Shorts for children in Rome

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 08:34 AM
sarah

Shorts for children in Rome

Can anyone tell me if my 7 yr old son will be required to wear long pants while visiting the Vatican. I know adults are not allowed shorts or sleeveless tops. We leave on Monday and I am ready to get the suitcases packed. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 08:44 AM
joy

Sarah:

My 7-year old son wore shorts all the time on our recent trip to Italy including Rome. It was so hot especially in Rome that it is impossible to even consider wearing anything but shorts for him. Ditto for all the churches we visited in Central and Southern Italy.

Regards.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:13 AM
Book Chick

Hi Sarah,
In general, standards are always a bit more relaxed (particularly during beastly weather) for kids who are pre-teens. You will notice Italian children wearing shorts also. Your son should be fine. Enjoy your trip.
BC

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:49 AM
Hiho

Hiho here

Hi Sarah

How about a compromise - 3/4 length pants - vey "in" these days.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:07 AM
Jean

I was in Rome last month with my (just turned) 8 year old son. He wore shorts everywhere. I didn't know how strict the dress code for him would be at the Vatican and other churches, so he wore the pants that zipped off into shorts in the churches -- which we visited first in the mornings -- and after visiting the churches, he zipped off the pants legs and wore shorts (we were carrying a pack with a camera, so it was easy to stick the pants legs in that to carry).