Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should i book hotel on the mainland of Venice?

Sep 26th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

As we will be staying 2 nights in venice on 2nd ,3rd dec '10. as part of my tour of Europe,is it recommended to stay on the mainland at the Pizzele Roma against the islands...as i am told there are no porters to carry your lugae and one has to tackle bridges and steps to get to your hotel on the island.What do you say...Dala_lama if ure reading this i'd appreciate your expert advice!...also which is the cheapest flt to nice from florence...i dont mean the low cost ones as they hardly allow any luggae weight...
Which hotels to satay at in venice and florence which are say 3* or 2 * with buffet breakfast?
Thanks in anticipation...
Sep 26th, 2010, 07:31 AM

There are no flights between Florence and Nice.
Sep 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM

The Piazzale Roma is in Venice. Your suggestion might have been for Mestre, which is on the mainland.

The bridges and steps in Venice are very low and easy to maneuver. You could even pull your rolling suitcase up the steps. I strongly advise you to stay in Venice proper if at all possible. Venice is unique and staying in the city is an important part of the experience.

For hotels look at www.tripadvisor.com and/or search this forum.

As for flights from Nice to Florence, check those arriving in Pisa, which is an easy train ride from Florence.

But for all your travel in Europe pack light. Only bring one suitcase, 24" at most and maybe a rollaboard. In fact, this is a lot. Porters have practically disappeared. You must be able to handle your own luggage, carrying it up and down stairs and lifting it into overhead racks on the trains.
Sep 26th, 2010, 07:56 AM

Definitely stay in Venice itself, especially with a short stay of two nights. Definitely pack lighter!
Sep 26th, 2010, 08:06 AM

I wouldn't stay near the parking lot. Choose a better location in Venice. I guess that by islands by mean Venice?

Do you have mobility problems that would prevent you from rolling your suitcase up a few steps? The bridges are not high in Venice. Even if you stay elsewhere you will have to walk over a few bridges while sightseeing.
Sep 26th, 2010, 08:08 AM

There is Venice and then there is the mainland. Two separate things. I wouldn't go all the way to Venice to stay on the mainland. Thousands of people manage to stay in Venice proper every day with luggage. Unless you have very limiting physical disabilities there is no reason not to be right in Venice. Pack light and bring a rollaboard.
Sep 26th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your replies ....and no i have no physical disabilities at all(!)...it was just a recommendation by a friend who visited venice...maybe i understood her wrong.ciao!
Sep 26th, 2010, 09:50 AM

If you haven't picked a hotel yet you can select one that either has a private dock (but then you will nee to take a water taxi from the train station) or one that is near a vaporetto stop =- to minimize the distance you will have to pull the luggage. We always do the former - but obviously these tend to be the more expensive hotels.

Do not stay in Mestre - which is NOT Venice - but an industrial town on the mainland - and will require a train ride every day to and fro Venice.
Sep 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM

But if you must save money or not be able to afford Venice then consider staying on the Lido, where i've gotten off-season hotels for as little as 32 euros - nice modern hotels to boot and regular boat service to San Marcos and other points in Venice. I do agree staying right in Venice proper is desirable but if funds don't allow it stay in the Lido rather than the more dumpty Mestre IMO.
Sep 26th, 2010, 11:39 AM

I am a 60+ woman, and stayed in a nice little hotel in Cannaregio, near the Train Station. I rolled by suitcase around, no problems at all!
Sep 26th, 2010, 12:27 PM

I agree pack light. The simplest solution is not to pack more than you can easily move around. I see heaps of people rolling their suitcases around venice and carrying them onboard the water buses. Having said that, yes there are a lot of steps and I do sometimes see people struggling. Also be sure to get a good map and good directions to where you are staying. Venice is very easy to get lost in.
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:33 AM

Arrived home from Venice just 4 days ago. Thanks to advise from Fodors folk, we stayed at Ca della Corte (on Corte Surian, which I mention due to earlier confusion with another hotel of similar name that received unfavorable reviews here and on TA). It was maximum 10 minute walk (with luggage) of Piazzale Roma; from there only 20 minutes to airport on shuttle bus. Very affordable (E125 per night), breakfast served in your room. Impeccably clean (the hardwood floors shine! No dust found anywhere!), tastefully decorated, easy to walk to all the main sights. Would stay there again without hesitation. Hint: The map on their website is okay, but before you leave, print it and use mapquest or google to fill in the blanks with names of other side-streets; this will make it easier to find the first time.