Search

Galway vs Ennis

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galway vs Ennis

We are flying into Shannon in June and planned to spend 2 nights in Galway/County Clare area to see Connemara, the cliffs, maybe the burren and/or aran islands. I've read the best town to stay in Clare is Ennis. We would like to stay the 2 nights in the same place in either Galway or Ennis. What would best in terms of going back and forth to these places? Any recommendations are appreciated. Is the city of Galway itself a better stay than Ennis would be?

Thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:24 AM

Hmm. You're rushing it, and one of the reasons is that any distance in Ireland in driving time should be DOUBLE what you think it is. Plus Connemara is not in County Clare at all--it's in County Galway--and it's north of Galway.

If you are determined to do this in two days, I would not stay in Ennis. You could see the Cliffs of Moher and route yourself through the Burren on your way to Galway or another point north.

I tend to think of Clifden as a better night's stay from which to explore Connemara. But there are other places you could stay, too. Letterfrack is the closest town to the Connemara National Park center, for example, and would provide easy access to Kylemore Abbey.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 07:05 AM

If you are gong to do the Conemara and the Arans then you need to look at Galway. Ennis is a great base for the whole of county Clare although 90% of tourists only think of the Cliffs of Moher. Inis Oirr is the only one of the Arans I would sail to from Doolin, Inis Mor should be done from Rossaveal.

What are your plans after the first two days?

Assuming Dingle as the next stop then you could jet lag permitting see the Cliffs on the way up to Galway. That gives a clear run back down the N/M18 and through the Shannon tunnel.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses... So would it be smart to do one night in Galway to see Connemara/Aran and one night in Ennis to do the cliffs/burren?? Any B&Bs you can recommend in both?
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 08:01 AM

I've only been to Galway but loved the city. Its easy to take a day trip to the Aran Islands from there. Stay in a hotel close to Eyre Square -- great nite life, restaurants, and shopping. I would stay in Galway 2 nites especially if you add a side excursion to the Aran Islands
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 08:01 AM

Doing that plan I would be tempted to head straight up to Galway on the Main M/N18 and stay somewhere like Prauge House on the Galway/Salthill border. The next day depending on weather you could do a Connemara drive or a day trip to Inis Mor. The next day head down through the Burren for the Dolmen and Ring Fort above Ballyvaughan, take the coast road past Black Head and Fanore for the moonscape and coast to Doolin.

If you had not done Inis Mor then you could skip some of the above and take the 11am crossing to Inis Oirr combined with the Cliffs of Moher cruise (best way to see the cliffs these days from the sea)then drop down to Ennis. We use Grey Gables which is a 2 minute walk to O'Connell St and the Centre. Pub meal in Brogans and maybe stay on for the music or have a wander around the other bars.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 08:02 AM

11am crossing from Doolin (just to clarify)