Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Short stay hotel at/near Athens airport? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/short-stay-hotel-at-near-athens-airport-645098/)

cruisinred Sep 8th, 2006 05:37 AM

Short stay hotel at/near Athens airport?

I am trying to piece together a trip to Greece for next summer. The flight I am looking at would be arriving into Athens at 2:30am, and we would then connect to a flight to Santorini at 12:30pm.

Can anyone suggest a short-stay type hotel, either at the airport or in town? My plan would be to catch a few hours rest, and then get an early start to see the Acropolis, before heading back to the airport for the noon flight.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

AllyPally Sep 8th, 2006 06:37 AM

How about getting the 07.30 high speed catamaran from Piraeus to Santorini, bringing you in around 11.40am? That way, you only need to kill a few hours and you will be in Thira before your flight even lands. You can always tack on Athens at the end of your trip?

We were in Athens last week. Depending on how you plan on getting into the city, you have transfer times to factor in. By the time you get up the Acropolis, you will need to be running back down to get back to the airport.

There is a Holiday Inn very close to the airport which gets booked up (because there isn't much else around and the Sofitel connected to the airport is much more expensive). Why don't you just book in there, catch some ZZZZZZ and leave out the Acropolis so that you're not exhausted by the time you get to Santorini? As I said, you could tack Athens on to the end of your trip. This is advisable anyway, so that you're as close to the airport as possible on your return journey home.

cruisinred Sep 8th, 2006 10:00 AM

Thanks Ally.
No, we would not have time in Athens at the end of the trip. Our time in Santorini would be "tacked on" to a larger trip...we will have to do an all-Greece trip at another time.

I would anticipate getting into Athens via taxi by 4am...head on the pillow for about 3 hours(cheap hotel near the Acropolios)...then up 7-ish to see the sights for 2.5-3 hours, then back to the airport to catch the flight to Santorini.

Sounds crazy I realize, but would beat sitting in the airport for 10 hours.

AllyPally Sep 9th, 2006 11:09 AM

I see what you mean. Would definitely beat sitting in an airport for 10 hours! I don't know what to suggest. I guess you will need a hotel that will have 24 hour reception. We stayed at The Herodion Hotel which might be the thing for you. We booked directly on their website and got a good room for 130 Euros (rack is 226). This is a fabulous hotel, very modern with great staff. We arrived really early (about 7am) and they allowed us to check right in. The thing that really stands out about this hotel is the roof top garden. This has the most amazing view of the Parthenon and there are two jacuzzis from which to enjoy this view. It's not cheesy at all, it's very well done. I think the rooftop closes at 11pm but maybe reception could make an exception for you? Otherwise, definitely try the Holiday Inn near the airport. You could leave your luggage with them while you sightsee?

ajdj Sep 13th, 2006 02:02 PM

If you go to the Sofitel website, you can book at a significant discount if you opt for the pay immediate on booking/no cancellation option.