Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Shorts in the heatwave (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/shorts-in-the-heatwave-233855/)

Sam Jun 24th, 2002 05:51 AM

Shorts in the heatwave

I hear that Italy is experiencing a heatwave right now with temperatures ranging from 93-103F. Italians don't wear SHORTS even in those temperatures? I am going to be extremely uncomfortable if I "shouldn't" wear shorts when I am there 2 days from now if the temps don't let up.

Cristina Jun 24th, 2002 06:13 AM

Of course Italians wear shorts. Maybe not when they go to work but with the heat we are expericencing I am seeing most people in shorts.<BR><BR>Oh and it isn't just hot but also very humid here in Tuscany (90% and 100°F)

ARCHIE Jun 24th, 2002 06:20 AM

IF its hot, wear shorts. The old addage that Italians do not waer shorts is dying quickly. ( just not to dinner at a nice resturaunt OK ?) Pizzeria is OK though.<BR> they dont care if you walk down the streets in shorts.<BR><BR> HOWEVER.. there are some churches ( i.e. ST mark's in Venice) that may not let you in with shorts or short skirts )

europeanwoman Jun 24th, 2002 06:27 AM

Real heat wave is over for the moment. Temps have dropped considerably in most parts of Europe.<BR>Don't bring tight denim jeans though.

Archie Jun 24th, 2002 06:33 AM

european woman, Not sure where you are, but Italy is still hot hot hot. <BR>and also humid.

no Jun 24th, 2002 06:41 AM

If you do wear shorts you will likely be attacked by a group of midget gypsies looking to steal your sandals.

Hiho Jun 24th, 2002 06:43 AM

A compromise - wear Capri's. All the young guys where I live - in a major NE US metro area - are wearing them this summer. Oh, they may not be called capri's - but thats what they are - cut about 6 inches above the ankle. So guys - wear them in Europe too!!

pam Jun 24th, 2002 07:28 AM

I, too, was worried about what to wear in Europe after all the postings on this site. However, after spending 2-1/2 weeks in France, Italy and London, I can say with certainty that NOBODY cares what you wear!! There are so many tourists that it doesn't matter! When we were in Rome it was unbearably hot -- we wore shorts (not short shorts, but longish shorts that are not tight-fitting, look nice and are comfortable) except the day we went to St. Peter's. You will do so much walking that you will be miserable if you are not comfortable with what you are wearing.<BR>Hope this helps.<BR>Pam<BR>

Kim Jun 24th, 2002 08:23 AM

Hi,<BR>I just returned Saturday from Capri, Florence and Venice. VERY surprised at all the people still wearing pants. We couldn't get into Harry's Bar in shorts nor the churches. Venice was so hot and extremely humid. For women, I recommend shorts if you aren't planning on going into churches that day. Plan to wear casual skirts or capris at night. I found it easier to cope with than my husband b/c I could wear light capris. Good luck with the heat wave.

European Jun 24th, 2002 08:30 AM

Loose, light linen pants or skirt are much cooler that shorts. Why do you think Berbers in Sahara wear their loose robes?

gaye Jun 24th, 2002 09:55 AM

Just returned from Rome, Florence and Venice. It was HOT and humid, especially in Venice. I wore capris, walking shorts (only once) and flowing skirts. Venice is so touristy, nobody cares what you wear, I saw everything. I found linen to be the best thing to beat the heat. Many Italian women wear linen also but with skin tight jeans! I don't think they notice the heat.<BR>Just wear what is cool and comfortable for you, and have a good time.

Claudia Jun 24th, 2002 10:13 AM

I was in the Italian Lake district last week where the June temps are usually pleasant but it was unbelievably hot and humid. Believe me-we all wore shorts as did practically everybody else I saw-except for the Italian construction men working on the roads, they were wearing what appeared to be bikini underwear.

maria Jun 27th, 2002 01:01 PM

I understand that male fashion in Italy has come to allow for shorts occasionally, but I am still wondering about churches in Florence and Rome. Does anyone have recent experience with men in shorts getting in, or not getting in, in either city? Thanks

Pat Jun 27th, 2002 01:19 PM

Ladies, you can always wear dresses, remember them? Men can wear Bermuda shorts in the day, and slacks at night. Unless you are going the low class route, then wear what you want, and no one will notice or care.

pam Jun 27th, 2002 02:06 PM

The churches in Venice, Florence and Rome all had guards posted at the entrance denying passage to those in shorts. My husband, who refuses to wear anything else besides shorts while on vacation, did capitulate and wear khakis to get into St. Peter's (it was worth it!). However, in Notre Dame in Paris, we all (two adults, two kids) were allowed inside with shorts on.<BR>Pam<BR>

x Jun 27th, 2002 04:18 PM

Didya ever sit on a hot metal chair in shorts???? want to be cool......<BR><BR><BR>wear a loose skirt..with no underwear<BR><BR>Want to get skin cancer ..wear shorts..<BR><BR>do you have cellulite...do not wear shorts<BR><BR>wear what the H*** you please ...this is an incredibly stupid question!<BR><BR>just be aware that what you look like may influence the people you encounter and the places you will be allowed to enter<BR><BR>

mark Jun 27th, 2002 04:27 PM

I was in Italy in early June. It rained plenty and was in the 70's. I wore shorts everyday and did not feel awkward. If it matters I'm 31.<BR><BR>If you are going to touristy places (Rome, Florence, Venice, Siena, Amalfi, Capri, etc) then do not think twice about shorts. Plenty of people wear them. If you are going to Cuomo and want to impress some rich person then I suppose you must sweat in your pants. The price for hanging out with the beautiful people.

Marilyn Jun 27th, 2002 09:45 PM

Every time I see another posting here about how Italians don't wear shorts I have to laugh. We stayed two years running in a remodeled farmhouse in Tuscany owned by a couple (he Italian, she British). When there was a heat wave, he wore shorts. They were very short, he wore them with black shoes and socks, and he even wore them into the train station in Florence to pick us up. So maybe the haute monde never wears shorts, but the hoi polloi sure do. (Usually I don't even notice this sort of stuff, but this was a real fashion statement.)