Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I buy a Chunnel ticket before going to London (for travel to Paris)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do these tickets become scarce or are they cheaper to buy before getting up to the ticket window? Just wondering what I should worry about doing before I leave on my trip. Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM

They are definitely cheaper to buy in advance rather than waiting until day of travel. Please see eurostar.com.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM

You can literally save $100 or more by advance purchase of cheaper tickets sold only in allotments and you should do so far in advance or pay much much more.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I just looked again and wish I would've thought of asking the forum sooner - it's now cheaper to fly! I do dread the idea of going through airport hoopla but it may be a better idea since even 2nd class is around 300 euros!
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 12:59 PM

whoah... that doesn't sound right at all... what date/time are you looking to travel? Also, what website did you check for that price?
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 01:25 PM

Did you check the Eurostar website, did you clear the cookies from your internet browser and try different currencies, did you add in the cost - time and money - in flying rather than city centre to city centre?

And which airline and which dates
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

@griz_fan: you're right....it was for two. I felt partially really stupid and other part elated at my buy one, get one free realization! I booked a Premier class trip for two for $475. Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:35 AM

Sometimes however if landing in Heathrow and you cannot cop a really good Eurostar fare then it makes sense to book a connecting flight from Heathrow to Paris - getting to St Pancras, Eurostar station in London, takes time and money and if by public transit some changes of train and or Tube.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:45 AM

I would book the eurostar in advance -- there are a limited number of 69 pound round trips available. We waited till we were in England one time, and found that we had to pay a much higher fare. However, one year we found a great travel deal in the Telegraph where we got fare to Paris and three hotel nights almost as cheaply as just the eurostar fare. If you're not looking for luxury, there are some very nice hotels within walking distance of the Gare du Nord on the "Rue de Petit Hotels". We have enjoyed the "Hotel Nord Est" in particular. Have a great trip.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:08 AM

At the risk of making Pall Pal come over all unnecessary as my old mum would say, "Chunnel" is not really used nowadays.
The tabloids tried to coin the word at the beginning and it never really caught on. Pal thinks that its usage has a special amendment in the American Constitution.
However, that aside, what really caught my eye is that the message is tagged "Ukraine".
I'm pretty sure the OP didn't tag it that way.
It's happened before. It's almost like a default tag.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 08:35 AM

Yes the Ukraine tag applies to any Chunnel word in title - like one i posted once and was criticized by FodorGarchs for posting it under the Ukraine. that time it was corrected quickly by someone but this one not.

Josser - it is simple 'Chunnel' is the American word most use - needs no Constitutional protection - just the jargon we use so get used to it!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Not true at all. Anyone with the tiniest smidgen of travel experience knows that only a portion of the London-Paris Eurostar route goes through the channel tunnel. But it's always good to check in to find out what "most Americans" say, eh?
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 01:55 PM

So, Pal. If "Chunnel" is the word Americans use for the Eurostar trains, what do they call the car and truck shuttles that run from Folkestone to Calais through the tunnel?
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:41 AM

So, Pal. If "Chunnel" is the word Americans use for the Eurostar trains, what do they call the car and truck shuttles that run from Folkestone to Calais through the tunnel?>

They have never heard of it for most so there is no word really - they would say the Shuttle Chunnel Trains if they did i suspect.

But the point is that 'Eurostar' trains is rarely used and 'Chunnel Trains' is - to wit legions of posts from Yanks using the word 'Chunnel'.