Should I buy a Paris Museum Pass?

Jun 24th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Should I buy a Paris Museum Pass?

My short trip to London and Paris is only 5 fays away and I am very excited and have really pared down my original "to do" list thank to all of your suggestions. As part of our trip in Paris we will be visiting the Louve and going out to see Versaille. I think it would be wise to buy a two day pass for those two spots. What are your thoughts? Does the pass really save time? Should I get a tour at either of those two spots? Or get an audio and self tour? I plan to buy the pass at Notre Dame? Can I use my credit card to buy the passes?
Thanks for your help.
Jun 24th, 2012, 11:41 AM

The good thing about the pass is it lets you go to the front of yhe line. We once bypassed a two block long lline of people who were standing in the rain waiting to get in to the Orsay Museum. There is a headset audio guide for the Versailles tour. That will give you the info you need. For the Louvre, get a map of the museum and a guide ahead of time. The museum is so big you will probably only go through 1/3 of it. The Dinon wing. That is the one with the Mona Lisa, Winged Victory and a bunch of other famous works of art. The passes are available at the larger Metro stations. I don't remember about using CC.
Jun 24th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Good thoughts, do you Have a favorite guide for the Lourve?
Jun 24th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Would Barnes and Noble have one?
Jun 24th, 2012, 12:36 PM

You could time your visit so you can go on one of the English speaking tours. I found that to be a great introduction to the Louvre. It covers the main pieces and you get some history along with it, plus you're with someone who knows where they are going so you don't get lost! After the tour, you can backtrack to places you want to see again or that looked interesting. The schedule should be on the Louvre website. Have fun!
Jun 24th, 2012, 04:26 PM

A museum pass isn't worth it for 1 museum per day. However, long lines exist, and for that you might consider it. Buy it somewhere smaller, or you'll be in a long line anyway.
I use a pass when I know I'm doing up to 2 museums a day.
Jun 26th, 2012, 01:09 PM

We found that the Concergerie on the Il de Cite was a
good place to buy the Pass. It is not crowded so you won't have to stand in a long line, usually. Yes, you can put it on
a credit card. Don't fill out the date on the back until you
are certain of the first date that you will use it. It can
be bought in advance of the first date.

Pat
Jun 26th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Well one can buy the Versailles tickets online, and avoid the ticket line that ways( you will still line up for security, pass or no,, and that can take long, get there early even with pass)

Louvre,, there is no reason to buy a Museum pass to avoid lines there, simply do not follow the hordes who line up at the Pyramid entrance,, of course there are lesser used entrances. I have entered through the Carosuel shopping mall for my last 7 or 8 visits and never waited more then 10 minutes to get through security there. .
Jun 27th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your helpful hints. The trip is in two days, and am so excited.
Jun 27th, 2012, 04:59 PM

If trip is in two days you may not have time or be able to buy Versailles online, if this is the case do get Museum pass, just to skip insanely long line for tickets at palace.
Jun 27th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Have fun Nhgirl3G!
Jun 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM

“Can I use my credit card to buy the passes?”

Hi Nhgirl3G,

Yes, but it will cost you more. Two weeks ago I bought my four day Museum Pass for €54 at the Musee Rodin. I was told that if I had used a credit card, it would have cost € 62 (plus whatever bank fee would be involved.)

For me it was worth it. In fact, I made seven museums (I was really booting it) in those four days. The pass is a good incentive. Example, I joined those exhaustive lines at Saint Chapelle only because I had the pass.

By the way, at Saint Chapelle, there is only one line because of security.

Suggestion: don’t miss the Orsay and Rodin. The Louvre is a challenge…