Short trip to Seville question

Sep 26th, 2005, 06:07 AM
DCB
Original Poster

Short trip to Seville question

My daughter and I are meeting in Seville on a Thursday afternoon. She has to be back in Barcelona via Seville on Sunday. We want to visit Granada .Is it too much to do all this in this period of time? Are there any recommended tours in English for sites in Granada and Seville?
Sep 26th, 2005, 07:18 AM

A day and a half in Seville and a day trip to Granada would enable you to see the major sights, the cathedral and Alcazar in Seville and the Alhambra in Granada. Audio guides in English are available for rent at all three sites.
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:52 AM

We visited Sevilla and Granada last year, both cities are wonderful and worth to see with a guide, in Sevilla we use Antonio Doblas and Alfonso Jimenez in Granada
Sep 26th, 2005, 12:34 PM
DCB
Original Poster

abder:
How do I find the guides you mentioned and what can I expect to pay?
Sep 26th, 2005, 01:00 PM

I assume she has obtained one of the cheap fares from Granada to Barcelona on Iberia???? Flight time is one hour and 15 minutes.
Sep 26th, 2005, 02:23 PM
DCB
Original Poster

Unfortunately I booked a round trip ticket to Seville on Spanair
Sep 26th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Hey, no problem with that. How are you getting to and from Granada? We did the trip to Granada from Seville by rail..takes three hours..but I hear the bus service is faster.
Sep 26th, 2005, 03:16 PM
DCB
Original Poster

How was the train ride? i was a little concerned with the bus and motionsickness. I was thinking if we took the 7:00 am train to Granada we would arrive about 10:00 am. if I can find a tour guide that would show us the major sites ,we could return to Seville late that night or we could spend the night in Granada and return to Seville the next morning. What do you think?
Sep 26th, 2005, 04:42 PM

This is the very train we took and here is the deal..or at least here is how it WAS when we took it this past July.

We were traveling on rail passes. When we got to the station from our hotel in Seville I noticed that the train was marked as requiring mandatory seat reservations...something I had not anticipated.

I went into the ticket office and paid the 4 Euros for each seat res. I suspect you could easily wait until the morning of to get the tickets/seats with plenty of time to catch the 7AM departure. The ticket folks understood English.

The ride itself was comfortable and the train car was immaculately maintained. The scenery in that part of Spain is very similar to our USA "high desert"...instead of big cactus plants there were olive groves. B ut all the mesas and vistas like Arizona and eastern So. california were there, as was the architecture (no surprise..made me think that when the Spanish arrived in that part of the US any of them from Andalucia would have thought they had gone home!)

The train was on time. I love train rides..the only "bad" part of this segment was that sombody at Renfe evidently loves '40's and '50's US music. Frank Sinatra crooning "That Old Black Magic" over the speaker system was a hoot and, for me, somehat annoying!!!.

Plan on getting a taxi to the Alhambra if that's your main target...you cannot reasonably walk to it from the station.

When we arrived there weren't any taxis anywhere but some soon showed up.

Don;t know if you need to but you might consider ordering tickets for the Alhambra on line and have them waiting at the ticket office for you. You have to pick a time to go in.

The Alhambra turned out to be a lot more than I expected, especially the Generalife gardens. I've seen a lot of moorish architecture and the Nazerid Palace, while fascinating, didn't blow me away as it has some others.

Are you planning to stay in Granada overnight? If so, at least consider staying at the parador there since it is right on the Alhambra grounds..pricey and sometimes booked WAAAAAY in advance but worth it, IMO. But there are plenty of hotels in the city itself.

Enjoy Granada and Seville. Am sure you won't miss the cathedral and the Alcazar in the former which are, IMO, the main sights. The cathedral, particularly the gold leafed, or at least gilt, carved altarpiece which took some Flemish crafstman his ENTIRE life to complete is about as over-the-top as it gets!
Sep 26th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Ooops..sorry..meant to say the cathedral and the Alcazar in Seville, NOT Granada.
Sep 26th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Hi: I took a bus tour which I obtained from my hotel in Seville. The bus ride was comfortable and didnt have to worry about lines as ticket was included. Picked up at the hotel and didnt need taxis. Stayed at Hotel Alcantara in Old town which I obtained from this forum. Very new and clean and the a/c wonderful.Easy to walk to all bus or train stations. Have fun
Sep 27th, 2005, 06:17 AM
DCB
Original Poster

I now think we will go immediately from Seville to Granada via train then spend the night in Granada and return to Seville the next day. How far is the Santa Justa train station from the airport? If our plane arrives at 1:35pm could we make a 3:55 train to Granada? Also looking for a good recommendation for hotels in Granada.
Sep 27th, 2005, 08:28 AM

If your plane is on time, you will easily make the 3:55 train.
If you chooose that plan, you can make an advance reservation for the Alhambra for the following morning and take a late afternoon/early evening train back to Seville. With your tight schedule, you'll probably have to skip the rest of Granada.
If you want to see a bit of Granada the evening you arrive, select a hotel in town with easy access to the bus up to Alhambra. I stayed at the Hotel Puerta de las Granadas last spring and recommend it -- reasonably priced, well located just off the big square where the Alhambra buses board, wonderfully helpful English-speaking staff.
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:16 AM

We paid 120 euros for a half day tour in Sevilla with Antonio Doblas visiting the alcasar and cathedral and 125 in Granada visiting Alhambra and gardens