Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Should I book sightseeing tours of Lucerne in advance ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/should-i-book-sightseeing-tours-of-lucerne-in-advance-715373/)

asd Jun 22nd, 2007 09:54 PM

Should I book sightseeing tours of Lucerne in advance ?

Hi, I plan to be in Lucerne in Mid October with family. We would like to visit Mt. Titlis with IceFlier and Jungfroch. Would it be better to take one of the conducted tours ? Is it cheaper to book online or visit the tour office and make the booking in person ? Thanks in advance. :-)

mel1 Jun 23rd, 2007 12:07 AM

How long will you be there?
That's not high season, and Lucerne is small so I don't think you'd have trouble getting a tour at all. I wouldn't worry about it till you get there. RE cheaper, sorry can't help....maybe do some research on what tours you want to do cost so you have an idea when you arrive. have fun

asd Jun 23rd, 2007 01:10 AM

Thanks mel1 for your response. I will be there for 4 days. I have got the costing for these tours from sites like Viator. Before I confirm with them I wanted to know if it will be better to land in Lucerne and then take a decision. BTW, how is the weather in Lucerne in Mid October. Will there be rains ? My last visit to Lucerne was in 2002 Feb. and I could not go up Mt. Titlis due to a snow storm. :-(

Kristinelaine Jun 23rd, 2007 05:14 AM

I would be hesitant to book any mountain tours in advance due to the possibility that the weather would be bad for mountains and you would have bought and paid for a tour that day. Could you get your money back? I would doubt it, but I could be wrong.

We went to Jungfraujoch in May and it was very expensive -- but it was a fabulous day -- sunny and bright -- and due to the fabulous weather, we felt it was the worth the money. Well, actually, I did. My husband said it was my next birthday, Christmas, and anniversary present!! But I'm sure he was just kidding!

sunstar Jun 25th, 2007 08:19 AM

I base excursions on the weather, time factors or whether I am in the mood to do something at that particular time.

Even though the Titlis excursion is a popular excursion, particularly with the big tour companies, I would not think you would have any problems getting tickets the day of the booking.

The Jungfrau trip should be done on clear days if possible.

Now playing:

Allman Brothers Band: Every hungry woman

Jethro Tull: We used to know

altamiro Jun 25th, 2007 09:42 AM

Or, unless big tour buses are your definite preference, you can simply take the train to Engelberg and catch the cable car to Titlis.

As to Jungfraujoch, it is NOT a good idea to make this trip from Lucerne. You will need 2 1/2 hours one way just to get to the foot of the mountain, and then another 1 1/2 h for the cog train up.

kleeblatt Jun 25th, 2007 10:18 AM

Hoi Altamiro:
You've become a real Swiss. Don't forget that tourists are here only for a short time and are willing to spend 3 hours one way on a train, especially to Berner Oberland/Jungfraujoch. If someone paid my way, I'd do it too. By the way, the trainride is really pretty from Luzern to BO and back.

visormom Jun 25th, 2007 01:54 PM

ASD..i was delighted to read your post. I had the same question regarding Jungfroch. I appreciate the replies regarding a long way from Lucerne for a daytrip; however, when you come all the way from Texas...riding a train in glorious scenery will be a treat in and of itself. We don't train...we surburban :)If anyone has additional comments regarding that excursion, I'd love hearing more too. I will be there in 2 1/2 weeks...Heidoho

swandav2000 Jun 25th, 2007 02:11 PM

For asd & visormom,

As much of a delight that a train ride through glorious scenery is, being actually ON the mountain is that x100. Seeing the beautiful mountains from a moving train window is like watching a tv screen while being outside on the mountain is a 360 degree, five senses experience that will last a whole lot longer.

For that reason, I suggest that you either stay in the Berner Oberland if seeing the Jungfraujoch is that important to you.

If you're staying at Luzern, there are plenty of mountain experiences at your doorstep. You don't need to spend all that time inside a moving train. See Rigi, Titlis, & Pilatus. Meander down an Alpine trail. Take a cable car and have a meal and a few beers at a mountaintop restaurant. Spend some time, make some memories, and see what you're seeing.

It would be a shame to come all the way from Texas and have only bits & pieces in your memory box.

s

visormom Jun 26th, 2007 06:11 PM

Howdy S...wonderful points. Here's my deal: company paid trip; therefore, they've paid for our accommodations in Lucerne. It will be our 2nd time in Lucerne, and we have already done those areas you recommended. Last trip, we hooked it to the Schilthorn...and my kids loved the train. Again, it may sound absurd, but that was their first ever train ride. I 'think' it's about a 2 1/2 hour trip...correct?? Shoot...we drive that far to a mall. That will only encompass 1 full day of our 10 day trip. But, i'll think of you as we return to Lucerne wiped out :) Thanks again!!! VM

asd Jun 26th, 2007 10:14 PM

Hi, Thanks everyone for the enlightenment. I have decided to wait till I have touched down and running in Lucerne before I part with my CHF for the mountain tours.

asd Oct 22nd, 2007 03:30 AM

Hi everyone,
Just back from my Swiss trip and reporting.
Took the advice of several of the Fodorites and planned to check the weather before commiting on the excursions.
The weather was great in Lucerne with clear, blue skies, crisp and cool days.
We bought Tell Pass which meant that our Titlis trip was covered by the Pass, but for the last leg of the journey - Rotair. Took the train to Engelberg, walked the short distance to the Cable Station and up we went to Mt. Titlis, 10000 ft. high. Since it was off-season, there was very little crowd and we had a great time there.
Next day we took the Excursion to Mt. Pilatus. Tell Pass, again covered trip. We used the Golden Pass route - Picturesque Ferry journey from Lucerne to Alpanastad, then on by Steepest Cogwheel railway to Mt. Pilatus top. Excellent clear weather at the top with clear views all around.
Return by Cable Car. Between changeover to Gondola at Fräkmüntegg, sampled the Tobboggan ride and then took the Gondola to Kriens. Short bus ride took us back to Lucerne. Weather again couldn't be better.
Thanks to Fodorites, I decided not to take the conducted excursions and took the journey on my own, had a great experience and saved a pile in the process.