclusions. - 3 days in Rome
- 25 Spain December/ January 2018/19