Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Should I buy Bateaux Seine cruise tickets b/f I leave for Paris?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/should-i-buy-bateaux-seine-cruise-tickets-b-f-i-leave-for-paris-614542/)

chunt1 May 10th, 2006 11:10 AM

Should I buy Bateaux Seine cruise tickets b/f I leave for Paris??

I am traveling to Paris for only three days in the first week of June and want to fit in the Bateaux sightseeing cruise. Should I buy the tickets b/f I leave the US or can I wait and but them at the ticket booth? Any advice would be great!!

Thanks
Cristina

Christina May 10th, 2006 11:22 AM

I didn't even know you could buy them in the US, but I can't see any reason to buy them in advance. There are numberous companies with many boats and probably thousands of seats going up and down the Seine every hour. It's not difficult to get a place.

RonZ May 10th, 2006 04:59 PM

There's also the Batobus, ticket good for all day and evening.

www.batobus.com

Gretchen May 10th, 2006 05:20 PM

NO NO and NO==even if you can. print out the discount ticket and save 2€.

AnthonyGA May 10th, 2006 07:40 PM

There's more than one excursion-boat company the name of which begins with "Bateaux."

In any case, there is no reason at all to buy the tickets in advance. You can walk right up to the boarding area and buy a ticket on the spot for a few euro. There's always plenty of room on the boats.

The Batobus is not suitable for sightseeing and it doesn't really save any money.

lincasanova May 11th, 2006 12:07 AM

i would just play it by ear and join a tour boat at the point you feel ike getting on one.
it may be a beautiful day and you are near pont neuf, so you could take the vedettes from there.

no ned as mentioned to do this ahead of time.

les vedettes also have a 2 euro online coupon you can take with you.

you will see them at various docks along the river, so the worst that can happen is you need to have go have a cup of coffee until the next departure time.

GeoffHamer May 11th, 2006 01:22 AM

There are four companies running sightseeing cruises every half hour. The biggest boats are the Bateaux Mouches which carry around a thousand passengers each. There is definitely no need to buy a ticket in advance.
www.bateaux-mouches.fr
www.bateauxparisiens.com
www.vedettesdupontneuf.com
www.vedettesdeparis.com

grsing May 11th, 2006 02:18 AM

Just be warned that on those Bateaux-Mouches boats, you will be surrounded by big tour groups. Though I found watching the Japanese people taking pictures of themselves in front of every random building amusing.

ira May 11th, 2006 02:46 AM

>The Batobus is not suitable for sightseeing and it doesn't really save any money.<

????????
It's 11, 13 and 16E for 1, 3 and 5 consecutive days respectively.

For that you get hop on/off privileges from the Jardin des Plantes to the Eiffel Tower all day long.

The vessels are much smaller than most of the tour boats.

Even if you buy the 16E pass and only use it twice, it is less expensive than the other ways of traveling on the Seine.

((I))

RonZ May 11th, 2006 06:51 AM

Plus during summer the last Batobus run is at 10 pm.

alan64 May 11th, 2006 07:01 AM

I like the Vedettes du Pont Neuf, and there's no need for advance purchase with them.

chunt1 May 11th, 2006 06:03 PM

Thank you everyone for all of your great feedback. I have decided to buy the tickets when i get there. Also, thanks for the info on the online coupon!

Cristina

LarryJ May 11th, 2006 06:52 PM

One thing Paris has plenty of is tour boats on the Seine. Some are nearly the size of an aircraft carrier so you will have no problem getting a seat.

Larry J

StCirq May 11th, 2006 06:56 PM

The Vedettes du Pont Neuf are the best ones, and no, don't buy in advance - you'll pay too much. Just go there and buy a ticket.