Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Should a woman worry about walking around alone in Greece? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/should-a-woman-worry-about-walking-around-alone-in-greece-620517/)

EllensWords Jun 3rd, 2006 07:25 AM

Should a woman worry about walking around alone in Greece?

Should I have any concerns about wandering around on my own? (I'm a 46 year-old female and no slim Barbie, but I do still get sometimes that sort of uh, special unsolicited attention from male strangers here in the U.S.) I'm traveling with my father and his wife, so anticipate some time separate from them. I imagine my wanderings will mostly be things like a morning walk in the vicinity of our hotel, an afternoon at a beach somewhere, afternoon shopping of some kind, and maybe an evening stroll if I've been cooped up all day. I don't mind compliments if they are harmless, but I don't want to provoke or invite physical contact or potentially dangerous situations. What do you think?

murphy89 Jun 3rd, 2006 07:35 AM

I have been travelling alone in Greece for 2 months and have not felt uncomfortable at all. Greece has cities just like the ones from the US -
except with far less crime. So if your okay navigating the United States alone, you'll be fine in Western Europe. If you find yourself getting unwanted attention just do what you would do at home - tell him to bugger off if he doesn't take a polite hint. Use some commen sense and don't be paranoid.

Have a good trip.

SeaUrchin Jun 3rd, 2006 08:38 AM

Have you watched Shirley Valentine?

luvtotravel Jun 3rd, 2006 08:49 AM

Oh yes, watch Shirley Valentine. It's not fiction (LOL). I've traveled Greece alone and had lots of male attention. Just be confident and let them know if the attention is not desired. Anyway, I've been to Greece four times, and I think it is one of the safest places I've ever been. Where in Greece will you be?

l2007 Jun 20th, 2006 07:55 AM

how was greece? I am going alone in August 06 Athens thens short cruise 4 days then 7 days in Rhodes. Any advice?

Christina Jun 20th, 2006 08:58 AM

My experience is that this is basically an issue of being a tourist, not just because you are a woman and the local climate. It's the same situation in many countries, but especially the Mediterranean, it seems. Men prey on female tourists for a variety of reasons, some in that many of them like it and think it is flattering or it builds their ego to have strangers "complimenting" them and annoying them. You can get that kind of attention anywhere, if you hang out in the right spots and if you encourage it in any way.

So, I would expect from your description, this will happen more at the beach. That's what I observed in Greece. I wouldn't expect it to happen on a morning walk or shopping, although maybe in shopping if you are in major tourist shops and areas with a lot of tourists.

Hania Jun 20th, 2006 12:44 PM

I have travelled to Greece twice by myself (once for 10 weeks) and a total of 9 times. The reason I choose Greece is that it is so safe for women travellers. That is just one reason but an important one. On the islands Greek's treat you with respect and caring. They sometimes are concerned about you and will go out of their way to help you. In Athens you have to keep your guard up in the evening like any big city. If you see a couple of guys coming towards you, cross the street etc. I have only had 2 incidents, one from a young Greek man when I was walking back to the old airport by the sea in by bathing suit trying to dry it off before my flight back. He put his arm around me and I said POLICE and he took off. I should not have been walking there dressed like that. And the 2nd time was in a fruit market in Rhodes, a tourist pinched me instead of the fruit. On the islands the Greeks are family oriented and trust worthy. Numerous times I left my luggage with a restuarunat while I looked for a hotel and never had a prboblem. I would just come back and have a drink and something to eat there. The Greek's treat tourist's well.

murphy89 Jun 29th, 2006 08:58 PM

While agree in general with Christina that men like to hit on tourists - I wouldn't call it "preying" on them. They aren't animals, they aren't going to attack you. I find this sort of comment/concern often on this forum. Men like women. Some women even like them back (otherwise men would eventually just give up on tourists). This isn't criminal in any way. If you don't want a mans attention, be clear, if that doesn't work (likely it will), be loud - that usually does the trick. You should take the percautions you would at home, but personally I felt very safe in Greece. Just my opinion.

walkinaround Jun 30th, 2006 04:16 AM

whilst it might be helpful to get experiences from others, it really depends on so many factors it's difficult to discuss. it all depends on where you are going, how you carry yourself, etc, etc.

greece is full of tourists so it's not only greek men to worry about. for example, some touristy places on rhodes are very aggressive and hostile places to be at night....and this depends on who is there at the time so nobody can say "you will have no problem in XYZ". sometimes groups of lager louts descend on these places and it's all over for anyone wanting a relaxing holiday free of harrassment.

you really need to be careful in choosing your destinations in greece, especially if you are going on a beach holiday...some of the beach resorts are dreadful ...not unlike the worst council estates in london.