Short review of the Hilton in Paris

Mar 31st, 2007, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Short review of the Hilton in Paris

Hi

I went to Paris last week for a couple of days for business. I stayed at the Hilton near the Eiffel tower. Here is a short review and some pictures: http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_Hilton.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Mar 31st, 2007, 05:08 AM

Hi gard, Hilton Eiffel Tower is available for 120us per night in August thro Hotwire. We are travelling with our 2 kids and have booked 2 rooms at a hotel in the 6th, However at this price I am starting to consider it. My concern is the area at night will be quite, that its a cold bussiness like atmosphere(we are hilton honors memebers ). Any advice.thanks
Mar 31st, 2007, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the review! This is very timely for me, as my husband and I switched our reservations to this hotel when we saw the great Hotwire rates for May. I know you weren't there very long, but did you try any of the restaurants, bakeries, etc in the area?
Mar 31st, 2007, 11:48 AM

Hi!
I would love to hear about the restaurants, bakeries, etc. in this area as well...as I will be staying here in May.

I heard mixed reviews about the Brasserie Chez Ribe opposite the hotel. Does anyone have comments?
Mar 31st, 2007, 03:08 PM

I've had the pleasure of staying at the Hilton Paris for a total of about 7-8 weeks over the past few years and have eaten at most of the restauraunts in the neighborhood. Here are my opinions on some of them. All restaurants listed are in walking distance from the hotel.

Restaurant de la Tour - 6, rue Desaix (right around the corner). Excellent family owned, Provencal bistrot. Very good, reasonably priced wines. Lovely, small dining room with about 30 covers. Dinner for two with very good wine, approx. E120.

Brasserie Suffren - 84, av de Suffren (8 blocks from hotel). Family owned and bustling. Very, very good seafood. After 9pm it's a totally local crowd. Oohh-la-la what wonderful Crepes Suzette!

Les Olivides - 41, av de Segur (15 to 20 minute walk). My DH's favorite restaurant. Local upper-middle-class clientele restaurant with a Maitre Cuisinier de France (Master Chefs of France) chef, owner. Also, Provincal cuisine. The best Grand Marnier Souffle in the world! Dinner al la carte runs about E120 without wine but also has a very good prix fixe dinner.

Le Boujalais(sp). On av de Suffren right "next door" to the Hilton. very good cafe for breakfast. American breakfast E11. Lunch and dinner is also good - especially their roast chicken.

Chez Ribe - across the street from the hotel. I've had some good meals here and DH says he's had the best scallops he's ever eaten there. I'm sorry to say, last April I had one of my worst meals in Paris here. Stick to the prix fixe and avoid the beef steak.

Bistrot du Breteuil- 3, pl de Breteuil (15 - 20 minute walk). A totally prix fixe restaurant. Dinner is E32 per person with a choice of 6 entrees, 6 mains, 6 desserts. Includes a bottle of OK wine but you can pay a surcharge for a better bottle. Although I see this restaurant mentioned on travel sites, I've never heard anything but French spoken - very local clientele who know a good value. This also has the largest "terrace" in Paris.

Also, the restaurant in the Hilton is really very good. I've eaten here several times and was never disappointed. Actually, I only expected this restaurant to be OK but it's much better than that! If you get an urge for a good old fashioned American burgher - this is the place.

I arrive back at this hotel in three weeks for my next visit. This time, DH will be staying home and I'll be traveling with our 24 year old daughter - The Chef. Can't wait!!
Mar 31st, 2007, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the great information!
Mar 31st, 2007, 08:33 PM

The area around the Hilton Paris is definitely quieter, but we like that.

We prefer the buses to the metro and there are several convenient routes near the Hilton, along with one that runs until 12:30 AM daily.

Agree with the advice not to order beef at Chez Ribe, or any other moderately priced restaurant in Paris, as it tends to be very tough and stringy (even filet mignon will not be great quaility). Otherwise, it's a very nice restaurant.

Here's another huge recommendation for Bistrot du Breteuil.

Another place we really enjoy is Le Tournesol, across the river in the 16th. http://www.le-tournesol.fr/

If you wander across Champs de Mars to the 7th, the neighborhood is chock full of terrific bakeries and moderately priced restaurants.

There's a taxi stand right in front of the Hilton. What you save on the rate with Hotwire will more than cover a few taxi fares if necessary.
Apr 1st, 2007, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi

I normally don't eat at the hotel when I travel. We went out to eat one nigth in Paris but we walked over to L'Ascot near Champs Elysee. If you want some general advice you should check out my trip report with pictures and links where I have written about the restaurants that my wife and I went to last year. You can find my Paris trip report on http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm

Regards
Gard
Apr 1st, 2007, 05:50 AM

Hi djkbooks:
Can you also recommend a few places in the 7th?

I want to thank everyone for this helpful info!
Apr 1st, 2007, 06:53 AM

The first few times I ate at Le Suffren ( http://www.aveyron.com/parisien/suffren.html ), I enjoyed it but the last time I was there (late last year) it was VERY disappointing. I ordered the salmon...it was obviously cheap farm-raised salmon (artificially pink and virtually tasteless, also very dry). Maybe their other dishes are still good, but don't order the salmon.
Apr 1st, 2007, 08:30 AM

Hi Gard
I am a bit confused (not at all unusual).
You seem to conclude that you would not hesitate to recommend the Hilton, yet no hot water, €6 Perrier, 27€ for 24 hours WiFi, the noise of water and the elevator, and a too hard bed would appear to be a stiff price to pay for a room with a view.
Couple it all with the price.
No hot water alone usually results in a comped room and an unsatisfactory rating.
What am I missing?
Apr 1st, 2007, 10:19 AM

I'm kind of surprised about a "hard mattress" comment. All of the Hilton brand properties have the patented Hilton bed (I'm sure in order to compete with the other big American chains). I guess it depends on what you're used to. Personally, I've had a Dux bed for the last dozen years and it is ultra soft-kind of like sleeping on a cloud So the Hilton bed is firmer than what I'm used to but still comfortable. Also, at this Hilton, the hot water is adjusted in a unique (to me) way. It's difficult to explain but there is a safety button on the side of the hot water knob that has to be held in to adjust the temperature.
Apr 1st, 2007, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi

I understand the confusion and I'll try my best to clarify The lack of hot water is hopefully an isolated incident...so I hope that not many other customers will experience this. We booked our room very late and we had to pay 250€ per night...I guess the late booking also influences which room you get and I got the one right by the elevator. So I would not recommend this to a friend for 250€ per night....but if it was possible to get it for 120$ it is far more acceptable...that is about 90€ and that is what I paid for the 2 star TimHotel Tour Eiffel last year (see http://gardkarlsen.com/Timhotel_Tour...ris_France.htm )...Hilton was better than TimHotel

The price of beverages in the hotel minibar is always steep in Europe at least..this is solved easily by shopping at local grocery store.

About the bed being hard...well, I didn't say it was brick hard...I just said it was a bit hard for my likings...I normally like the bed soft.

So there you have it...if you can get a room at the Hilton for 120$ it is a good deal...if you have to pay 250€ it is not worth it...but the location of the hotel is good

Regards
Gard

Apr 1st, 2007, 11:33 PM

We've run into "no hot water" occasionally - usually just due to too many guests showering at the same time, such as 6-7AM or 7-8PM...and if you wait 10-15 minutes...you're all set.

Favorite restaurants in the 7th include (in no particular order) Au Bon Accueil, Le P'Tit Troquet, La Varangue, La Chamarre, Bistrot de Breteuil, D'Chez Eux, Nabuchodonosor, L'Affriole, Bistrot du 7eme.

But, it's really best to wander all over peeking in windows and perusing posted menus, then reserving where you find most appealing.
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:46 AM

How do you all feel about utilizing the hop on hop off bus and/or the batobus for transportation in lieu of the metro?

Is it a good idea to purchase the combo bus/boat for transportation...or would one use the boat once and the bus more often?
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi

I have used the hop on hop off bus once but in general (at least if you are staying for several days) it is better to get a card for the metro and use that as a way of transportation

Regards
Gard
Apr 9th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Has anyone been to Rotisserie Beaujolais in the 5th....I've heard good things.

Please advise.

Thanks...
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi

Yes, I went to La Rotisserie Du Beaujolais with my wife last year. I have written about where we went to eat on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/eat_drink_Paris_France.htm

Regards
Gard
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:41 PM

bookmark...thx
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:43 AM

Thanks Gard, love your review!
Is Galleri Lafayette worth a visit?
Thanks for your tips on good coffee spots!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO