Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Should I book it? Saving dollars by booking US to Rome on separate airlines. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/should-i-book-it-saving-dollars-by-booking-us-to-rome-on-separate-airlines-663693/)

rbnwdln Dec 11th, 2006 12:12 PM

Should I book it? Saving dollars by booking US to Rome on separate airlines.

Going nuts with trying to save on airfare for June and trying every possible way to get across the pond on the cheap, I found that I could book Delta from NYC to Dublin for a mere $471 per person total and then book Aerlingus to Rome for about $193 per person. That is about $663 for June NY - Rome. Way cheaper than any other flights. The only hitch is having to stay over in Dublin one night to catch the first morning flight back to the US, but I can cut Rome short by one day. I never do anything like this - usually just book the whole trip on one airline. I'm nervous but it is saves so much money! My husband says go for it, but I trust you guys in these matters. Should I do it?

WillTravel Dec 11th, 2006 12:16 PM

I do this all the time, so I'm inclined to favor it. Your plan of staying over one night in Dublin is good. I'd do this, particularly if you think you will enjoy Dublin.

rbnwdln Dec 11th, 2006 12:19 PM

Yay! Thanks Will. Yes, we've never been to Dublin (except the airport). I tried lots of other cities as a stop on the way to Rome and Dublin on Delta comes up the cheapest by far. The only choice to Rome from there is Aerlingus, though. Anyone agree or disagree with Will?

Dukey Dec 11th, 2006 12:31 PM

Check www.skyscanner.net and the possibility of flying on Ryanair from Dublin to Rome

ekscrunchy Dec 11th, 2006 12:35 PM

Is Aer Lingus picking up the hotel tab in Dublin? If not, you have to figure that in, as I am sure you realize.

SusanP Dec 11th, 2006 12:35 PM

The problem with your scenario is that your overnight in Dublin is only on the way back. On the way, if your Delta flight is delayed for any reason (not unusual), and you miss that Aerlingus flight, you lose it completely and have to pay for another flight, whatever they want to charge on the spot (certain to be a lot more than $193). They won't just put you on the next flight when they are separate tickets and different airlines.

clevelandbrown Dec 11th, 2006 12:43 PM

Unless you are a sleep on the floor backpacker, I would suggest you look at the costs of lodging, food, and additional transportation for your stay in Dublin. (Also check what airports Aerlingus uses for possible additional transportation expenses). If you will be spending $175 to save $100, it may not be a good idea.

Also consider the possibility that you will miss connections. With most of the economical tickets, if you miss a connection (unless you have bought the entire flight on a single ticket), you will be standing in a strange city trying to figure out how to afford a very expensive ticket to replace the one that was paid for but not used.

ibpress Dec 11th, 2006 12:55 PM

I am having the same kind of problem trying to get an outbound flight in June from Baltimore to Manchester, England in June and inbound from Naples, Italy back to BWI in July. The prices on all the consolidators and individual airlines are out-of-site. Should I wait in hopes that prices will come down, or bite the bullet and book? thanks, ivan

WillTravel Dec 11th, 2006 12:57 PM

Of course if you are including the Dublin stay as part of your vacation, and you will enjoy Dublin, then the costs for staying in Dublin are not lost.

saltymuffin Dec 11th, 2006 01:08 PM

I would stay in Dublin for two nights to give yourself a full day and a chance to actually see something, making the stop worthwhile.

ekscrunchy Dec 11th, 2006 01:12 PM

How much would you save on airfare? I would guess yoou have to allow a minimum of 200 US Dollars for an overnight in Dublin, including hotel, transport and some kind of food....that is just conjecture since I've not been there yet..

rbnwdln Dec 11th, 2006 01:18 PM

Everyone makes good points. The savings over booking through on one airline is around $500 total for both of us. I consider that a pretty good savings. I'm confused about being required to buy a new ticket if our flight from JFK is delayed. I've never missed a flight but are you saying that if I go to Dublin and then want to go from there to Rome, and I miss my flight for whatever reason then I have to buy a whole new ticket? I assumed that if a person missed a flight because of traffic or whatever then they put you on the next flight. Dumb. Something to think about.

kayd Dec 11th, 2006 01:23 PM

If you miss your connection in Dublin on the way over and you have two separate tickets (US-Dublin-US, and Dublin-Rome-Dublin), you are considered a no-show for Dublin-Rome and that entire ticket, including the return Rome-Dublin segment, will be canceled.

ekscrunchy Dec 11th, 2006 01:24 PM

Why don't you call Aer LIngus and ask them what happens if you miss the flight from the US? I would guess that it is not their problem but it does not hurt to make a phone call. Have you checked going to Rome from the US on Aer Lingus with a connection in Dublin? That way they would likely put you up if necessary.

WillTravel Dec 11th, 2006 01:26 PM

Ryanair certainly wouldn't accommodate you if you missed the flight. With Aer Lingus, I think there's no obligation for them to do so, but it's possible they might. But with a day's delay in Dublin, it should be fine. Or you can get travel insurance that covers this contingency (another expense to consider, unless you are getting it anyway).

kismetchimera Dec 11th, 2006 02:05 PM

I am trying to find a good fare for my trip to Europe in June,I cant believe how much the tickets cost for two people.
I have been searching daily with different airlines, Consolidators, Cheap flights but it seems that not matter where I search the price is always the same..
I need a open jaw ticket for the end of May from SAT to FCO, coming back the end of June or early July from AMS to SAT.
So far the cheapest thing that I can find is over 1,380 dollars..

Last year I paid only 752 dollars for my trip to Europe..

rbnwdln Dec 11th, 2006 02:25 PM

Aerlingus from NYC to Rome via Dublin is $905 per person. Doing it my way it is $663 per person. We arrive at 7:05 AM in Dubin and I think we have a number of hours to work with before the flight to Rome. I'm thinking if we are delayed enough in NY to impact the flight from Dublin, couldn't we call Aerlingus and report that we are delayed in NY? I don't know. This is making my head hurt. I'm still confused about flights cancelled if you are late. So, if I miss a flight because I am delayed for any reason, that ticket and the return ticket are cancelled, kaput? Wow, my daughter's in-laws must waste a lot of money because they miss half the flights they are supposed to fly on! What to do? I HATE paying $900plus when I can get the flight for $663. I guess I just have to ask myself, "Do you feel lucky, punk? Do ya?" Sorry, getting punchy. Starting to quote Dirty Harry.....

WillTravel Dec 11th, 2006 02:40 PM

You could look at the provisions for changing a ticket on Aer Lingus, if you want to know the potential cost of changing the flight time before the actual flight. That would be listed in the fare rules for that ticket.

You could also look into booking two separate one-way tickets, on Aer Lingus or Ryanair as convenient, to avoid the problem of the return part of the Dublin-Rome itinerary being cancelled. With Ryanair, this is no problem at all. I'm not sure about Aer Lingus.

Musicteacher Dec 11th, 2006 02:48 PM

I just looked on Orbitz (using arbitrary dates from late May to late June). There is a $682 fare on Alitalia-Virgin Atlantic, non-stop from NY to Rome and changing in Heathrow on the way back. This would be all on one ticket and would cut your travel time considerably.

landini Dec 11th, 2006 03:26 PM

Do you have to fly into Rome? What about Milan as an option and then a train to your destination In Italy?